Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

To me it seems that Server Meshing is the Linchpin for the entire Star Citizen project. If they dont get it to work, and cant divvy up the systems, then they will be spinning up some mahoosive EC2's in order to accomodate the requirements. Which will get expensive, cumbersome and limiting. Dare I say it, could it be the straw that breaks the camels back ?

As mentioned by AkenBosch ... This should really have been nailed down from the offset as this functionality is core.

Problem is, we've heard this before, many times.

Without (tech) the game can't be done. Once (tech) is done things will get much better.

I'll also steal a quote from SA, this one from Sarsa

MMO games at their core are about finding fun loops that players want to do over and over, and then giving them excuses to do them over and over. Elite has dogfighting and rover-ing and the signal exploration stuff and mining and trading and a few other ~10m loops that can be repeated basically forever, and it cuts corners in the ways that hurt the least in order to give the player the best experience. Drop out of supercruise in an asteroid field and it's going to load you into a new map and spawn guys around you. Does it matter to anyone who just wants to hunt bounties that these guys didn't exist a second before, or that the game had to load a new map? No, of course not. But Star Citizen's whole premise is that it does, and it is focused on forcing everything to be real to the point that the core gameplay loops are all a broken mess, and that is why Star Citizen is ultimately a flaming failure that can never be completed.

So what does your head (not your heart) tell you is the most likely outcome?
Don't know.
They need icache working ingame to add server meshing and CIG is just at the beginning of adding it to the alpha (I was wrongly thinking last year that CIG had started to add it).
Icache is needed because that's the service that will serve all entities to the server (for what I've understood).
So before even asking if server meshing will work or not, we have to ask if icache will work or not.

Don't know.
They need icache working ingame to add server meshing and CIG is just at the beginning of adding it to the alpha (I was wrongly thinking last year that CIG had started to add it).
Icache is needed because that's the service that will serve all entities to the server (for what I've understood).
So before even asking if server meshing will work or not, we have to ask if icache will work or not.
So what does your head tell you?
Edit: When did we first hear about this stuff?

Last edited:
CR teaches the faithful not to think. Instead to recite the holy litany while the plate is passed round.

I must not FUD.
FUD is the mind-killer.
FUD is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my FUD.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the FUD has gone there will be nothing. Only Star Citizen will remain

Last edited:
It will be a fail for CIG if they can't make it working like they want. They will have to add loading screen everywhere and CIG will struggle to fit all ships with more than 10 crew members in the gameplay.
I'm a developper, I just wait the final result. I don't see bugs in alpha as proof of incomptence from a team.

Server meshing was supposed to be in by 2018. And 2019.

They then reduced that to just the minor stepping stone of iCache coming mid 2020. Now coming Q2 2021...

Without server meshing they are massively blocked. No extra systems, no giant player ships, massive caps on content, and a queue of game mechanics which can't even be prototyped.

Most people, developer or not, can see that this is project management incompetence. To be 8 years after kickstarter, 10 years after initial prototyping, completely unable to proceed in any meaningful way. They face further years of only being able to produce assets and basic functions. A production phase that has to stretch into the 1.5 decade span, even if things go well, to vaguely hit its targets. A time span which is littered with the corpses of flawed and failed projects. And that's the positive scenario, where the miracle tech of server meshing actually comes to pass.

Most people can also see that pre-selling giant $2k ships, and other promises of seamless gaming exceptionalism, prior to server meshing enabling those things is a deeply dubious practice.

Maybe one day you'll notice this too ;)

Last edited:
What will icache do exactly ?

Is it anything like this ?

1611499037900.png

CR teaches the faithful not to think. Instead to recite the holy litany while the plate is passed round.

I must not FUD.
FUD is the mind-killer.
FUD is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my FUD.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the FUD has gone there will be nothing. Only Star Citizen will remain
CR doesn't teach them anything...they do that all by themselves ;)

40 players and the whole Stanton system in an instance. And one of the goal of server meshing is to not have to manage the whole Stanton system in an instance.
You know, normal game developers develop those types of systems first, before they waste hundreds of millions of dollars developing art assets that will inevitably need to be redone time and time again, as the core game systems are completed. Especially games that have are using a "playable now" development strategy.

What will icache do exactly ?
If I understood correctly, it's the final service that get and push all datas (universe/entities/ships/players and their related datas) from/to the databases to the client. It's a mix of direct access and cache data service.
It's perhaps a more important tech than server meshing.

Yes we are circling.
What you describe is exactly the definition of a basic server meshing = passing in game from one server to another with all your inventory and your friends and your ennemies while keeping a way to communicate between servers. As CIG doesn't have [even] already this basic version of server meshing, they can't add others systems.

So for ten points, what do you think their absolute no #1 priority should be, the one that literally every scrap of money they have should have been spent on for at least the last two years of development ahead of any and all other things, since it's such a vital aspect of the entire underpinning architecture upon which the entire game (funded entirely by its backers) will be constructed?

a) virtual soft toys
b) pointless events
c) pictures of 'future content' designed to excite the marketing department
d) handbags
e) buy an Idris!

Now it could be that I just don't understand software development, I am after all just one of those daft mugs who actually buys computer games, but I have another answer to that question which is omitted from the above list. I wonder if you can guess what it could be? I'll give you a clue - it would have involved hiring about three studios fewer of graphic artists and designers and maybe a few more people who can code instead.

Of course that's not sexy though. Not when you have a website to make and tv shows to make. Who wants to see boring blokes with beards making pages full of text and numbers and stuff!

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
You know, normal game developers develop those types of systems first, before they waste hundreds of millions of dollars developing art assets that will inevitably need to be redone time and time again, as the core game systems are completed. Especially games that have are using a "playable now" development strategy.

It is the same "fake it until you make it" strategy used somewhat successfully by Thomas Edison, and less so by Elizabeth Holmes of Theranos ill repute.

" Carreyrou, who is interviewed in the film, makes the point that Holmes was part of that same “fake it till you make it” ethos, which has become a part of Silicon Valley folklore. It’s a story I have been told so many times by so many founders. In most cases, the faking was required to buy time to finesse a product. Other times, it was in order to raise money or to get a company sold to a large buyer. "

All ships are awaiting yet another refactor since CR wants pipes carrying air throughout them.

I bet the artists and modellers just love CR!

If I understood correctly, it's the final service that get and push all datas (universe/entities/ships/players and their related datas) from/to the databases to the client. It's a mix of direct access and cache data service.
It's perhaps a more important tech than server meshing.

More important than the thing that is allegedly required for the game to have more than 1 system and to be able to handle more players stably even for 1 system?

Interesting.

Top Bottom