Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Typical of the Star Citizen mentality...instead of all pulling together to get this Xeno threat mission tested in the PTU environment, they're using it as yet another excuse to seek out PvP and shooting eachother rather than testing the mission. I suppose it's the whole point in the end, pitting players against eachother to disguise and gloss over the broken shyte everywhere else...I just don't see why they need to add the pointless scenario of a PvE mission to do it...since PvP can be found everywhere anyway.

That is not unique to SC. It's what happens when you throw wolves and sheep into a pen.

If it goes backwards any faster, Chris Roberts will be redoing the kickstarter...

Just think of the extra fund they could raise by promising a while new bunch of stuff!

I've thought for a while actually CR should close down the project by saying the tech required for his vision just isn't there. But that he would be back in a few years when the tech is there to do a new kickstarter for Star Citizen 2: The Search for More Money

The whales will nod sagely and agree saying they already got their money's worth out of SC1 and will pledge even harder next time around.

As CIG doesn't have already this basic version of server meshing, they can't add others systems.

Yes, we are painfully aware they don't have this. However, the solution i propose is a hell of a lot simpler than they want to do and they could probably have it within a month if they decided to, opening up new systems for players to visit.

If that really is too hard for CIG, then just add new systems to visit from the main menu when you load in. Depending on which system you choose to launch into, it just then chooses an appropriate server.

Of course... this would assume they have other systems for people to visit and that them showing off pyro landscapes and stuff wasn't just marketing fluff thrown together in lumberyard or unity or something just to get people pledging more. Surely CIG would never do that.

Yes we are cercling.
What you describe is exactly the definition of a basic server meshing = passing in game from one server to another with all your inventory and your friends and your ennemies while keeping a way to communicate between servers. As CIG doesn't have already this basic version of server meshing, they can't add others systems.
But they struggle to run the game as it is now with 40 players in an instance. Can you explain why that is?

But they struggle to run the game as it is now with 40 players in an instance. Can you explain why that is?
40 players and the whole Stanton system in an instance. And one of the goal of server meshing is to not have to manage the whole Stanton system in an instance.

40 players and the whole Stanton system in an instance. And one of the goal of server meshing is to not have to manage the whole Stanton system in an instance.
Thanks for the answer. I suppose my reaction to that is, what if they can't get server meshing working? Have they got a contingency plan?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
The desync and server 30k's are the worst they've been since 3.8 regardless of them removing Delamar and reducing the player cap to 40. The entirely backer generated myth that this is a step toward adding more content is so far off the mark it's almost like looking for god in a teacup.
You mean just the PTU or current live?

You mean just the PTU or current live?
Live is still pretty stable, I played for around 7 hours last night with no 30k's or client crashes at all. The PTU...albeit that first wave PTU builds are usually unstable anyway...is terrible. 30k's are averaging around every 20 minutes on the EU servers...sometimes more frequent.

The trouble with the live build isn't the servers chucking out 30k's, it's the server backend services not working...which covers trade terminals and the like. We can play but everything tied to using a trade terminal is broken...that leaves pew related activity, box delivery missions if the delivery is accepted (backend services again) or a bit of ship mining.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you but here goes.

Server meshing is not happening.

It is up there with "Unicorn mates with Care Bear, producing Chris Roberts, who then goes to design server meshing for SC" levels of dreaming.
I don't think you're breaking the hard news that any of us still involved with the project...besides the faithful... don't already know ;)

A few of us from chat...most of them being the regular Star Citizen donkey wallopers I've met over the years, decided to faff about since nothing was working too well. We did mass box delivery missions in my Gemini for a bit...or flinging boxes at eachother with tractor beams would be a more accurate description... We then decided to experiment to find out how many Roc mining buggies we could fit in the back...We managed 6 before they all started vibrating due to the dodgy physics until the inside of the Gemini resembled a giant tumble dryer. I don't think anyone actually heard or saw the massive explosion that killed us all, we were all laughing so hard...

Not a typical Star Citizen session but merely a distraction from the absolute mess of a game we were supposed to be playing ;)

uDO0F1v.png

Last edited:
We then decided to experiment to find out how many Roc mining buggies we could fit in the back...We managed 6 before they all started vibrating due to the dodgy physics until the inside of the Gemini resembled a giant tumble dryer. I don't think anyone actually heard or saw the massive explosion that killed us all, we were all laughing so hard...

...... that sounds like fun.

Maybe SC should stop pretending to be a space sim and go full on Goat Simulator, except instead of actual game play, the bugs are the game play.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. I suppose my reaction to that is, what if they can't get server meshing working? Have they got a contingency plan?
To me it seems that Server Meshing is the Linchpin for the entire Star Citizen project. If they dont get it to work, and cant divvy up the systems, then they will be spinning up some mahoosive EC2's in order to accomodate the requirements. Which will get expensive, cumbersome and limiting. Dare I say it, could it be the straw that breaks the camels back ?

As mentioned by AkenBosch ... This should really have been nailed down from the offset as this functionality is core.

Hate to say it but...... that sounds like fun.

Maybe SC should stop pretending to be a space sim and go full on Goat Simulator, except instead of actual game play, the bugs are the game play.
This is what the guy who did the hilarious Major Tom SC videos on YouTube had to say about this a few months back...

I had a vague rule back then, play the game for an hour and edit the video for an hour. Although the backers were desperate for me to be spending days looking for bugs it simply wasn't true, I played for an hour and that's it - and I never looked for bugs, I played for an hour and posted the results. That was the fun to me.
Now? Naaaahhhhhhhhhhhh - **** that... The game now is unbearable. It's stagnant, stale, bland, generic and just offensively dull.
With every feature added was another layer of banality, with every stability improvement (lol) there was a fresh sheen of anti sceptic applied. They killed its soul while never understanding that it had one.

Posted on Something Awful.

Last edited:
It will be a fail for CIG if they can't make it working like they want. They will have to add loading screen everywhere and CIG will struggle to fit all ships with more than 10 crew members in the gameplay.
So what does your head (not your heart) tell you is the most likely outcome?

Top Bottom