Perma Loss - How Many?

So, I posted a question about a ship I built and someone asked me "Are you afraid to die?" Apparently because I tanked the hell out of it. Fair enough question, I guess, but it got me thinking about NMS and Permadeath mode, which in my opinion is the ONLY way to play NMS. That got me thinking about "dying" in Elite Dangerous...

Rebuys. Pff! Anyone that's been playing this game for a good amount of time probably has BILLIONS in the bank. Flying around in a Vette or Cutter, anything with a high rebuy cost is nothing to someone that has even a modest, maybe a few hundred million to few billion or more in their bank. Losing a ship with a $50M rebuy means little, however, losing the ship and all the work it took to build it, permanently, would have actual meaning!

So I ask... how many people would like to see a "Perma Loss" mode in this game, to make it more interesting and would you fly in that mode? Knowing that if you died, that's it, that ship and ALL the MAT grinding time it took to built it... gone. No option to just rebuy it, Sidewinder is the only option! No rebuy screen, just a respawn in a Sidewinder to get you back to whatever other ships you have, if you can even get back in that stock Sidewinder ;) And, just to add a little more fun... there's no ship transfer! No, you have to use the Sidewinder, or buy something else to get you back home.

I think a mode like this would add a lot more skill to the game. Try playing NMS on Permadeath, and you'll get it. Death is real, ship loss is for good! You'd need to buy and rebuild that ship from scratch! Back, when I first started this game and up until the point I learned to VO mine and made some billions, I was very careful not to lose ships, flew in Solo a lot to ENG sites, but now, it's like whatever... I can buy my ship back, not even feel the pinch and make the money back in a few Robigo runs. Is that game play, is that a challenge? Nothing says I HAVE to buy my ship back, but what if the option were not even there?!

Last edited:
Permadeath usually doesn't go too well with multiplayer games, but there's a small demand for that niche here and there I'm sure.
There's already some content creator I think who did such runs: resetting the account on death. You can reset your account anytime in the main Menu if you wish, so what you want can be achieved. Forcing this onto everyone? As I said, few people would be interested in playing with such a thing and Open would be quite dangerous, risky and empty and sad.

Permadeath usually doesn't go too well with multiplayer games, but there's a small demand for that niche here and there I'm sure.
There's already some content creator I think who did such runs: resetting the account on death. You can reset your account anytime in the main Menu if you wish, so what you want can be achieved. Forcing this onto everyone? As I said, few people would be interested in playing with such a thing and Open would be quite dangerous, risky and empty and sad.
No, not forcing it, just as an option, Open, Solo, Perma... just like NMS has Normal, Creative, Permadeath... If you forced this on everyone, there'd be no more players the next day. Maybe a few Hard Core guys and gals, but space would be really empty! 😆

It's not my idea of fun but I'm certain there are others that would endorse it as they are playing the game this way anyway. Not sure how adding a specific mode for it would make a difference though? I suppose it might mean you don't start in the noob zone every time.

You can reset at any point, including after the rebuy screen. I dunno what you want that currently isn't possible?

It's just a mode, that makes you lose your ship if you lose your ship. There's no mode in the game now that forces you to lose anything but some credits. See? It's a skill, a challenge mode, that's all. A way to play that forces you to really consider your choices. Think, ganker losing his billion dollar Cutter when he loses a gank, however, gankers probably would not play in this mode. Too bad there's probably no way to force a ganker into this mode for a set time when he kills a newb for giggles.

It's just a mode, that makes you lose your ship if you lose your ship. There's no mode in the game now that forces you to lose anything but some credits. See? It's a skill, a challenge mode, that's all. A way to play that forces you to really consider your choices. Think, ganker losing his billion dollar Cutter when he loses a gank, however, gankers probably would not play in this mode. Too bad there's probably no way to force a ganker into this mode for a set time when he kills a newb for giggles.
What I'm saying is that you or anyone interested in such a mode can already do exactly what you want, by resetting the commander data upon death... It's about you following it the rule you impose on yourself or not...

You can achieve 100% what you want by enforcing on yourself the save reset if you die. That's it.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is that you or anyone interested in such a mode can already do exactly what you want, by resetting the commander data upon death... It's about you following it the rule you impose on yourself or not...

You can achieve 100% what you want by enforcing on yourself the save reset if you die. That's it.

Ha! I am not that disciplined. The "Mode" would make me be. But, I get what you're saying, I do.

You wanna fragment the community even more then? It's already mostly not cross platform. Imagine subdividing even more :(
Someone is scared of getting blown up I see 😉

Where we are currently this would make no difference. No one suggested the whole game be changed to be like this. It's suggesting an Ironman mode. It really isn't as big of a deal as you're trying to make it

Someone is scared of getting blown up I see 😉
You gotta get your eyes checked if you can see that then... I play 95% of the time in open, the 5% in solo is material farming with relogging "mechanics".

And yeah it's no big deal, it's already there. Delete the save if you die... lol Nothing to change or add, the feature is in the game already, it's a matter of personal choice.

But you play in open with ability to rebuy. You are scared that you'd lose all your 'hard earned' stuffz if this mode was made. That's why you are so adamantly against it. Otherwise it wouldn't matter to you. The thing is it will never happen and even if it did, the OP suggested it as a separate mode. It would still be a matter of personal choice. But also choosing to play with others in such a way. So unless you are afraid of this you wouldn't be so strongly against it. 😏

I wouldn't play in it as my main play style. Only when I felt like it( assuming I'd have a separate save for that cmdr).

I'm for it because it benefits others desires to play like this without affecting me either way.it wouldn't affect you either so why are you so strongly against it?

Last edited:
So unless you are afraid of this you wouldn't be so strongly against it. 😏
[...]
I'm for it because it benefits others desires to play like this without affecting me either way.it wouldn't affect you either so why are you so strongly against it?
Point me where I was against it? All I said, many times over, is that this feature is already in the game for anyone who wishes. There's nothing to be added, it's already in the game. You can reset your commander data when you die. It's optional and in the game. Same as you, I'd not do that myself though.

But you play in open with ability to rebuy. You are scared that you'd lose all your 'hard earned' stuffz if this mode was made. That's why you are so adamantly against it. Otherwise it wouldn't matter to you. The thing is it will never happen and even if it did, the OP suggested it as a separate mode. It would still be a matter of personal choice. But also choosing to play with others in such a way. So unless you are afraid of this you wouldn't be so strongly against it. 😏

I wouldn't play in it as my main play style. Only when I felt like it( assuming I'd have a separate save for that cmdr).

Thanks for the backup, you get what I am saying. There are a lot of people that play Elite, that THINK they are truly "Elite", but when it came down to actually losing something of real value in time spent and MUCH more $$$, aside for a paltry amount of credits... would they opt in to play that Mode? Not many, I am sure. It would separate the the true Elites from the chaff though. Ironman Mode. I like that! Also, you lose your ship kit and fancy paint job too! Ha! ;)

I'd not do that myself though.

That's the entire object of the Mode. You have no choice. So, if you chose to play in "Ironman" Mode, you KNOW you're in that Mode... it's no longer up to you to delete anything, you lose your ship if you die, and into the Sidewinder ... period. No backing out at the last minute. All I am saying. You gotta play NMS in Permadeath, it's an entirely different experience. It gets the blood pumping, it's a rush! Knowing that death is on your butt and one f**k up and you're done.

But I don't see why a determined commander who wants such a mode can't force himself to press the "reset data" button. But yes I see a mode that would be interesting and people would be very careful in it. Maybe a seasonal thing, that gets reset each 6 months or so. With leaderbords of who had i) most credits, ii) most exploration, iii) most pvp kills, etc. Where you die and you die. Wait for next season or start over. That could be interesting indeed!

Point me where I was against it? All I said, many times over, is that this feature is already in the game for anyone who wishes. There's nothing to be added, it's already in the game. You can reset your commander data when you die. It's optional and in the game. Same as you, I'd not do that myself though.
My mistake I misinterpreted your meaning. My other point stands true still. Each cmdr has the ability to choose to do this in any mode now. That is correct. But what is missing from that is a level playing field where other cmdrs would also have this handicapp as well. At present you can't say either way what other players will or won't do.

@OP you could start a private group under the pretenses of no rebuy as a rule. Can't guarantee others work follow that rule but tbh, how many would just clog on npcs in an actual ironman/survival mode anyways

But I don't see why a determined commander who wants such a mode can't force himself to press the "reset data" button. But yes I see a mode that would be interesting and people would be very careful in it. Maybe a seasonal thing, that gets reset each 6 months or so. With leaderbords of who had i) most credits, ii) most exploration, iii) most pvp kills, etc. Where you die and you die. Wait for next season or start over. That could be interesting indeed!
I think you're onto something... it could be like the CQC Mode this game has. I've never played it, but I can imagine a Mode, if not in the Game proper, that's more like a "Group Mode" where you know ALL players in this Mode have everything to lose, and you get to use your own ship builds. I think in the CQC thing, you have to use a supplied ship, right, not your own?

Top Bottom