Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Persistent Streaming & Server Meshing
Duration: 53 Weeks
Description: Proprietary Server Meshing and Persistence Technology will allow Star Citizen to scale up it's shared universe across game servers. Eventually this technology will allow thousands of players to co-exist in the verse. Once the first version of this is implemented the number of servers and players will increase over successive versions.

Urgh - that's the exact opposite of even the most elementary scalable architecture drawn by a n00b on his first day on the job.

Utterly gobsmacking how they can get the basic fundamentals so catastrophically wrong.

Urgh - that's the exact opposite of even the most elementary scalable architecture drawn by a n00b on his first day on the job.

Utterly gobsmacking how they can get the basic fundamentals so catastrophically wrong.
Maybe they're trying the Vogon* way of doing things, without realising it won't work outside of fiction.

*IIRC it was Vogons who were too stubborn to fail when they couldn't possibly succeed.

Well when it comes such people that really invested money in, not those who made "pledges" I wonder too. Does CR pay return on investements from backers money, or what he exactly promised? Or did he really manage to sell them just a stake in whole venture and investors are waiting CR to deliver? If he did latter then he really IS quite good salesman...

We have people on record who claimed to be 30-50K in....what amount would deserve the label "investment" entitling the investor for some kind of return payment? I suppose a 5-6 digit pledge gives you special treatment as in talking to the big boss from time to time or getting office tours and invites on a regular basis but thats about it (basically what Bootcha described). He cant really sell company stakes without people showing up in a paper trail either, CIG is not a stock corporation. Private investors most likely have to be alright with a formal agreement and I m not sure I would trust that kind of money on a word and a handshake.

Nah I guess the majority of backers with heavy investments are just the guys who kept spending and accumulated a hefty total after a while. They most likely expect some kind of return value for that money, even if its ultimately only virtual pixel goods. I dont thin kChris Roberts can be anybodies "best friend" but of course its important to appear like one to build an empathic connection to the people who support you even tho you have no obligation or responsebility toward them in the end.

In the end Star Citizen IS going for close to a decade now and many people have been in from the very start. Their explanations how to reach 30.000+ of donations makes a lot of sense as its basically the business model of every F2P game on the market. Even the more credible sources here reported that they just got something when they wanted it which again implies these amounts are not pledges but payments for an expected return value. You want to fly that new ship NOW, you cough up the 250 bucks you better have it in your fleet next time you log in (or soon). Lots of people are a little sore about year old sales that still havent materialized in the tech demo to this day.

Your idea of the development of the game, not the game as and of itself, my post was misleading and I apologise profusely.

Do you like the game then?
Pug

I haven't had a fun experience in it yet from the 2 free fly's i've taken part in. They've frankly been horrible. However, while my PC was up to spec for SC a few years ago, as time passed the requirements increased and my PC fell behind. Which is why i'm looking forward to the next free fly, to see how the new comp fares.

Still, we've seen many times how even beast PCs can struggle with SC, depending on the patch and the state of the servers.

State of the servers is a particular thorn in CIG's side because they don't seem to prepare properly for their free fly's and the servers struggle. This does not provide a good experience for those testing it out thinking of whether to perhaps buy in.

Aside from performance issues (which were horrendous) the bugs were frequent. NPCs t-posing of course and standing on chairs. Being unable to set a target and fly to it despite following a written guide on how it should be done (i think there was a bug preventing me). Assets not loading, resulting in me stepping out of the train and falling to my death. Loss off ship due to a bug and then not being able to do anything until the rebuy timer timed out. Trains running through each other (amazingly with no ill effect). People teleporting around.

And a design issue, that really annoys me, is due to how CIG have done animations and CR's love of fidelity, it feels like the game really doesn't want you to break those lovely animations and insists on completing each one before allowing the next input. This makes the walking around part feel really unresponsive compared to most FPS games.

We have people on record who claimed to be 30-50K in....what amount would deserve the label "investment" entitling the investor for some kind of return payment? I suppose a 5-6 digit pledge gives you special treatment as in talking to the big boss from time to time or getting office tours and invites on a regular basis but thats about it (basically what Bootcha described). He cant really sell company stakes without people showing up in a paper trail either, CIG is not a stock corporation. Private investors most likely have to be alright with a formal agreement and I m not sure I would trust that kind of money on a word and a handshake.

Nah I guess the majority of backers with heavy investments are just the guys who kept spending and accumulated a hefty total after a while. They most likely expect some kind of return value for that money, even if its ultimately only virtual pixel goods. I dont thin kChris Roberts can be anybodies "best friend" but of course its important to appear like one to build an empathic connection to the people who support you even tho you have no obligation or responsebility toward them in the end.

In the end Star Citizen IS going for close to a decade now and many people have been in from the very start. Their explanations how to reach 30.000+ of donations makes a lot of sense as its basically the business model of every F2P game on the market. Even the more credible sources here reported that they just got something when they wanted it which again implies these amounts are not pledges but payments for an expected return value. You want to fly that new ship NOW, you cough up the 250 bucks you better have it in your fleet next time you log in (or soon). Lots of people are a little sore about year old sales that still havent materialized in the tech demo to this day.
Maybe they just had some spare cash laying around and thought "hey I know" I'll spend 30k (irony again) on some pixels.
They had money to burn and they couldn't care less about a return. Just speculation.

I have the biggest ship mentality. F'me! I'm an advocated Devil.
Pug

I haven't had a fun experience in it yet from the 2 free fly's i've taken part in. They've frankly been horrible. However, while my PC was up to spec for SC a few years ago, as time passed the requirements increased and my PC fell behind. Which is why i'm looking forward to the next free fly, to see how the new comp fares.

Still, we've seen many times how even beast PCs can struggle with SC, depending on the patch and the state of the servers.

State of the servers is a particular thorn in CIG's side because they don't seem to prepare properly for their free fly's and the servers struggle. This does not provide a good experience for those testing it out thinking of whether to perhaps buy in.

Aside from performance issues (which were horrendous) the bugs were frequent. NPCs t-posing of course and standing on chairs. Being unable to set a target and fly to it despite following a written guide on how it should be done (i think there was a bug preventing me). Assets not loading, resulting in me stepping out of the train and falling to my death. Loss off ship due to a bug and then not being able to do anything until the rebuy timer timed out. Trains running through each other (amazingly with no ill effect). People teleporting around.

And a design issue, that really annoys me, is due to how CIG have done animations and CR's love of fidelity, it feels like the game really doesn't want you to break those lovely animations and insists on completing each one before allowing the next input. This makes the walking around part feel really unresponsive compared to most FPS games.
Without sounding patronizing, which makes it sound patronizing, see what I mean about articulate.
I had those experiences to or something very similar, I had to head out to Olisar or somewhere that you can chill for a bit and suss things out and the graphical load and the amount of crap that is struggling to be generated is massively reduced but there are still bugs. This would be hard on free play though as you haven't really got the time to fart about yourself.

I must say that it looks ok even on my old spec system, probably due to the fact that I built it myself and didn't bottle-neck it and the recent addition of an SSD.
I'll bare my bum (why can't we say A__ on a forum? we have 12 year olds running around beating NPC's to death with rubber appendages in some recent games).

I logged on tonight changed my armour and can't get the Mobi-glas up so doing anything is impossible.
I will still stand by my couple of weeks of play though as I done a few bits and bobs and accrued 500k and did enjoy it.

I don't care about the 500 billion squillion influx of Marks cash.
I'll find a workaround that I shouldn't need to find.
Pug

Without sounding patronizing, which makes it sound patronizing, see what I mean about articulate.
I had those experiences to or something very similar, I had to head out to Olisar or somewhere that you can chill for a bit and suss things out and the graphical load and the amount of crap that is struggling to be generated is massively reduced but there are still bugs. This would be hard on free play though as you haven't really got the time to fart about yourself.

I must say that it looks ok even on my old spec system, probably due to the fact that I built it myself and didn't bottle-neck it and the recent addition of an SSD.
I'll bare my bum (why can't we say A__ on a forum? we have 12 year olds running around beating NPC's to death with rubber appendages in some recent games).

I logged on tonight changed my armour and can't get the Mobi-glas up so doing anything is impossible.
I will still stand by my couple of weeks of play though as I done a few bits and bobs and accrued 500k and did enjoy it.

I don't care about the 500 billion squillion influx of Marks cash.
I'll find a workaround that I shouldn't need to find.
Pug

Ah, its funny you mention the SSD. In the first free fly i played, i didn't have it on SSD, and starting out at Port O it wasn't too bad. In the next free fly i tried though i did have it on a SSD, but they started us at microtech (bad move on CIG's part i would say, due to higher demands plus a pain to get to the starport - took me 30 minutes to just figure out how to use the lifts!)

But what was really funny was all the faithful saying i was getting bad performance due to not having the game installed on a SSD. It was their immediate go to response for all problems. I kept having to repeat myself "It is on a SSD"... and i don't think they believed me. Problem (besides of course the game's optimization) was memory. Just not enough of it. And even with a SSD, that's still a lot of swapping going on to the swap file (also on the SSD).

Ah, its funny you mention the SSD. In the first free fly i played, i didn't have it on SSD, and starting out at Port O it wasn't too bad. In the next free fly i tried though i did have it on a SSD, but they started us at microtech (bad move on CIG's part i would say, due to higher demands plus a pain to get to the starport - took me 30 minutes to just figure out how to use the lifts!)

But what was really funny was all the faithful saying i was getting bad performance due to not having the game installed on a SSD. It was their immediate go to response for all problems. I kept having to repeat myself "It is on a SSD"... and i don't think they believed me. Problem (besides of course the game's optimization) was memory. Just not enough of it. And even with a SSD, that's still a lot of swapping going on to the swap file (also on the SSD).
Here's a weird thing, first in a game for me. I changed the detail to High from Low and it smoothed out.
I think it forced the graphic card to take more of the memory load and freed up the processor. It's the only way that I can think that that change would work.

I missed a . It was 15.8 :(
Pug

Sorry, but hahahahahahahaha. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: This is an online forum for discussing computer games, since when do random strangers online need to 'earn your trust' to talk abouthow they like or do not like a game?! For real Your Royal Highness, get some perspective.
Since games publishers and developers started invading those forums and social media comments sections with posts designed to amplify the marketing for their own products, whilst masquerading as joe public. It was once said that on the internet nobody knows you're a dog, but these days you could just as well say that on the internet nobody knows you're not a STASI informant...

Since games publishers and developers started invading those forums and social media comments sections with posts designed to amplify the marketing for their own products, whilst masquerading as joe public. It was once said that on the internet nobody knows you're a dog, but these days you could just as well say that on the internet nobody knows you're not a STASI informant...
The one I remember is "the internet is full of 50yr old men pretending to be 15yr old girls and 15yr old girls pretending to be be 50yr old men"
I think the point was, you just don't know!
That analogy to me is. Horrifying. Look at Stuart GT no one would think he is an 84yr old living in his sisters loft.
Pug

Maybe they just had some spare cash laying around and thought "hey I know" I'll spend 30k (irony again) on some pixels.
They had money to burn and they couldn't care less about a return. Just speculation.

I have the biggest ship mentality. F'me! I'm an advocated Devil.
Pug

The fact remains that in that case these people still expect something for their money. Its not like they were thinking "I know...I ll just give these 3000 dollars to CiG, those guys can use it for sure, here CiG just take it no need to give anything back". Regardless if its really disposable income or just internet talk its their money and what they do with their money is not at question here. I can wonder about their decision but ultimately I have no say in how others spend their money.

It just means the networking architecture is still a mess, and still a massive blocker to planned gameplay additions. No big change to be honest. Has been the situation for many years.
Not just a mess, but the foundation stone upon which the rest of the game should be developed, but instead they're trying to scab it onto the roof as an ornamental afterthought...or maybe gargoyle is a better term....or better yet a tumour.

CiGs commonly used excuse of "blockers" isnt new and made me believe that these folks simply dont know what to do for the longest time. And while the "netcode is at its limits" theory has been around for an equally long time brought up by people who actually know what they are talking about I see CIGs decision to take out content in order to be able to squeeze something new in as the proverbal "admission" for said theory. It would ve been a good opportunity to "show all the haters" by releasing a solution to any of the numerous blockers but noooooo, take the cheap way out again CIG why dont you.

I mean are they even trying anymore or is everything simply damage control till the bloon go POP?

It would ve been a good opportunity to "show all the haters" by releasing a solution to any of the numerous blockers but noooooo, take the cheap way out again CIG why dont you.

The amusing thing is - that should CI-G somehow manage to solve the n^n-1 problem for sub 25ms latency with 100,000's of concurrent customers on a commercially available compute and distribution platform using domestic internetworking equipment and the open internet - in real time - they wouldn't just be able to release Star Citizen to the wavey hands of a beaming Genuine Roberts.

They would be the richest company on the planet.

Top Bottom