Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Roadmap Roundup

So, CI-G had failed to make iCache and swept it under the rug of "Persistent Streaming & Server Meshing". Do not mistake that for "Server Meshing", those are two different components.
Never been done before.

From the Roundup

Persistent Streaming & Server Meshing
Server Meshing is an on-going initiative that includes a variety of features and technology that help unlock the ability to expand the content and player counts in the Star Citizen Universe. Tasks associated with this deliverable span across multiple teams and disciplines, and you’ll find work being done on all four quarters currently visible on the Roadmap. While you may not see Server Meshing or Pyro in the release view at the moment, this doesn’t necessarily rule anything out. This merely means we’re still working out a timeline and have not currently met that threshold (~70% confidence) to target a specific quarter yet.
iCache
Some of you may have noticed that iCache is not present as a standalone deliverable on the Roadmap. It’s still there, but it’s gotten a name change. This is because iCache and other similar technologies are now wrapped up within the Persistent Streaming & Server Meshing deliverable mentioned above. In addition, we have removed the Convert Legacy Data Management to iCache from the Release View as there are pending dependencies involved in the work for this. This means the fruits of these efforts won’t be seen until later on in the year.

From the Progress Tracker

Duration: 53 Weeks
Description: Proprietary Server Meshing and Persistence Technology will allow Star Citizen to scale up it's shared universe across game servers. Eventually this technology will allow thousands of players to co-exist in the verse. Once the first version of this is implemented the number of servers and players will increase over successive versions.

So: no "iCache" this year, or Server Meshing, which means no Pyro or Nyx this year either.

I generally disregard anyone who tries to insert personal opinion or impart advice with the pretense that they're looking out for my welfare or serving the common good of all mankind via that strictly personal opinion, be it informed or not. I've spent most of my adult life at war, I've ridden motorbikes since before I entered my teens and still do minus a couple of legs I lost somewhere along the way. I can't count the number of well meaning busybodys who still insist on telling me that motorbikes are dangerous death traps because they knew a friend of a friend who was killed on one.

Most of my friends have either been killed through being shot, blown up, had parachutes fail or been killed in car accidents...or just plain died of old age. I've had exactly zero of my many friends over my lifetime die in motorcycle accidents...and I know a lot of bikers. Some people do die on motorcycles of course...and quite regularly...but none of them were me. I've fallen off a few times and picked up a few bits of road rash and broken bones largely due to other irresponsible road users... but that's part of the accepted risk I take every time I strap on a crash helmet. The same goes for every one of the 4,000 odd times I've strapped on a parachute or fitted a magazine onto a weapon with the express purpose of using it to cause harm to other human beings. The rule of the gun for a soldier is quite clear, if you're prepared to use one, you must also be prepared to die by one.

Everything is dangerous... or bad for your health or poses a financial risk or is just a plain bad idea...anything from taking sugar in your tea to adding some salt on your chips or eating real butter. I do all of those things...which doesn't mean I'm stupid or irresponsible, just that I'm aware of the risks and that I'm prepared to accept the consequences should things go wrong.

Star Citizen falls roughly into this category, most would be right to insist it's a very bad idea to throw money in support of it and I'd agree whole heartedly should someone value my opinion enough to ask...but some of us will still do it nonetheless, despite the repetitive dire warnings of imminent doom or eternal damnation. :)
Risk based work/play selection :) My brother is the biker and the only time he's been injured was having a snout parked near Urquhart Castle and some muppet plowed into him.

If I had a bike I would be dead, I'm bad enough in a car. I eat what I eat and I drink what I drink as ultimately "You don't go to many Welders retirement parties"

On another note - F' me that's a full life Mole.
Now I get the bucket in the mouth comment :)

I have a mate like that we call him 'Bob' :)
Pug

From the Roundup

Server Meshing is an on-going initiative that includes a variety of features and technology that help unlock the ability to expand the content and player counts in the Star Citizen Universe. Tasks associated with this deliverable span across multiple teams and disciplines, and you’ll find work being done on all four quarters currently visible on the Roadmap. While you may not see Server Meshing or Pyro in the release view at the moment, this doesn’t necessarily rule anything out. This merely means we’re still working out a timeline and have not currently met that threshold (~70% confidence) to target a specific quarter yet.
iCache
Some of you may have noticed that iCache is not present as a standalone deliverable on the Roadmap. It’s still there, but it’s gotten a name change. This is because iCache and other similar technologies are now wrapped up within the Persistent Streaming & Server Meshing deliverable mentioned above. In addition, we have removed the Convert Legacy Data Management to iCache from the Release View as there are pending dependencies involved in the work for this. This means the fruits of these efforts won’t be seen until later on in the year.

From the Progress Tracker

Duration: 53 Weeks
Description: Proprietary Server Meshing and Persistence Technology will allow Star Citizen to scale up it's shared universe across game servers. Eventually this technology will allow thousands of players to co-exist in the verse. Once the first version of this is implemented the number of servers and players will increase over successive versions.

So: no "iCache" this year, or Server Meshing, which means no Pyro or Nyx this year either.
I'm glad your keeping track I'm lost.
Pug

I'll buy it for you and that way you can play and really hate the thing you abhor and tell us all about it.

I say this with sincerity as you seem to be a reasonably articulate individual with some great posts, if not sometimes a wee bit on the negative side.
Pug

Where did you get the idea that i hate and abhor SC? I made a post just today explaining my feelings towards CR/CIG/SC. I have criticisms of the game, its development, and moreso its management, notably CR.

EDIT: PS: No, seriously, don't give CR any more money. As Fritz pointed out, i can see for myself during free flys and have done so. I've even got a new computer recently so i'm really ready for the next freefly! But even then, even if it turns out good (by some miracle) i'm not giving CIG a penny, because of their anti-consumer business practices and outrageous marketing techniques. It might be a bit of a case of cutting my nose to spite my face (but i have very little reason to believe CIG will release a good game at the end of it all), but i've survived for years not buying games from EA, who are also on my "do not give money to" list.

Last edited:
Where did you get the idea that i hate and abhor SC? I made a post just today explaining my feelings towards CR/CIG/SC. I have criticisms of the game, its development, and moreso its management, notably CR.
Your idea of the development of the game, not the game as and of itself, my post was misleading and I apologise profusely.

Do you like the game then?
Pug

Not all scams are obvious.

*SC is obvious, though.

Not all scams were designed to be scams. Everything you hear about Fyre Festival seems to show that Billy really wanted to do it and make the BDFE (Best Damn Festival Ever). I'm not sure about Elizabeth Homes but I presume she didn't set out to scam people. And i'm certain CR hasn't set out to scam people and is doing his best to make the game.

But one thread seems common. People with big dreams and zero idea how to actually fulfill them and deliver on what people gave them money to deliver.

CR is the wrong man to be in charge of this project. As creative lead with someone strong above him, that could have worked. Someone who would say "Nice idea Chris, but let's table that one until after release and we are sure about the success of it" or "No Chris, fidelity is all well and good, but its no use if players can't play the game due to performance overheads" or "No Chris, having virtual air simulated being pumped through pipes on ships is just insane and a massive waste of effort. We can just abstractly represent it for a lot less effort and player's won't even be able to tell the difference"

Roadmap Roundup

Committed: This deliverable is scheduled for this quarter and has passed the final review process. There is a very low chance of this deliverable moving.

Oooh, how long before something commited is removed from the roadmap then? Are we taking bets?

Oh wow, that list of patches at the end. Big oof. Even assuming they deliver on what they have put in for those patches it really doesn't paint a pretty picture for SC's timeline.

In 1 year there isn't going to be any sort of massive increase in content... pipelines are still being worked on. Ships of course make an appearance. A lot of really minor things (fire extinguisher - tech) and so much "tier 0" stuff its painful to read.

I really don't know how far into the future I care now to even predict a possible release for SC. I'm sure backers will repeat the faithful mantra though "CR can take as long as he wants to get it right". I just don't think they really understand what they are saying with regards to that.

Last edited:
So, CI-G had failed to make iCache and swept it under the rug of "Persistent Streaming & Server Meshing". Do not mistake that for "Server Meshing", those are two different components.
Never been done before.

I wonder if it will get split into Client Side Server Meshing and Server Side Server Meshing.

Perhaps in a couple of years a CIG talking head will be wheeled out in front of the camera to report to Chris "Unfortunately SSSM didn't provide the gains we had hoped for". Chris will nod and absolve the developer of this unfortunate development, meanwhile looking like the forgiving boss and that none of it was his fault or idea in the first place. But then another dev will be wheeled out to talk about the next new exciting tech that really will improve performance! It will unfortunately take at least a few more months to develop... or so they will say, until it turns out it will actually take a couple of years. Anyway, here's a ship sale.

Top Bottom