Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Not sure if free fly is still going, but now i've got Valheim so any spare play time is going that way.

Also amusing to note they broke 1 million paying customers in just a few weeks. While i'm not sure the exact numbers of paying individuals for Star Citizen i think its been confirmed that its well under 2 million. Over half of what CIG have taken to rope in in just a few weeks compared to the years of highly misleading marketing put out by CIG.

Both are early access type games. Yeah, people can bang on about how what CIG are doing is more complex etc, but what the devs of Valheim have shown is how to make a highly playable early access game that is fun for people to play. People are playing because they see its a damn fun game and it works.

Which brings me back to free fly. I'd promised myself to give SC solid tries. But the week was busy and didn't have that much time spare and quite often in the evening my brain wasn't up to fighting with SC.

So what I ended up with is 1 go during which i encountered numerous bugs and ended up with my clipping into the roof of the hangar and getting stuck there. End of attempt 1. And the second attempt client or server crashed almost as soon as i got in.

Performance was abysmal, even after following advice about setting graphics to very high.

In short, based on my experience, SC is a piece of poo.
It's Mole, you and the others' fault for making me want to try Valheim. You're all just bad influence.

I have little sympathy. It is the same hubris / ignorance in the face of realities that made that one fail. The biggest one was probably that soloing the gamedev would be possible.
I think it was probably just a hobby that got out of control. And once he'd pressed the button of charging money any doubts he had about the gameplay became insurmountable psychological obstacles. He maybe needed a ruthless money man saying "just turn it into Asteroids and release it next month!".

Not sure if free fly is still going, but now i've got Valheim so any spare play time is going that way.

Also amusing to note they broke 1 million paying customers in just a few weeks. While i'm not sure the exact numbers of paying individuals for Star Citizen i think its been confirmed that its well under 2 million. Over half of what CIG have taken to rope in in just a few weeks compared to the years of highly misleading marketing put out by CIG.

Both are early access type games. Yeah, people can bang on about how what CIG are doing is more complex etc, but what the devs of Valheim have shown is how to make a highly playable early access game that is fun for people to play. People are playing because they see its a damn fun game and it works.

Which brings me back to free fly. I'd promised myself to give SC solid tries. But the week was busy and didn't have that much time spare and quite often in the evening my brain wasn't up to fighting with SC.

So what I ended up with is 1 go during which i encountered numerous bugs and ended up with my clipping into the roof of the hangar and getting stuck there. End of attempt 1. And the second attempt client or server crashed almost as soon as i got in.

Performance was abysmal, even after following advice about setting graphics to very high.

In short, based on my experience, SC is a piece of poo.
1.2 million paid accounts for SC iirc. Valheim recently broke 3 million sales (in 16 days) and 500,000 concurrency on Steam. The devs must be shellshocked.

Though it looked like the foundations were far more forethought and advanced than anything CIG ever happened to materialize.

I bet Tony Z and Chris R were daydreaming (and trying to learn?) a lot watching Josh's dev diairies... Drool on their lips.
I imagine the two like that after each watch:

Having a solid foundation design and not just a general idea would ve enabled the CEO as well as Tony or all the devs to answer questions much more detailed and thorough. it would ve enabled them to provide realistic timelines as well as stick to their planned scope. Things might ve still changed, a lot of projects face unexpected obstacles but thats not what we are looking at in this case. Star Citizen reeks of a wild blind attempt with the heads at control just doing whatever only slowly and in hindsight realizing what they offered and promised. And since we have established from all camps that CiG is after the money for the most part I dont think we ll ever see a game that we deserve.

. Although decent project management should have spotted this!

For all we know they did. Thats going to be the high rated people who were affiliated with the project at the very beginning and who dropped out quickly after rumors spread that Chris was approached with warnings and risk assessments and rejected them out of hand. If you know whats up and the bossman ignores your viewpoint or experience I guess the best you can do is try to save yourself cuz you wont force him to change his mind.

Its possible that Chris has a lot of excellent people in his cadre but its all for nothing if he doesnt listen to them. He does have a reputation of not liking to being told "no" and from what I can see he is unable to admit a mistake. He rather blames others or comes up with all kinds of excuses. Taking responsebility....not one of his qualities

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
While i'm not sure the exact numbers of paying individuals for Star Citizen i think its been confirmed that its well under 2 million.
1.2 million paid accounts for SC iirc. Valheim recently broke 3 million sales (in 16 days) and 500,000 concurrency on Steam. The devs must be shellshocked.
Indeed, @Agony_Aunt , reported by the boss himself at the Chrismas letter.

Today, we stand at 1,177,919 Paying Accounts and counting.

Now, that is paying accounts. Given many players have more than 1 paying account, the actual number of individual paying players is probably even less.

Indeed, @Agony_Aunt , reported by the boss himself at the Chrismas letter.

Now, that is paying accounts. Given many players have more than 1 paying account, the actual number of individual paying players is probably even less.

Thanks.

And 500k+ active players.

I wonder what CIG's servers look like?

I m sure the majority is crashing all over the place and is falling through the world, its early access same as Star Citizen so why would it be any different? Thank god it doesnt have bartenders or elevators (so LESS content than SC yay CiG) but I m sure the ravens and monsters t-pose just as much as soon as they come near a chair ^^

I m sure the majority is crashing all over the place and is falling through the world, its early access same as Star Citizen so why would it be any different?
One is alpha stage, the other beta stage.
Even in beta you are not safe. Search about the world destroyer bug in Valheim.

And 500k+ active players.

I wonder what CIG's servers look like?

On the up!

we’ve continued to average 30k Daily Active Users throughout the year, which is a 70% increase over last year.

But Valheim are talking 500k concurrent players, so for CIG that’s more like 3k.

Early days!

Bonus reminiscing:

• Last year they had an average of 9000 players a day. [?]
  • Currently 2.5% of their paying customers play daily.
  • Their capture rate is down to 40% (from 50% in 2016)

Last edited:
Top Bottom