Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

The forth is when you see tiny details far away and know how massive they are. Below the Hurston dynamics building seen from space and from the city
Hurston-everus-harbor-01.jpg
look! a space station that orbit about 20 km above the planet surface. What a "sense of scale"!

It is, and yet it disappoints on some level. Stations still don't feel as big as they are implied to be. There are places where it is obvious that the ACTUAL scale is wrong - doors made for hobbits is a common example. In fact, for the most part I get a better sense of scale in Space Engineers on my 15" laptop screen than I do most places in ED.
You know, I’ve often wondered how much of that phenomenon is bad IPD settings, and the fact that our avatars are of a set height. My in-game avatar is almost half a foot taller than I am (14cm, to be precise), and things look too big to me, even though when I measure them, they’re their reported size.

Reminds me of after I got LASIK. I spent two months misjudging distances, thanks to severe astigmatism I used to have.

That's a good point - does SC indicate human driven ships from AI/NPC driven ships?

One of the things in ED that still baffles me is why the radar contacts show different symbology for PC/NPC ships - imho it was and still is a boneheaded decision regardless of your playstyle, as it breaks the 4th wall.

[lore]
The radar distinguishes normal civilian or military crafts (full icons) from fellow members of the Pilots Federation (hollow icons), not NPCs from humans. It just so happens that the only fellow members of the Pilots Federation are the human players.
[/lore]

What happens when you take 3 elevators? ;)

You feel the stale of the station.

(I think there's a reason why X4 has those huge stations with platform to walk on with elevators and belts to carry you around and those huge spaceships around which you can walk to reach the entran-oh let me fly the damn thing, Shift+D, teleport to cockpit/bridge, problem solved.)

Edit - just wanted to add that "what are you doing" is not mine but I totally approve of this mild swearing filter. :D

Orbit - or hover? afaik the planets and stations don't move in SC, never played it long enough to be able to tell on my own.
They do orbit as the planets rotate too. Planets themselves do not orbit the star. Also on scale kinda, as planets are about 1/6th scale so 20km orbit is relatively not too suprising. It's synchronous though, which should never be the case for a low orbit.

[lore]
The radar distinguishes normal civilian or military crafts (full icons) from fellow members of the Pilots Federation (hollow icons), not NPCs from humans. It just so happens that the only fellow members of the Pilots Federation are the human players.
[/lore]
That's a good bit of handwavium, but I assume to make the lore work, its a sensor based thing and likely an implant my character has. If so, I'd love a way of removing it ;)

They do orbit as the planets rotate too. Planets themselves do not orbit the star. Also on scale kinda, as planets are about 1/6th scale so 20km orbit is relatively not too suprising. It's synchronous though, which should never be the case for a low orbit.
Well synchronous orbit in even 1/6 scale planets is way more far out than 20 km....

Well nice crystal ball you got there mate, lets just agree we just don't know yet and leave it at that.

I'd say based on what we know of FDev and their design ethos that Sovapid's comments aren't exactly 'crystal-balling' but more reasonable assumptions based on the information FDev have given us thus far regarding Odyssey and their prior work on Elite as a whole.

Unless you're suggesting that you think there's a chance FDev will announce that an expansion for Elite Dangerous is an Open Only thing, which... well based on how entitled and vitriolic our little corner of the internet can be seems highly unlikely.

Top Bottom