General / Off-Topic What are you reading currently?

Apparently I'm reading Dune again. Sort of by chance. I was in a book shop today. Nothing particular on my mind, just browsing. And then I saw this on the shelf. One of the most striking covers I've ever seen. It's just mesmerizing. And look - page edges are dyed in the most amazing rich aquamarine blue. Which works great with both the sleeve and the cover. Definitely one for the collection, quite a looker on the shelf. I just had to have it. It's a third hardback copy of Dune I've got, so I might have a bit of a problem :D But I can't resist. Almost every print of Dune has fantastic cover design, and whoever made this definitely loves their job. No idea why I'm nerding out over a book cover.
5YP1j8v.jpg

akUOH39.jpg

5IREmaC.jpg

Just been reading about a new on-line book shopping service to replace Amazon, supporting local bookshops. Apparently it made a big success on launch in USA and launches today in the UK after being asked to do so by UK independent bookshops.

Today I finished The Elderling Series, a 16 book Epic saga, by Robin Hobb.
Extraordinary.
The best fantasy fiction that I've had the pleasure to experience, topping my previous favourites of Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books and Tolkien's Middle Earth. Not just by a little bit, but head and shoulders above that elevated echelon of writing.
Exceptionally highly recommended.
Beware, however, it took me 20 months, or so to complete ... so not to be entered into lightly. But what fantastic rewards, engaging characterisation and twists and turns of narrative. The emotion that it illicits is simply astonishing.
There were several points throughout the Epic that had me in tears. And the ending? Yep, moved me to tears through several chapters.
The down side? Whatever I read next will likely be shallow and hollow by comparison.

Extraordinary.
The best fantasy fiction that I've had the pleasure to experience, topping my previous favourites of Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books and Tolkien's Middle Earth. Not just by a little bit, but head and shoulders above that elevated echelon of writing.
Beware, however, it took me 20 months, or so to complete ... so not to be entered into lightly. But what fantastic rewards, engaging characterisation and twists and turns of narrative. The emotion that it illicits is simply astonishing.
There were several points throughout the Epic that had me in tears. And the ending? Yep, moved me to tears through several chapters.
The down side? Whatever I read next will likely be shallow and hollow by comparison.
Michael Moorcock's fantasy might do the trick. Roger Zelazny's Amber books I recommend too.

Anyone else struggling to read/get through 'The Three Body Problem' by Cixin Liu ? I am finding it hard to care and get bored when it starts describing ( to me ) meaningless stuff like what is happening in the 'game', to me its like when people tell me about their dreams.

Extraordinary.
Gotta love the Fool.

Currently reading two books.
On my bedside cabinet I have Metro 2033
On the arm of my sofa, for while Wifey watches Emma/Cory/Stenders, I have Children Of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
Metro - so far (maybe 50 pages in) - is meh, but CoT is unputdownable.

Top Bottom