General / Off-Topic What are you reading currently?

1598223402659.png

True crime.

Several book shops have closed and libraries are empty.Newspaper sit on newsagents shelves I dont see anyone buying or reading a book.
My former school the Headmaster who was my Headmaster over 30 years ago is also a successful published author. He set Reading challenges and also encourage the students family to take part. They are given reading lists . Looking at the shelves its seem that 'chick lit' is more prevalent. Research shows women read more than men. James Paterson is one of the biggest seller and he doesnt even write his own books! You could compile a book just based on all these forum posts .

Just finished the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.

Overall quite enjoyable. I have some issues with some plot points and in some places it seems like he simply forgot to write several paragraphs which would have explained what just happened. Also not overjoyed with the use of a Deus ex Machina as part of the end.

However, i'd still recommend it for fantasy fans.

Just 2 months to go until Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson is released.

Apparently it weighs in at 460,000 words. A bit bigger than Oathbringer was.

And its only book 4 of 10 planned.

I hope he doesn't do a George Martin on us....

Personally, I read so many things on the internet that I no longer have time to read books. :(
Someone mentioned to me it's not that we don't have the time, it's that we no longer make the time for the things we enjoy or are important. And there's a lot of truth in that. Too many hours spent wasting time (esp. on social media) these days. And, of course, work. Work-life balance these days is nuts. Half the people work themselves to death, and the other half can't get a job.

(Sorry, getting very OT here; back as you were)

Someone mentioned to me it's not that we don't have the time, it's that we no longer make the time for the things we enjoy or are important. And there's a lot of truth in that. Too many hours spent wasting time (esp. on social media) these days. And, of course, work. Work-life balance these days is nuts. Half the people work themselves to death, and the other half can't get a job.

Yes it is complicated. Internet devours our lives.

We are addicted to the screen. 🤷‍♂️

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

To try to be a bit more topical (looking at a lot of my recent posts, I tend to go off on tangents.. may have something to do with my recent mood), a series which I LOVED as a kid was "Swallows and Amazons" by Arthur Ransome.

The movie adaptation, while reasonably good, took a LOT of liberties with the storyline; the books were MUCH better.

The reason this series has stuck in my memory is that it's the first big book I read in english; I had only recently moved to Australia and the book just happened to be in our classroom for some reason. If I remember correctly, it was the teachers' personal copy, and was a grade or two above our class level at the time. In fact, my teacher laughed when I asked to borrow it (my spoken english was still very broken at the time), but nevertheless he humoured me. When I returned it a couple of days later he laughed and said told you so. When I then told him what happened in the book his eyes nearly popped out of his head!

I read in the bath. The library love it because if I drop one in I have to buy them a new one.

Top Bottom