Newcomer / Intro Build Question about Multipurpose Hardpoints and being TOO HOT

Hi, guys. Just joined the forum. Been playing for a month or so. Love the game.

I had a question about what happens when you're demanding too much power, but the various weapons etc drawing power aren't intended to be used simultaneously. For instance, I've been looking to refit my Cobra MKIII for deep core mining (while still being able to laser mine without changing it). Build here: https://s.orbis.zone/e3_0

Problem is, unless I want to drop to a smaller shield, etc., it takes too much power. But is that really a problem? When I take the ship out and deploy the hard points, what will happen?
1. Having too much power draw overall won't be a problem because I'll never be using the abrasion blasters, seismic launchers, and mining laser at the same time. Or...
2. I'll experience a power failure because everything is being fed too much power all the time, regardless of whether or not I'm firing them or not.

I hope that's clear. Thoughts?

The way you have set the power priorities, everything will shut down when you deploy weapons.
And that was your clue: set power priorities.
In your special case, though, it would be enough to disable ( or sell ) the second seismic charge launcher. With only 32 tons of cargo, you're in no danger of running out of ammo even for one launcher.

Set the Advanced Docking Computer to Priority 2 (or learn to fly without it and reclaim the OC), problem goes away.

I would strongly encourage you to A rate the FSD, as it will both reduce the number of jumps and the amount of times you are likely to RNG a pirate.

I hope that's clear. Thoughts?

Seriously, replace one SCL with a class 2 mining laser - that drops your power and will also let you laser-mine without going crazy at the slowness of a class 1 laser.

Also - get used to setting priorities - use priority 5 for docking computers and fuel scoops for example.

What you want to do is just a bad idea. you have no jump range to get anywhere where there's anything worth mining. Optimise your Cobra for platinum laser mining. I'd do it like this:
One trip won't take long and will get you 10 mil, which is enough for a T6 like this, which costs 9 mil. if you have that much, you can get it straight away:
That will get you around 19 mil per trip. A few more trips will get you enough for a Python, which can do all the different types of mining at the same time, no problem. A Python will cost around 110 mil.

Last edited:
So I'd like to get a Clipper eventually for deep core mining and laser mining in general. I figured I'd outfit my Cobra for that in the meantime to raise money more quickly doing something other than DSS scans. I think I figured on going D with the FSD drive to keep power draw lower, since it's pretty easy to find ice rings and void opal hot spots...? There should be some in my home system.

My normal Cobra loadout is almost all A-rated. A general rep grinder for cargo, data, pirates, etc. https://s.orbis.zone/e4yl

Isn't void opal mining still a thing? I figure I can make at least 10 million or so on an outting. A little better than (blind) exploration maybe. That's a good idea replacing one seismic launcher with a medium mining laser instead of small, but I have two so that I have a lot more charges available. Laser mining was secondary. It was there just in case I felt like doing it.

Oh yeah--back to the point though, so the answer to my original question is that--unless I change the module power priorities--my ship would shut down whenever I were to deploy the hard points? It's more about power available than power actually used?

P.S. - I know I could accomplish this on several other types of ships, but I'm trying to reuse what I already have. Saving money to finish maxing out my Chieftan and maybe get an Asp Explorer (https://s.orbis.zone/e4yv) to be a dedicated miner on the way to a Clipper (https://s.orbis.zone/e4yw). Or maybe keep the Asp Ex for a long while and save up for a Cobra first instead.

Last edited:
So I'd like to get a Clipper eventually for deep core mining and laser mining in general. I figured I'd outfit my Cobra for that in the meantime to raise money more quickly doing something other than DSS scans. I think I figured on going D with the FSD drive to keep power draw lower, since it's pretty easy to find ice rings and void opal hot spots...? There should be some in my home system.

My normal Cobra loadout is almost all A-rated. A general rep grinder for cargo, data, pirates, etc. https://s.orbis.zone/e4yl

Isn't void opal mining still a thing? I figure I can make at least 10 million or so on an outting. A little better than (blind) exploration maybe. That's a good idea replacing one seismic launcher with a medium mining laser instead of small, but I have two so that I have a lot more charges available. Laser mining was secondary. It was there just in case I felt like doing it.

Oh yeah--back to the point though, so the answer to my original question is that--unless I change the module power priorities--my ship would shut down whenever I were to deploy the hard points? It's more about power available than power actually used?

P.S. - I know I could accomplish this on several other types of ships, but I'm trying to reuse what I already have. Saving money to finish maxing out my Chieftan and maybe get an Asp Explorer (https://s.orbis.zone/e4yv) to be a dedicated miner on the way to a Clipper (https://s.orbis.zone/e4yw). Or maybe keep the Asp Ex for a long while and save up for a Cobra first instead.
Module power priorities determine what modules get shut down when/if you start running out of power, the modules shut down from priority 5 first to priority 1 last.

I have added power priorities to your Cobra build from above
If this did run short of power you would lose the cargo hatch first followed by the fuel scoop and SRV hanger at priority 4 and so on down the list.

In the alpha test for Odyssey I am running an Eagle with insufficient power for all its modules whenever I deploy hard points I get a warning and anything in priority 4 or 5 shuts down but those are things I am not going to be able to use with the guns out anyway so it is fine.

If this did run short of power you would lose the cargo hatch first followed by the fuel scoop and SRV hanger at priority 4 and so on down the list
Ummmm.... losing the cargo hatch when you deploy mining tools is somewhat counter-productive. Fuel scoop and possibly FSD (you're mass locked anyway I'm a ring) to level 5 might be a better idea.

Getting void Opals is easy. Getting a good price for them means you have to travel. For that you need jump range and a fuel scoop. As I said, laser platinum mining is the reliable way to make your cash. It takes no concentration and it's predictable and consistent.

I threw this together for a similar discussion; ignore the part about the AspX...

Laser Mining C3:

Last edited:
I threw this together for a similar discussion; ignore the part about the AspX...

Laser Mining C3:
Did you make a mistake with the 2A power distributor, which can only supply 2.2MW to your lasers that require 6MW to keep them going. Even without that as a mistake, a 3A can only supply 2.8MW, so you'd be better with only one 2D mining laser to get a better jump range. That would give a better mining rate to match the limpets collection rate. If you mine faster than the limpets can collect, the fragments spread out and it takes longer to collect them. As a rule of thumb, you need 3 collector limpets for each 2D mining laser for best mining efficiency. It's similar with your ASP. It would be better to go down to one 2D laser.

Also, a small thing, but a 4C biweave shield might give a bit more security. It has the same strength as a 4D on paper, but the faster recharge rate gives it a big advantage, especially if you have to deal with multiple interdictions. You lose about .5LY jump range due to the extra mass, though you get that back if you go down to one laser.

Last edited:
Okay, so ... if you're using more than 100% power on paper when deploying hardpoints, without optimizing power priorities, when you fly out and deploy hardpoints, does everything shut down? Or only when you try to use the hardpoints, i.e. fire. That's what my original question boils down to. Because if simply deploying hardpoints would overwhelm the system, that's different than overwhelming the system by firing everything. Because if the latter is the case, then I should be able to go out with a seismic launcher, abrasion blaster, mining laser, etc. on there, because I'd never be using them all at once.

On the first mining build posted, you could just power down the seismic charge launcher you aren’t currently using and have plenty of power to spare.

If you’re over your ‘deployed’ power limit, meaning hardpoints out, your ship will power everything down if your priorities are all set to ‘1’.

At the very least, modules that aren’t necessary while mining should be set to a lower priority, or switched off when not in immediate use.

It goes deeper, especially when you get into the min/maxing in either PvP or exploration builds, but for now, you could certainly keep it simple.

On the first mining build posted, you could just power down the seismic charge launcher you aren’t currently using and have plenty of power to spare.
That's an interesting idea. Since I'm carrying two seismic charges to have more ammo, I could just always leave one of them powered off unless I need it.

Yes.

And that includes life support, so you'll be on emergency oxygen.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited:
Besides the obvious problem with the ship shutting down when you overload the power supply in that way you have to allow for the fact that even when you get the power back your shields will take time to charge and your Frame Shift Drive will take time to boot up before you are able to charge it for use.

You don't really need two seismic charges. One is enough to mine 200t of minerals.
You cargo space is 32t plus 6 bins in the refinery.

Last edited:
I was just wondering how how well you can collect with only one collector limpet:)

If you want to mine in Icy Rings try laser mining for Bromellite, Its fast to collect and plenty of places buy for a good price, Its also a regular request on mission boards and because of this there are several carriers within the bubble also willing to buy at a price premium.

Top Bottom