Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Although I would like to see a greater diversity of minor wreckages, irregular markers and flora.
The fact they didn't code the POI and flora procedurally boggles my mind.
I mean it has procedural placement but the things themselves aren't procedural. That's such a shame. Stellar Forge is arguably the best procedural engine in the gaming industry, right now. It's like using a lockpicking robot to hold your tools while you pick the lock. :rolleyes:

Couple of random thoughts while jumping and supercruising around :

1. The real galaxy rotates, does the one in the game do so too? Or it stays static so the distance between any 2 stars are always constant?

2. Never shot at a Beluga before. Are there any pirates/nasties flying Belugas?

Couple of random thoughts while jumping and supercruising around :

1. The real galaxy rotates, does the one in the game do so too? Or it stays static so the distance between any 2 stars are always constant?

2. Never shot at a Beluga before. Are there any pirates/nasties flying Belugas?
1. I don't think it rotates. Distance between systems appears to be fixed.
2. I've not seen any pirates in Belugas, but there might be a gang of them somewhere -- Beluga Baddies or some such :p

The fact they didn't code the POI and flora procedurally boggles my mind.
Quite baffling. I read, or heard, frontier saying they believed that their procedural generation skills were well above the ordinary in the industry and they felt they would lead the way in procedural generation. Seen as Elite 1984 made use of it they can claim it's embedded in their coding DNA. It's part of their stated strategy and embedded into the game. Also the flora gameplay is all about genetic variation, which fits hands and glove with procedural generation. You would think the decision to get the art department to create the plants was an early decision, a strategic decision. Baffling.

Quite baffling. I read, or heard, frontier saying they believed that their procedural generation skills were well above the ordinary in the industry and they felt they would lead the way in procedural generation. Seen as Elite 1984 made use of it they can claim it's embedded in their coding DNA. It's part of their stated strategy and embedded into the game. Also the flora gameplay is all about genetic variation, which fits hands and glove with procedural generation. You would think the decision to get the art department to create the plants was an early decision, a strategic decision. Baffling.
Yeah, to be fair they probably wanted to avoid No Man Skying the game (it took Hello Games what, three years to make their procedurally generated plants and animals NOT ridiculous? :) ) and went with the safer option.
But still, I really hope they're going to work on this after launch. Exobiology is the ONLY part of Odyssey that really interests me.

Yeah, to be fair they probably wanted to avoid No Man Skying the game (it took Hello Games what, three years to make their procedurally generated plants and animals NOT ridiculous? :) ) and went with the safer option.
But still, I really hope they're going to work on this after launch. Exobiology is the ONLY part of Odyssey that really interests me.
I was really looking forward to exobiology too. But that scanner thing... yuck. I know they're doing away with it but it really put me off.

Here's to hoping for great improvements to this part of the game!

There is artifical life research since the 1960s - there are well known algorithms for artifical plant growth and plant growth is highly mathematical to begin with - fibonacci sequence, fractals (self-similarity), golden ratio are all part of biology. With a bit of an effort put into it, it wouldn't have been hard to make believable artifical plant life.

so after recently starting out, getting my Fed and Imperial ranks up, and starting out on the engineer trail, i decided to do a bit more trading, first trip in my new type 9 with 750odd tons of agronomic treatments on board my adv docking comp decides to wedge me sideways across the entrance of a coriolis station, and then an orca tries to dock at the same time, trespass warning and boom, ship explodes. lesson learnt, watch the docking with the bigger ships...

Last edited:
What is your Odyssey plan?
I am tanking my FC with tritium 20kt and taking a low road to Colonia via Tritium-six.
Hoping to sell 10Kt worth of tritium at Colonia. And exploring all the way.
When I return to the bubble , pretty sure I'll need to shoot at some ground assets.
And work on my "Splinter Cell" like stealth moves.

I'm a bit confused. Still learning these assassination missions things. I picked up a couple where you fly to your target system and an NPC contacts you and wants you to follow them. They a bit elusive but I'm "always a tough one to track down".

Anyway, I get a message saying "I'm about to drop down. Follow me".

I tried dropping from SC as near as I can to him but there's nothing there. Should I have FSW'd him?

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to find my target - in this case some politician.

Anyway, I get a message saying "I'm about to drop down. Follow me".

I tried dropping from SC as near as I can to him but there's nothing there. Should I have FSW'd him?
Can happen sometimes, just rinse and repeat.

Otherwise, you'll need to target their wake and drop into that wake (like you would drop into any other signal source), not just near it. Can be a bit trickier than dropping into a SS.

Right, well, I won't be doing one of those anytime again soon! :D

Get dragged around a few system, become a murderer for killing a clean guy and then have a load of cops shoot at you whilst they shout at you in chat isn't my idea of fun.

Killing innocent politicians doesn't sit well with me. But then, perhaps "innocent politician" is an oxymoron! :D

Probably worried about giant phallic alien plants appearing on HIP 69696

What is your Odyssey plan?
I am tanking my FC with tritium 20kt and taking a low road to Colonia via Tritium-six.
Hoping to sell 10Kt worth of tritium at Colonia. And exploring all the way.
When I return to the bubble , pretty sure I'll need to shoot at some ground assets.
And work on my "Splinter Cell" like stealth moves.
I plan to clear my save and start from scratch, which has the unfortunate consequence that I now don't have anything to do in the game because "If I'm going to burn it all, soon, what's the point". :LOL:
As for concrete plans, they are kind of similar to my usual plans when I'm clearing the save - Start small - get the DBX - unlock Felicity - gut the DBX - sod off into the Black for half a year. :D
Only this time I hope the "getting to the DBX" part will take longer as I try the new things in Odyssey and discover new ways of making money and the exploration part will be a little more involved beyond taking pretty pictures and slapping my name on things. :)

I'm still having fun with my T-10, fuzting around killing loads of pirates. It's strangely relaxing. And it makes pretty good money. And my crewmate is getting better.

Here's a clip where he swoops in and attacks the pirate with some plasma, after which all the turrets on my T-10 light up at once. The poor pirate didn't last long. I found it quite satisfying :p

Source: https://youtu.be/olObUVdEoSQ

Killing innocent politicians doesn't sit well with me.
How about this one? I'd kill this one.

corny.jpg

I plan to clear my save and start from scratch, which has the unfortunate consequence that I now don't have anything to do in the game because "If I'm going to burn it all, soon, what's the point". :LOL:
As for concrete plans, they are kind of similar to my usual plans when I'm clearing the save - Start small - get the DBX - unlock Felicity - gut the DBX - sod off into the Black for half a year. :D
Only this time I hope the "getting to the DBX" part will take longer as I try the new things in Odyssey and discover new ways of making money and the exploration part will be a little more involved beyond taking pretty pictures and slapping my name on things. :)
/shudder

I honestly don't how you'd even consider a clear save! I know it's not a rare thing to do but it fills me dread if I ever had to :D

As to my Odyssey plans, I want to see how the exobiology stuff pans out first of all. Then I want to check out engineering ground-based kit works.

Before all that, though, I want to make sure my carrier survived the transition! :D

/shudder

I honestly don't how you'd even consider a clear save! I know it's not a rare thing to do but it fills me dread if I ever had to
Well for me it's simple. When I hit a certain point in the game (usually around 1bnC, when I've unlocked all engineers and own all the ships I'm interested in) I lose motivation to continue, because I kind of don't know where. I've usually been on two or three several months long expeditions, at that point, I have no interest in PvP nor any other multiplayer aspect of the game, fleet carriers or any other end game fluff, so I usually just roam around doing nothing. And that gets boring quite quickly. :LOL:
I've got two accounts to take care of, so this "cycle" usually takes me around half a year to a year (yes I know, it takes me months to earn a billion credits. Shocking) and then I have to "restart"

Last edited:
Top Bottom