Alec's best of the forum (and elsewhere) [v2]

I appreciate everyone is pretty focused on Odyssey right now but meanwhile I'm still catching up on a few older things and I just wanted to recommend @The Pilot's excellent interview with @Arthur Tolmie which is one of the most interesting Frontier interview's in recent memory. I still have about 20 minutes to go but I'd say this one is definitely worth a listen if you haven't already (and it's still relevant, even now the Odyssey Alpha is out - i.e. it's not just another one of the various pre-Odyssey-launch hype interviews that the CM's have been doing).

Source: https://youtu.be/FYNGKV8fZ6Y

Just gonna use my own thread to plug a new thing I seem to have gotten myself involved with.

Source: https://youtu.be/-6go3gxUUYw

Follow the link in the video description and/or the following forum thread to see the full pilot episode.

Alex Freeman
REBUY UNLIMITED
"never fly without us"

Trending: more Odyssey stuff (sorry but that's what's catching my eye at the moment) - firstly the hottest topic in town, that bio scanner mini-game - secondly (and arguably more important), issues with the new galaxy map (which you can vote on to try and make a difference) - and lastly (so this isn't all negative), the glorious Odyssey screenshots thread for those who don't mind spoilers and haven't already seen it.

Plus I just wanted to showcase a video (also posted in the bio scanner thread) of a suggestion on how the bio scanner mini-game could easily be changed from a twitch reaction game to something a bit more intellectual and better suited to the activity.

Source: https://youtu.be/-6wmmotwQa8

I'm still here but I am having a seriously hard time getting my mojo back I'm afraid.

In my wildest nightmares for Odyssey I imagined a lot of stuff would be added to the game that wouldn't interest me (e.g. I was never that excited about the idea of on-foot gameplay) but as an absolute minimum I thought that flying under blue skies would be cool, that there might be improvements to things like bookmarking and that atmospheric planets would bring a world of exciting new possibilities and that planning the next great planetary expedition would be an exciting prospect. But I never imagined that the UI's would be changed in ways I absolutely hate and in ways that really make me feel its designers just don't play the game. I never imagined the performance would tank so badly that I don't even enjoy doing the stuff I used to do (or that flying under a blue sky would feel so eurgh). I never imagined the lighting would be so horrible in general that, aside from sunrise and sunset vistas, most things would look worse (e.g. ask yourself why we're not seeing hundreds of screenshots of people on foot at Thargoid bases and Guardian sites ... because they just don't look good). And I never imagined that I wouldn't like the new planet tech ... but the simple fact is that I just don't. I'm just ... uninspired.

But I'm trying ... I'm still following the forums, still listening to the podcasts, still watching the videos. None of which is helping unfortunately. Obsidian Ant is sad. Lave Radio are sad. Erimus Kamzel is sad (and has currently abandoned plans for DW3), the bad news goes on and on. Even the Turning The Wheel project has fizzled out (and that's on Frontier too).

And I never liked to highlight negatives in this thread, so for now I'm remaining quiet. Vigilant, but quiet.

Last edited:
I'm still here but I am having a seriously hard time getting my mojo back I'm afraid.

In my wildest nightmares for Odyssey I imagined a lot of stuff would be added to the game that wouldn't interest me (e.g. I was never that excited about the idea of on-foot gameplay) but as an absolute minimum I thought that flying under blue skies would be cool, that there might be improvements to things like bookmarking and that atmospheric planets would bring a world of exciting new possibilities and that planning the next great planetary expedition would be an exciting possibility. But I never imagined that the UI's would be changed in ways I absolutely hate and in ways that really make me feel it's designers just don't play the game. I never imagined the performance would tank so badly that I don't even enjoy doing the stuff I used to do (or that flying under a blue sky would feel so eurgh). I never imagined the lighting would be so horrible in general that, aside from sunrise and sunset vistas, most things would look worse (e.g. ask yourself why we're not seeing hundreds of screenshots of people on foot at Thargoid bases and Guardian sites ... because they just don't look good). And I never imagined that I wouldn't like the new planet tech ... but the simple fact is that I just don't. I'm just ... uninspired.

But I'm trying ... I'm still following the forums, still listening to the podcasts, still watching the videos. None of which is helping unfortunately. Obsidian Ant is sad. Lave Radio are sad. Erimus Kamzel currently has no plans for DW3, the bad news goes on and on.

And I've never liked to highlight negatives in this thread, so for now I'm remaining vigilant, but quiet.
Pretty much mirrored my overall opinion and well stated sir.

I now feel bad contributing to the general malaise. As a counterpoint there's some good stuff here ... I guess ... if you read between the negatives.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
And I never imagined that I wouldn't like the new planet tech ... but the simple fact is that I just don't. I'm just ... uninspired.

But I'm trying ... I'm still following the forums, still listening to the podcasts, still watching the videos. None of which is helping unfortunately. Obsidian Ant is sad. Lave Radio are sad. Erimus Kamzel is sad (and has currently abandoned plans for DW3), the bad news goes on and on. Even the Turning The Wheel project has fizzled out (and that's on Frontier too).

I am doing what I do, plodding around the galaxy looking at the sights waiting for the planetary tech to get fixed. It's plainly obvious that it's not working as intended, but the amount of people who are acting as though this is it, I find baffling.

I did just want to say that DW3 wasn't going to happen at least until the console release anyway. And I am confused as to why the Turning the Wheel project not doing what they wanted to happen, is Frontier's fault? Unless you expected Frontier to treat them differently to everyone else and undermine over 6 years of other people trying to unlock something?

As for positive things it was posted here, but here is a great video.
Source: https://youtu.be/wEgpnUpXPtI

And I am confused as to why the Turning the Wheel project not doing what they wanted to happen, is Frontier's fault? Unless you expected Frontier to treat them differently to everyone else and undermine over 6 years of other people trying to unlock something?
I expected them to acknowledge it ... somehow ... in some small form. Just a Galnet article, something.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator

In my wildest nightmares for Odyssey I imagined a lot of stuff would be added to the game that wouldn't interest me (e.g. I was never that excited about the idea of on-foot gameplay) but as an absolute minimum I thought that flying under blue skies would be cool, that there might be improvements to things like bookmarking and that atmospheric planets would bring a world of exciting new possibilities and that planning the next great planetary expedition would be an exciting prospect. But I never imagined that the UI's would be changed in ways I absolutely hate and in ways that really make me feel its designers just don't play the game. I never imagined the performance would tank so badly that I don't even enjoy doing the stuff I used to do (or that flying under a blue sky would feel so eurgh). I never imagined the lighting would be so horrible in general that, aside from sunrise and sunset vistas, most things would look worse (e.g. ask yourself why we're not seeing hundreds of screenshots of people on foot at Thargoid bases and Guardian sites ... because they just don't look good). And I never imagined that I wouldn't like the new planet tech ... but the simple fact is that I just don't. I'm just ... uninspired.

And I never liked to highlight negatives in this thread, so for now I'm remaining quiet. Vigilant, but quiet.
Break is good sometimes. Recharge the batteries. And hopefully FDEV will come back up with some fixes and EDO will be what we hoped for. At least you can play. I've been stuck in Apex since a few good days now :D :D :D

Also, on Erimus, DW3 and (coincidentally) Turning The Wheel ...

1TameEi.png

I expect Erimus somewhat regrets that post now (and I apolpogise for digging it back up again), but it seems he spoke from the heart and it's a pretty damning statement really.

And yes, "the last of the great community initiatives" has gone utterly un-acknowledged in-game.

Last edited:
Break is good sometimes. Recharge the batteries. And hopefully FDEV will come back up with some fixes and EDO will be what we hoped for. At least you can play. I've been stuck in Apex since a few good days now :D :D :D
Is that the thing where your taxi lands on a planet where it's too hot/cold to get out ... and then just waits for you to get out?

Can't you just re-log to Horizons?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Is the Apex stuck in supercruise? I imagine you have already tried someone interdicting and destroying, no dice?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
For the sixth time now I think?

I expected them to acknowledge it ... somehow ... in some small form. Just a Galnet article, something.
They did acknowledge it in the early stages, but to be blunt what they're doing is no different from any group expanding any Minor Faction. I think they're a little busy right now trying to stabilise things to say well done to some people for gaining another few systems.

I understand a lot of people's frustrations and ones like Erimus' have built up over many years and it seems as though a lot of long time players have lost their composure and forgotten what things have been like for years. Or maybe it is just the repetitive nature of it. ("Turning the Wheel is the last great community imitative" Tell that to the truckers!)

But the way I look at it is there are enough issues with the game itself that need ironing out, that people finding extra things to be annoyed about and put the boot in to Frontier with is not only unhelpful, it's completely unnecessary.

Top Bottom