Alec's best of the forum (and elsewhere) [v2]

I'm not sure that's the right link Alec. It just opens the first page of this thread.
Yeah, I've always done this slightly perverse thing of keep all my "Trending" links together inside a SPOILER tag in post #1 and then directing people to that when I post an announcement of a new addition to the Trending section.

a262e3318b3a485efa4a9fefafda55f6.jpg

Three Seasons for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven Patches for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine hot-fixes for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One deadline for the CEO on his dark throne
In the Land of Cambridge where the Shadows lie.
One deadline to rule them all, One deadline to find them,
One deadline to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,

In the Land of Cambridge where the Shadows lie.

Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to Down To Earth Astronomy's "CMDRs Toolbox" site (already linked in the "other 3rd party sites and tools" section) which has an excellent new On-Foot Material Locations (Alpha Test)" tool which will tell you where to find all those different materials required for suit and hand-held weapon engineering.

I also wanted to mention Hawkes Gaming who has a highly rated Odyssey material farming guide video (gonna watch that in my lunchbreak today hopefully).

Source: https://youtu.be/avN6JBdAD_w

I also wanted to mention Hawkes Gaming who has a highly rated Odyssey material farming guide video
I'm interested in hearing what you think about it. It's pretty gamey, with a lot of logging off/on kinda stuffs. It does give lots of info on where things might be. I've personally decided to gather my mats by playing normally -- I don't find the "fastest" way to be the most fun. :)

I'm interested in hearing what you think about it. It's pretty gamey, with a lot of logging off/on kinda stuffs. It does give lots of info on where things might be. I've personally decided to gather my mats by playing normally -- I don't find the "fastest" way to be the most fun. :)
I'm going to file it under "soul destroying grindfest" (a category the observant among you will notice I don't have). Probably an excellent guide for those that enjoy getting grade 5 everything as quickly as possible while reducing all intervening gameplay to mindless busy work but personally it made me want to slit my wrists.

Last edited:
It's fathers day ... and that means that shameless self promotion is not only allowed but very much expected!

So, episode 0.1 of REBUY UNLIMITED is out.

Source: https://youtu.be/XkxoesujzZ4

Forum thread: first-episode-of-rebuy-unlimited-season-1

We're just making a bunch of little vignettes at the moment to keep the momentum going while we wait on various Odyssey issues (including suit livery and visor problems) to be resolved.

Also, trending: surfing towards Thargoids on escape pods!

Last edited:
Trending: It's less than a week until virtual Lavecon and the Buckyball Racing Club have a new race all lined up (and yes, it even includes a "Le Mans" start for Odyssey players).

Also - I've added Stealthboy's's definitive stealth guide to the Odyssey sub-section of "manuals, guides and other stuff for new players".

I really ought to make a whole separate Odyssey section but it will mean changing the bulb creating a new section banner image.

Added @Comandante's neat list cross-referencing each Odyssey engineering mat against its use + I've linked the pre-upgraded "sharing is caring" thread. Both can be found in the Odyssey sub-section of "manuals, guides and other stuff for new players" for now.

Right ... sorry but following on from that there are two others things I listened to today that I wanted to highlight, one in defence of Frontier's situation (and on a similar topic to the previous post) and one, errr ... not so much, but both somewhat eye opening! (please don't jump straight to the second one because that's what you want to hear ... the first one is more important).

The first is Paige Harvey (former Frontier CM and now streaming independently as Arthremis ) on the subject of toxicity in gaming communities. It's pretty strong stuff, with some pretty strong language at times, but I think it's a very timely (and pretty shocking) insight into what it's like as a CM being on the receiving end of the kind of language and tone that's becoming all too commonplace around here at the moment.

The second is @jnTracks on Loose Screws talking about his attempts to get a refund from Frontier for the Odyssey DLC on the basis that it turned out not to be the product he was led to believe it was (because of the VR issue).

Source: https://youtu.be/wGpXO6yMi2Y?t=1127

Sorry to follow Arthremis' very positive message with a slightly negative one (perhaps I should have put them the other way around?) but the main point is that after days of wading through cyclical and largely uninspiring noise, it was really refreshing to hear two very thought provoking points conveyed quite so clearly.

P.S. I promise I'll get back to the useful engineering reference material and Buckyball Races and the like next time!

Last edited:
Top Bottom