We need better communication

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
But all that is COMMUNICATION!!!

You know, that word that other's in the community are complaining that there is a LACK OF & that we need BETTER of too!!!

You just can't please some people.
Indeed.

We don't actually want "better communication". No-one actually cares how well Frontier communicate, not really.

If Frontier were - hypothetically, not going to happen - to release patch 6 next week which gave solid 60 FPS on a GTX 760, fixed all the bugs, introduced ship interiors, added console support, and merged the best features of Odyssey and Horizons planetary terrain ... no-one would care in the slightest if they were so busy they forgot to actually announce the patch until a week after it released.

Likewise, if Frontier gave us a detailed day-by-day roadmap which - in contravention of software engineering principles - was actually accurate, telling us exactly which minor bug was going to be fixed next week, that the PC performance issues would be fixed in 2023, with console release in 2024 ... that would be brilliantly open and comprehensive communication ... and no-one would care because the news would be so bad it wouldn't matter how nicely it was communicated.

What we want is the game to be fixed, and then to keep being developed, and appreciative as I am of what Sally and Zac and the team have been doing on the comms side, it's mostly not at all relevant to whether or not the game gets fixed, and if so when.

I'm not dismissing your concern, not even slightly, but it's possible that they're not even sure exactly what it is they need to do yet, no? They're working on it.

Also, trust me, you would NOT want the current PC state ported to console.
I'm running the Windows version as I've had to since 2018 :)

There is a list of issues, perhaps Frontier could explain what is being done to address them, because I'm sure they're not just sitting on their hands, shrugging, and saying 'we don't know what to do'.

You will until the umpteenth time he calls you up at daft ‘o clock in the morning in tears at all the negativity on the forums. Then you’ll mention Powerplay and he’ll just hang up on you.
Nah, he'd ring me because i'm like this guy:

Harvey-Keitel-as-Wolf-in-Pulp-Fiction.jpg

You have a corpse game in a car, minus an expansion, in the garage. Take me to it.

There is no "we". You don't speak for me.
... for we are legion - resistance is futile!
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyIQBNhxyE4

If you feel like FDev isn't communicating well, is it really them and them alone? Or is it possible, however unlikely, it can be us?
No, it's just them, we're communicating 24/7 (check the issue tracker) - they're just not responding. Not that I'm expecting a detailed roadmap of where the game is and where's it's going, or a dev diary that turned into another 'we're fixing stuff and things have changed' post.
... and called liars, thieves, swindlers and...
If the shoe fits :) or do you still believe the alpha we got sold as a finished release was, y'know, actually a release build of the game?

If the shoe fits :) or do you still believe the alpha we got sold as a finished release was, y'know, actually a release build of the game?
No I don't. Heck, FD even admitted as much by now. I just fail to see how throwing about even more unsubstantiated promises will somehow improve the situation.

I like to think that FD have learned from the mess that was the Odyssey release and don't want to repeat it.

To some people communication isn't communication & is ignored if it isn't the communication that the listener WANTS to hear.

Arf said it on stream a couple of weeks ago, when asked why there's no listed fix post beforehand when an update is coming, until it's released.

His response was true & quite correct...."the team are working right up to the last moments fixing & testing stuff & some may be found to cause other issues, so then wouldn't be included...." or words to that effect.

And that's probably why this 'roadmap' for fixes probably won't be a workable idea.

Honest question: What is it, exactly, that they're supposed to "communicate?"
I don't need dates. It would be nice but it's not really a concern.

What I want to know. When you consider what EDO has brought to the game. How did we end up in a situation where computers that are les than 3 years old end up being outdated? And this was sprung us at very late notice don't forget.

Has the technology failed?
Was optimisation actually done?
What technology was introduced?
Whilst I don't require specific dates, a road map on the optimisation process would be very handy so I can make an informed decision on whether to upgrade my computer or not. Considering the chip shortage and prices. It would be nice to know.

To some people communication isn't communication & is ignored if it isn't the communication that the listener WANTS to hear.

Arf said it on stream a couple of weeks ago, when asked why there's no listed fix post beforehand when an update is coming, until it's released.

His response was true & quite correct...."the team are working right up to the last moments fixing & testing stuff & some may be found to cause other issues, so then wouldn't be included...." or words to that effect.

And that's probably why this 'roadmap' for fixes probably won't be a workable idea.
You can't publish a deadline (well, you can, but it would momentously stupid) until you have a realistic idea that you can meet it.

I personally prefer answers (even though I'll be the first to admit that I'd want more) like "we know this is a mess, but we haven't quite figured out yet how to fix it, but we're working on it hard", over "sure thing, we'll have it fixed next Thursday just after tea.

Unless they know they can have it fixed next Thursday, right after tea, that is.

To me, it's not really about "we want more honesty and communications" as much as it's about "we want you to tell us what we want to hear or we're going to throw a hissy fit!"

What I want to know. When you consider what EDO has brought to the game. How did we end up in a situation where computers that are les than 3 years old end up being outdated? And this was sprung us at very late notice don't forget.
I'd like to hear that too, believe me, because this launch was horrid, but I don't expect them to give me answers until they have some they can actually give us.

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
Game development is always ongoing, from investigating and fixing issues through to looking into new updates. However whilst development is always ongoing it isn't always in the right state to be shared. Talk about something too early and then you can end up with disappointment and anger if that thing has changed or isn't what some had envisioned. It's like seeing a live action version of your favourite book, it doesn't matter how good the acting is if the portrayal is different to your head-cannon.

Our developers are working really hard on the feedback we've been given, Update 6 is being worked on and we are exploring additional features and improvements to Odyssey which we will be more than happy to share with you once we can be sure what we show you is at least very close to what you will get.

As always we will share any news we can on the forums, social and of course in Supercruise News on Tuesdays.

I don't need dates. It would be nice but it's not really a concern.

Has the technology failed?
Was optimisation actually done?
What technology was introduced?
Whilst I don't require specific dates, a road map on the optimisation process would be very handy so I can make an informed decision on whether to upgrade my computer or not. Considering the chip shortage and prices. It would be nice to know.
Frontier may know now...
Frontier may not know now, but may find out...
Frontier may never know or find out....

Whether Frontier then go on to tell us & how much they tell us, that's to come.
IF Frontier manage to get runnability fixed, how many would be bothered to know then, they'd be playing & enjoying.

It's about putting things into perspective.
Currently I have little concern regarding how much better or how soon I will get a better experience when playing Odyssey.
As I keep saying. it's a game!.............& I have more pressing RL issues to work through, before getting eaten up by how well/not well a game runs on my laptop!

Update 6 is being worked on and we are exploring additional features and improvements to Odyssey which we will be more than happy to share with you once we can be sure what we show you is at least very close to what you will get.
Bingo.

Keep doing that. I appreciate it. I don't like pie-in-the-sky announcements, even though I'm thirsty for updates.

You keep on giving us what you can give and nothing more. I appreciate that.

Best of luck to all of you. I know you're working your ARXes off, why wouldn't you? It's not just a game franchise, it's your jobs.

Keep on keeping on and all of my best!

Bingo.

Keep doing that. I appreciate it. I don't like pie-in-the-sky announcements, even though I'm thirsty for updates.

You keep on giving us what you can give and nothing more. I appreciate that.

Best of luck to all of you. I know you're working your ARXes off, why wouldn't you? It's not just a game franchise, it's your jobs.

Keep on keeping on and all of my best!
That's a good point.......to US it's a game, but to the Frontier staff it's their livelihood.

Anyone even suggesting that they are doing anything less than being full commited are talking through their ARX'es

Good response from Paul, trust you & your colleagues can get through this for us & keep us informed when you can.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom