Newcomer / Intro My Return to ED ......

Don't use SCA. Just fly there yourself and when you get to about 20-30 seconds away, just slow down and approach slowly yourself.
As you get really close, you will get the blue message pop up to disengage your FSD.

Best bet for interdictions, by the way, is to learn to escape them. You have to keep the blue 'escape vector' circle right in front of you, by maneuvering your ship. It's hard at first, gets easier. There is no way to avoid having them happen.

If you do get pulled out of supercruise, though, you have to then wait for your FSD to cool off, and attempt to jump away again. The pirate may ask for your cargo. You can drop the cargo to get away. You'll live, but fail the mission. Or you can just try to jump away, which probably won't work (they will shoot you). Jumping to another system, rather than back into supercruise, is faster because you can't be mass-locked by the attacking ship.

I've gotten so used to them by now I barely notice, but interdictions are a fact of life in ED. They happen a lot, especially if you are carrying cargo (but even if you're not).

If you are NOT carrying cargo, you can hit zero throttle to submit to the interdiction, the pirate will scan you and find no cargo, and he/she will leave. Then you can go on your way.

Not according to your screenshot. Read the entire thing. It says right at the top that the depot is Cohelo, and there are 2 items, zero collected.
What???? Oh!!!! Your right it was Cohelo. I picked 4 missions: one with tea, 3 with oil.
I'm taking a coffee break at the moment in the station's restaurant (it's very nice, lot of pretty waitresses).
Give me a minute and I'll get back to the hanger where Misnati is and do some checking .......

Don't use SCA. Just fly there yourself and when you get to about 20-30 seconds away, just slow down and approach slowly yourself.
As you get really close, you will get the blue message pop up to disengage your FSD.
The trouble is (remembering SCA is not working for me) I can't get within 20-30 seconds. I assume you mean in FSD time. Hmmmm .....In real-time I'm over an hour away ....... so maybe I am only 20-30 seconds away in FSD time. :unsure:

The trouble is (remembering SCA is not working for me) I can't get within 20-30 seconds. I assume you mean in FSD time. Hmmmm .....In real-time I'm over an hour away ....... so maybe I am only 20-30 seconds away in FSD time. :unsure:
I might as well take this moment to attempt to explain the ETA reading. The game shows an estimated time of arrival, which can be confusing because it is based on the speed you are currently traveling. Thus, when you are in supercruise, and you are at the beginning going slowly, it will show a long time. Then, as you go faster and faster it starts showing a smaller time. This probably all makes sense so far.

But, when you begin to approach a station and your ETA says about 7 seconds left, if you don't slow down right then you will overshoot (because there's a limit on how quickly you can slow down when you are traveling so quickly in supercruise, I suppose).

If you reach the 7 second mark and DO slow down correctly (to 75% throttle, in the blue zone), then the ETA will stay at 7 seconds, because you are both slowing down AND getting closer. At that 75% throttle setting you will arrive at the correct speed to drop safely at the station.

Supercruise Assist attempts to do this for you, BUT it cannot pilot around objects and will just crash into stuff. You have to be careful to position your ship so that won't happen, before turning on SCA.

What???? Oh!!!! Your right it was Cohelo. I picked 4 missions: one with tea, 3 with oil.
I'm taking a coffee break at the moment in the station's restaurant (it's very nice, lot of pretty waitresses).
Give me a minute and I'll get back to the hanger where Misnati is and do some checking .......
Oh ............................. OH! .................................. OH NO!!!!
I picked up nothing!!!! 🤬
I suppose I should fly back, pick them up and complete the mission. Besides one of those waitresses was very friendly .........

I might as well take this moment to attempt to explain the ETA reading. The game shows an estimated time of arrival, which can be confusing because it is based on the speed you are currently traveling. Thus, when you are in supercruise, and you are at the beginning going slowly, it will show a long time. Then, as you go faster and faster it starts showing a smaller time. This probably all makes sense so far.
Yes, yes ..... no problem ...... 😉
But, when you begin to approach a station and your ETA says about 7 seconds left, if you don't slow down right then you will overshoot (because there's a limit on how quickly you can slow down when you are traveling so quickly in supercruise, I suppose).
OK .......
If you reach the 7 second mark and DO slow down correctly (to 75% throttle, in the blue zone), then the ETA will stay at 7 seconds, because you are both slowing down AND getting closer. At that 75% throttle setting you will arrive at the correct speed to drop safely at the station.
Yes, I understand that. But I'm being dropped because I'm approaching too close to an object. I assume a very large object, not just a relatively small station. Normally if the station is in a remote locate and if I don't slow down upon approach, I will just go flying past. Not, as I am here, being disngaged from Supercuise because I'm too close to a very large object like a planet.
I'm about to re-do this mission as I didn't pick up the items I was supposed to deliver correctly. Let's se what happens this time with SCA deliberately being non-active.

Supercruise Assist attempts to do this for you, BUT it cannot pilot around objects and will just crash into stuff. You have to be careful to position your ship so that won't happen, before turning on SCA.
Is SCA an item you turn on and off why flying, within the cockpit?

Last edited:
Just an aside:
Steam :mad:

I run Ed through Steam.
They recently offered to install an update.
I rejected it. I find they don't always make any improvements and that's with any updates, not just Steam's.
However, they advised me that the next time I reboot my computer, Steam would be automatically updated.
This happened a week later and ........
When, after rebooting, and clicking on my icon to run ED ........ NOTHING. 😮
Likewise when trying to open Steam ............ Nothing ..... and I mean absolutely nothing. :unsure:
Solution?
I HAD TO REINSTALL STEAM !!!!! o_O
At least I didn't have to rejoin!
I was still seen as a member, but I had to log-in again which included providing my password.
Having reinstalled, I could successfully open ED.

BUT THAT SHOULDN"T HAPPEN!!!
Steam? Get Real!!! :mad:
It's happened again!
Just like last time.
Yet again when an update was imminent or progressing unexpectedly.
Solution?
The same: Reinstall Steam.
Fortunately, I knew what to do to fix it .......
Sorry ...... it's not right!
Double p***ed off this time! :mad::mad:

It's happened again!
Just like last time.
Yet again when an update was imminent or progressing unexpectedly.
Solution?
The same: Reinstall Steam.
Fortunately, I knew what to do to fix it .......
Sorry ...... it's not right!
Double p***ed off this time! :mad::mad:
There's a big patch today. It's probably not you. I think the servers are down.

Now the game's crashed. Something about installing updates ...... :confused:
Yes, servers are down for an update.

One recommendation I followed was to have a key bound to set throttle to 75% which is the middle of the blue zone - I use backspace. So if you are traveling without SCA lock on, when the time left gets to 7 seconds (or if it's a big high G planet or several bodies close together, 9 seconds is wise) hit your bound key to set the right approach speed. If you're not quick enough, yuo get to do the "loop of shame" when you overshoot - we're all right there doing that more frequently than we will admin ;)

On the navigation pane and when you are already in supoercruise, there is a regular lock on target button on the far left, and the next button over that looks like a computer chip, is the engage supercruise assist lock. Supercruise assist tends to fly you slower to a destination, so if I want to supercruise assist to a destination in a hurry I point the ship a little away from the target to disengage SCA, fly fast until nearing the magic 7/9 seconds point, and then point the ship at the target to engage SCA at the last few seconds. If you're really good at timing it, SCA will drop you out of supercruise at high speed as if you will overshoot at exactly the right moment.

There's a big patch today. It's probably not you. I think the servers are down.

Yes. They now have advised me the servers are down and check here: http://support.frontier.co.uk to find out when they will be up again.
I had a look, but found nothing.
How is it you new?

Yes, servers are down for an update.

One recommendation I followed was to have a key bound to set throttle to 75% which is the middle of the blue zone - I use backspace. So if you are traveling without SCA lock on, when the time left gets to 7 seconds (or if it's a big high G planet or several bodies close together, 9 seconds is wise) hit your bound key to set the right approach speed. If you're not quick enough, yuo get to do the "loop of shame" when you overshoot - we're all right there doing that more frequently than we will admin ;)
Good point, thanks. I'll set a key for 75% like you. (y)

On the navigation pane and when you are already in supoercruise, there is a regular lock on target button on the far left, and the next button over that looks like a computer chip, is the engage supercruise assist lock. Supercruise assist tends to fly you slower to a destination, so if I want to supercruise assist to a destination in a hurry I point the ship a little away from the target to disengage SCA, fly fast until nearing the magic 7/9 seconds point, and then point the ship at the target to engage SCA at the last few seconds. If you're really good at timing it, SCA will drop you out of supercruise at high speed as if you will overshoot at exactly the right moment.
Now that is a good tip. Thank you. (y)

I can boot-up ED, but can't get to SOLO mode. It's "greyed out" as is everything else except "Training".
You're on Steam. It may take a while for the update to properly show up there. It's one of the reasons I stopped using Steam.

In any case, on a Patch day patience is always required. Stuff takes time to disseminate across the various servers and whatnot. The game also tends to be unstable for a while after they do a big patch. Just wait and let it settle for a bit.

PS mine is still downloading, even without Steam.

Top Bottom