Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 7 Notes

My FPS are cut in half as soon as an Odyssey settlement is instantiated, even if the damn thing is at 80-100km away and merely a HUD and radar indicator (i.e. too far away to be visible on the horizon).

What a mess, either engine wise or code wise. Actually, both is more likely.

Don't know if it has been already said, noticed that today with the latest patch :
  • The time to grab manufactured parts dropped from destroyed ships after a fight has been greatly reduced(would say 2min at least)...intended or not ?
  • The ship is rotating automatically to some angle when reaching a fsd target, I wonder why something like this could be introduced ?????

I'd die any day for a great cat picture
aZNEHmi.jpeg
scxY6NC.jpeg
xT7uBjl.jpeg

There are apparently plenty of commanders who are displeased with the state of Elite Dangerous Odyssey. And probably rightly so, because with every update new bugs appear and old bugs, which were fixed before, re-appear.

Developers are working hard, no doubt, to fix the new bugs, and the old. And the community managers are working hard to assure everyone that all is being done to make them happy. No promises, no guarantees, but blood sweat and tears.

This loop will continue until most bugs are fixed and most people are happy. Hopefully.

But what I see too little of, is a discussion about the work-flow within Frontier that is leading to the state we're in. Why do bugs re-appear? Why do things break that worked before? These are not issues caused by a lack of effort, or a lack of human resources, but a leaking work-flow.

I love Elite. I've played it for years and I'm more than willing to stick with it regardless of its problems. But I would feel better if Frontier were willing to improve the quality of the work-flow. And without sharing details about it, the only way they have to show progress in this field is to prevent old bugs from re-appearing and to make it evident that the game is tested properly before release.

Much luck and thank you for your gargantuan efforts developers and community managers.

o>

Frankly, I'm at the point where I love FDev "update" days. It has the pull of a large vehicular traffic accident. I eagerly await to see what weird bugs spawn in the aftermath. It's delightfully unpredictable and creative; it's like throwing a two or three year old into a hated sibling's room, eagerly awaiting an exciting outcome.

I loved this game dearly.
Resigned now, but will stay positive.

Sally, you are f**king amazing. You are a shining light. Thank you again.
o7

I love Elite. I've played it for years and I'm more than willing to stick with it regardless of its problems. But I would feel better if Frontier were willing to improve the quality of the work-flow. And without sharing details about it, the only way they have to show progress in this field is to prevent old bugs from re-appearing and to make it evident that the game is tested properly before release.
Same, and the thing is that because of the lack of past communication, all we can do is speculate on things. My own take is that Elite started well, things were improved, but the addition of Odyssey is just too much for the base game to handle, and I suspect that behind the scenes a complete rewrite is underway.

I for one would love a proper announcement - not corporate PR speak, not tinned apology letters from someone higher up (though DB's apologies were appreciated), or a quick cobbled together roadmap that was never updated - basically just saying "Look, we released the game in an awful state which is something we shouldn't have done. To be honest, we had no idea how the issues we've seen got through testing, in hindsight there should have been a longer phase where these things could have been ironed out, but people were clamouring for the release, and honestly we were under pressure to get it out prior to our FY ending. All that said, here's what we're doing" and from there let us know if they genuinely feel the base code is workable, if it needs a complete rewrite, or somewhere in between. And also let us know stuff like "We hear you on X feature, that's getting done but likely not for X amount of time" or "We hear you on X feature, but we're not going to be doing it, end of"

Whatever Chris Roberts’ faults may be, he has made no assertions that SC is a finished product nor has it been advertised or sold as such.
That's letting him off on a technicality. He has, for years, peddled the "It's still alpha, but we expect the game will be released in the next 12-18 months" scam. It's only in the last 18 months or so he's stopped giving estimates on release after Squadron 42 was delayed for the 23,434,473rd time.

So for a DECADE, people have been giving him alpha-access money based on being told repeatedly that the game was coming within the next two years.

Frankly, I'm at the point where I love FDev "update" days. It has the pull of a large vehicular traffic accident. I eagerly await to see what weird bugs spawn in the aftermath. It's delightfully unpredictable and creative; it's like throwing a two or three year old into a hated sibling's room, eagerly awaiting an exciting outcome.

I loved this game dearly.
Resigned now, but will stay positive.

Sally, you are f**king amazing. You are a shining light. Thank you again.
o7

I'm out exploring with friends on a carrier, some more experienced with the game than others. Every one of us independantly considered the best place to log off pre-patch in anticipation of there being some weird, random & pretty major new bugs. It's just so predictable it makes me wonder why it keeps happening. Perhaps several smaller patches are worth trying, and a plan for backing out elegantly that's based on more than hope.

Got off lightly with just a minor problem with buying limpets (for tritium mining) and some odd lighting, bet the few remaining PvPers are having fun with their new toys while they can ;)

Last edited:
I love how you might have an hour free to sit down and play EDO. You fire it up and presto all you bindings are gone. So you spend the next hour pulling your hair out trying to work out how to get it all working again. Meanwhile you commander dies because you were outside your ship when you last played, short on oxygen and couldn't resolve your bindings drama in time. Update 7, another roaring success!

The time to grab manufactured parts dropped from destroyed ships after a fight has been greatly reduced(would say 2min at least)...intended or not ?
I'm going with "not". Based on a few other commanders' reports of material behaviour - no collision with ships, no momentum on dropping, fragments spawning inside asteroids - I'd say they've either not been added to the correct physics space, or they've not been added to one at all. At least in this case they did intend to change something about the physics of drops:
Mining deposit fragments are no longer in instances where they are stuck inside rocks.
Hold tight; let's see what the hotfix (hopefully due tomorrow, according to tonight's stream) brings.

Though, with things going wrong that appear completely unrelated to the contents of the patch, that might just mean "what broke this time?" every week rather than every month.
Exactly, it's surely spaghetti code at this point that's at the heart of a lot of the problems and once things hit a critical mass with that (which seems to have happened some time ago here) it's a virtually endless problem.

A little something for "the original devs were better" crowd to consider: the original devs left behind a code base so fragile the current devs wind up fighting forest fires every time they make a change. Of course, there may be some overlap between the two groups (as anyone who considers "comments are for yourself six months later" optimistic* will understand all too well).

* sometimes six minutes, sometimes 16 years

I guess I'm one of the lucky few, running a 8700k oc'd to 5.1 water cooled, and a gtx 1080 water cooled and have had no issues since install 9/19/21. tried multiple aspects in game and have been lucky I guess, settlements are crisp, clean and smooth and other planet missions are as well. the space game is visually impressive and explosions in the cz's and haz rez's are far better than horizons. spent over 6500 hrs since release and I'm enjoying another layer to the game.

Thank you so much. Added my 2¢. :)

Looking at things now I doubt they had time. Had to meet that end of May launch date, no time for testing beyond basic functionality.
Goes back to that old saying: "There's never enough time to do it right the first time but there always seems to be enough time to do it right the second, third, fourth, etc."

Though, with things going wrong that appear completely unrelated to the contents of the patch, that might just mean "what broke this time?" every week rather than every month.
Could be the result of "rotating teams". FD does alot more than just ED, so when a team or number of devs are "done" with something - they rotate to a place/project that has tasks ready to pick up. The advantage is limited down-time for each dev, but it also means that its not the same guys always working on the same problem.

Just guessing at this point though. I am really awestruck about how this continues to happen.

Top Bottom