Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 7 Notes

I can with certainty say that downloading of previously legal data (no ring bell) now makes NPCs hostile ... little weird logic when they added that ring bell in previous patch.
@sallymorganmoore Sorry to be a pain, but I think this is going to be one of those decisions that requires either explanation or reversion. As someone already pointed out, it's hard to understand why NPCs now think we have to die for downloading cat pictures.

This suffers from the same blight I mentioned on some other changes I mentioned in previous updates; it forces commanders into stealing or assault to obtain crafting materials, even if they don't want to play that way. The game needs more legal alternatives to material gathering, not forcing yet another requirement for theft and murder.

Who thought this was a good idea, and more importantly why?

@sallymorganmoore Sorry to be a pain, but I think this is going to be one of those decisions that requires either explanation or reversion. As someone already pointed out, it's hard to understand why NPCs now think we have to die for downloading cat pictures.

This suffers from the same blight I mentioned on some other changes I mentioned in previous updates; it forces commanders into stealing or assault to obtain crafting materials, even if they don't want to play that way. The game needs more legal alternatives to material gathering, not forcing yet another requirement for theft and murder.

I think that Odyssey is designed to make us a bunch of murderers or thieves. Probably it's some kind of revenge for calling out for space legs.

I think it's too easy to upset (and aggro) the NPC's already. This just makes life even harder and is not helped by the new AI and more aggressive settlements.

I hope this one is removed or toned down significantly.

Deleted member 182079

D
There's still quite a big difference in paint jobs between Horizons and Odyssey, at least for the Azure one:

Horizons:
View attachment 263930

Odyssey:View attachment 263931

(Although, to be honest, I'm not actually sure which I prefer.)
I prefer the Horizons one, and that's how it should look. I actually meant to check this last night as I was curious (given it was explicitly mentioned in the patch notes) but it was getting late so thanks for saving me the time - and I would say they actually managed to make it even worse in Odyssey.

I also noticed one of my completely broken SRV Iridescent PJ's (wasn't cheap just for the record) is now only 'normally' broken i.e. the shiny metallic effect still isn't there. Great work there FDev, as per usual:rolleyes:

It's like you implying that someone actually plays the game without dev account before implementing any new "features" that will "help" players. Like the good old lets press and hold a button to steal things while it being most efficient and for some the only way of obtaining said material

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it already - In surface settlements - after opening grenade box - grenades are floating in the air above the box (at approximately 2x box height)

As someone who does plenty of criminal stuff in the game I support this. The fun factor for players like me is that you're deliberately choosing not to do things the legal way. If you've no option, you might as well make it legal as the bounty and/or notoriety is just extra steps on the same path.

No one tests this game without a dev account. There have been a few questions put to Frontier since Odyssey launched, about how many of its team have actually done the engineering grind on Odyssey, how many suits/weapons have they upgraded, how long did it take them to upgrade, how long did it take them to unlock Hero Ferrari - without the use of a dev account. They have never replied to these question - probably because no one has.

No one tests this game without a dev account. There have been a few questions put to Frontier since Odyssey launched, about how many of its team have actually done the engineering grind on Odyssey, how many suits/weapons have they upgraded, how long did it take them to upgrade, how long did it take them to unlock Hero Ferrari - without the use of a dev account. They have never replied to these question - probably because no one has.
Looking at things now I doubt they had time. Had to meet that end of May launch date, no time for testing beyond basic functionality.

Frontier, I have to ask again, do you even play the game?
Plasmas nerfed 30%
Efficient lasers do same damage as unengineered ones.
Rails do less damage.
Enforcers are too OP.

Plasma oversized still do infinite damage.

No release log mentiones these shadow fixes.

Are you trying to shoot yourself in the foot?
What are you trying to do?
Why have you destroyed engineering? Why have you nerfed so many weapons to the ground?
You want to have a dead game?
You want to loose players?
We can do that :)

Tweaks added for data port download/upload AI responses.
  • AI now consider any downloading and uploading to be a crime.

Great now I need to stand next to a data terminal and be admonished for 200 seconds.

I really hope Sally just poorly phrased it (eg. only sneaky mission-related stuff which would make sense), but if downloading any data at any dataport is a crime... oh boy. Glad I've got my engineering done...

It does make the 'illegal data' a bit weird - as all downloading is illegal, but I guess Illegal Data is also illegal if you later get scanned - but it's less obvious as the download just gives you the warning for everything now - and nothing extra for Illegals. Wonder why they did it, weird.

"Tweaks added for data port download/upload AI responses.
  • AI now consider any downloading and uploading to be a crime"
Yeah...so I guess this is the F-you from Frontier to the non criminal playstyle players right here. One of the FEW non criminal things you could do is now a crime. Also doesn't look like much in the way performance since Obsidian's modern rig wasn't even hitting 60fps consitantly, in a combat zone. Really wish we could get a refund since were sold an unfinished game under the guise of being complete.

I find this change really debatable... Unnecessary actually
All downloads being illegal? Meh.

I can with certainty say that downloading of previously legal data (no ring bell) now makes NPCs hostile ... little weird logic when they added that ring bell in previous patch.

So the bell triggers the alarms (unless alarms disabled) and everything else just trigger people who see you dowoad it.

Agreed, one hundred percent. Didn't mind some stuff being illegal to download, but it was nice to be able to pop into (say) a tourist settlement and check the data port and just occasionally you would get a warm glow when an Opinion Poll showed up. Getting engineering data is hard enough as it is.

I think that Odyssey is designed to make us a bunch of murderers or thieves. Probably it's some kind of revenge for calling out for space legs.

@sallymorganmoore the change to downloads from data ports is quite gamebreaking.
Sure, not to the order of magnitude like the stuff that is happening with the weapons, but still

Downloading data makes all nearby (tens of meters) instant agro.

I disabled the alarms and proceeded to start a download. I was not crouched, but no NPC was directly looking to me
However the 3 workers that were within 30-50 meters in the same building, even those not on the same floor and with no direct line of sight, plus a couple of guards that were just outside the building - all of them became agro and rushed to kill me.
Actually they tried and failed, but that not the point here :)

This one change should be reconsidered, seriously.

Plasmas nerfed 30%
Rails do less damage.
Enforcers are too OP.

Why have you destroyed engineering? Why have you nerfed so many weapons to the ground?
Oh no, not that... less players means less problems with server load, so I would say go for it. I mean you already bought the game so...

Just WOW, thanks Sally.
Yday reported settlement dropping fps to 1 digit for a month.
Today, after reboot - 40 fps at exact known place for the 1st time.

Sort of magic.

Plasmas nerfed 30%
Rails do less damage.
Enforcers are too OP.

It's like a couple of years ago when they launched the ship kit for the Imperial Clipper and it would stop you jumping out the system. None of it is intentional, but things are seemingly so interlinked that changing one thing has a ripple effect. I'd consider this to be a typical update TBH. It will get put back eventually, but adding stuff to the game is like opening Pandora's box.

It's like a couple of years ago when they launched the ship kit for the Imperial Clipper and it would stop you jumping out the system. None of it is intentional, but things are seemingly so interlinked that changing one thing has a ripple effect. I'd consider this to be a typical update TBH. It will get put back eventually, but adding stuff to the game is like opening Pandora's box.
Yup, every major update needs a week of hotfixes to remove the weirdest side effects. :) Do note that U7 isn't apparantly made by ED's 'core code team' so that should give you some idea of what happened. ;)

@sallymorganmoore A bit a positivity for you: I just tried out the on-foot training again. Other than a minor visual glitch, it went very smoothly and that new "use item" feature is very very nice. Last time I tried, the mission was quite broken.

The glitch is the dark background for message text doesn't "cover" the entire message:
Screenshot_0723.jpg

Top Bottom