Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

CIG does this a lot, honestly. They were quick to announce that they were developing ASL emotes and even showed off a few and since then they've... gone silent.

Land claim beacons were sold, but they haven't really expanded on how they work, how they will be implemented, or much of anything on the matter since the initial rush.

I would definitely agree with you that most of the people are probably working on Squadron 42, with the caveat being "for now." This has also happened in the past. Squadron 42 was the priority leading up to every "Answer the Call" ad, and after the influx of money from the Calders (with PR statements to that effect). Then, priorities shift to bartenders, caves, prison systems, and more, which are related to SC and not SQ42.
Huh, didnt even know they announced ASL Emotes at all, lol. Seems cool. I guess the problem with that was the UI?

Now we have this weird radial menu and adding more emotes would just kinda clog it up so they're probably waiting on a rework for that (The UI team is the weakest team on the SC dev team, I think there are like 3 people in that team or so) I expect SQ 42 to take priority until end of next year/early 2023. Or until release, whenever that is.

No no. There was one much earlier than 2019. IIRC, 2019 was the second time they showed off a jump to Pyro. But that time was just a scripted jump, but basically looking the same as the one they showed off in 2016(?).
Did a bit of digging and found this:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5FBGfXACM&ab_channel=WilliamProton

This one is just some CGI animation of how they wanted it to look like, with the Presentation in 2019 being an actual kind of ingame example of how they'll look. Quite a difference in graphics i'd say.

Huh, didnt even know they announced ASL Emotes at all, lol. Seems cool. I guess the problem with that was the UI?

Now we have this weird radial menu and adding more emotes would just kinda clog it up so they're probably waiting on a rework for that (The UI team is the weakest team on the SC dev team, I think there are like 3 people in that team or so) I expect SQ 42 to take priority until end of next year/early 2023. Or until release, whenever that is.

(Sitting here in 2021, the last line of that brief article puts things into perspective.)

Oh its fine, i've been lurking here for some time so I know what to expect about this grand internet thread full of wisdom and knowledge, I thought it would be fun to participate aswell.

Sweet, you won't mind if I repost a few favoured memes then ;)

Well they've never been very proficient with dates anyway.

Indeeeed :/

OrdinaryNiceAndeancondor-max-14mb.gif

That 3.0 roadmap is still not looking too hot...

As a fairly heightened example, let's look at the infamous 3.0 Roadmap, targeted for delivery over the 2017+ period:

C5UjloB.jpg

Nearly 5 years later, and huge sweeps of that content and tech are nowhere to be seen. And everything which has been added, with the notable exception of mining, is in a 'Tier 0' introductory form. IE nowhere near the level of functionality or complexity that CIG say they aspire to. Both in terms of the ship functionality and the player professions.

You could have dropped in on CIG land in any of the intervening years and heard that loads of it was coming 'this year +1'. Salvaging for the ($400) Reclaimer, to make it more than just a shell. Multiple star systems to explore in all of those shiny exploration ships. Etcetera etcetera.

This is the downside to CIG's apparent transparency. They talk a damn good game, but there's currently a fairly absurd lag on them actually delivering it ;)

A few new databse additions are nice too

For sure. But what they're not, is thousands of players all seamlessly sharing the same space in a glitzy expansive space MMO ;)

Proof is kinda in the pudding there.

but I firmly believe we'll probably get Pyro + Nyx end of 2022 aswell. I know, I know "Pyro 2020" but According to the leaks server (which is always 100% right) Planet wise, Pyro and Nyx are done. Now for handcrafted planetary content and such, not so much but they still have about a year for that.

Sure, they should eventually figure out a way to get these assets into the game. (Probably via the simpler networking solution mentioned above).

But aside from the time-to-deploy issue (as we are getting comfortably into Duke Nukem Forever dev time), there's an aspect of sticking plaster over the cracks here.

To return to our friend Server Meshing: If they can't actually get that to work (and they can't ;)), and they're stuck with the proposed 'Tier 0' version, what is the prognosis for the larger ships that they've sold at exorbitant prices?

How is a player-owned Javelin going to duke it out with another, surrounded by a swirl of player fighters, even if they double the current player cap? How are they going to deliver these expensive things?

Y'know, all cool if they finally get systems 2 and 3 of 100 into the game. But if after a decade they still haven't got the exploration backdrop for the many ships sold in that role (IE 100+ systems with jump point discovery and an expanding roster of destinations), and they don't have the expensive capital class ships functioning at all, let alone in a way commensurate with their cost... What will year 12 really bring?

Those things?

Nah.

If games really could develop endlessly this would all be fine. But genuinely, they can't ¯\(ツ)/¯

At some point Chrissy boy is going to have to pay the piper. And that year won't be 2024, at this rate.

How is a player-owned Javelin going to duke it out with another, surrounded by a swirl of player fighters, even if they double the current player cap? How are they going to deliver these expensive things?
Oh boy, will probably read through most of it tomorrow as its getting pretty late here, but to the javelin question: Most of your crew arent gonna be players, really, its gonna be hired NPCs and they dont count towards the player cap. (Again, whenever that makes its way into the game, as functioning AI will need jesus tech)

Y'know, all cool if they finally get systems 2 and 3 of 100 into the game. But if after a decade they still haven't got the exploration backdrop for the many ships sold in that role (IE 100+ systems with jump point discovery and an expanding roster of destinations), and they don't have the expensive capital class ships functioning at all, let alone in a way commensurate with their cost... What will year 12 really bring?
Currently known that they're working on about 4 systems simultaneously right now (excluding stanton) and as for exploration, long distance probing is in the works and its mostly gonna be in system locations to explore and probe and all that but we'll have to see. As for how they'll go with server meshing, well they have a panel on it for citcon in about 2 weeks or so, so we'll have to wait until then to actually see how they're going with it.

Oh boy, will probably read through most of it tomorrow as its getting pretty late here

Fair play, same here ;). I look forward to any further chat you fancy having later :)

but to the javelin question: Most of your crew arent gonna be players, really, its gonna be hired NPCs and they dont count towards the player cap. (Again, whenever that makes its way into the game, as functioning AI will need jesus tech)

NPCs do often count towards player caps, depending on their complexity. (You can see that expressed in the Distant Worlds expeditions in ED, with larger player instances possible out in the black due to the lack of NPCs).

As you note, CIG are struggling fairly mightily with NPCs as it is, and this is frequently put down to server struggles. Do you think they're close to getting 79 of them bobbling around inside a moving Javelin? Next to another 79 whizzing about? (They could of course try to instance the interiors of the capital ships, but again this is something way beyond the current Tier 0 plan which, if it arrives in 2022, will be over 3 years late...)

Tony Z noted that the turret AI on the capitals ships was also a notable issue during the initial XenoThreat event, even when capped at 40 players.

There is so much server load, and computational load, implied by these enormous capital ships, with their interiors, exteriors, and proposed functionality. (I'm sure rendering and tracking the populated market of the Kraken while ships dock on its surface will be but a snap of some quanta fingers ;)). And the game's infrastructure is nowhere close to accommodating them at the moment....

Currently known that they're working on about 4 systems simultaneously right now (excluding stanton) and as for exploration, long distance probing is in the works and its mostly gonna be in system locations to explore and probe and all that but we'll have to see.

Still absurdly shy of the broader system discovery that was sold though ;)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_JC-ClscY

And time is ticking, as mentioned. Probing within systems just smacks of healing beams in comparison to those grander sales pitches ;)

As for how they'll go with server meshing, well they have a panel on it for citcon in about 2 weeks or so, so we'll have to wait until then to actually see how they're going with it.

I too look forward to hearing Turbulent's top man talk up their apparent rescue plan ;)

Oh Agony Aunt! Finally I get to talk to you! Your contributions to this thread have always been very interesting, bordering to posting most of the time but I digress. Indeed, that may be the case, they are always 1 to 2 years away from being done until they are actually done! Which in this case, may very well be 2022. I mean, the 700 people working on this have to finish working on something at some time.
Which bit is going to be done in 2022?

Progress is being made, I guess.

It seems most of the employees are on Squadron 42 which they are not showing us anything of, for good reasons probably,
I had to actually check that I am reading the v12 thread in 2021 and not v10 back in 2019. Because you sound just like Mr. Nowak. "Progress is being made" while it is the game that should be being made, not some progress. "X is delayed because everyone is working on Y", replace X and Y with SQ42 and SC or vice versa, depending on which deadline is being broken.
Oh, and did you mention the holy grail of server meshing? Because Mr. Nowak did.

Well I mean unless you're that kind of conspiracy person to say that nobody actually works at CIG and its just Chris and a houseplant updating the roadmap every few weeks.

It seems most of the employees are on Squadron 42 which they are not showing us anything of, for good reasons probably, And well if you do consider the most probable explanation it is because the servers suck horribly and we are waiting for the jesus tech to arrive for them to implement anything.

For example: These mining gadgets they recently announced at their ISC episode, and we hadn't heard anything at all about those before. So maybe they're actually keeping content from us to implement? Nobody knows but they themselves.
We have heard about them...a few months ago by Dan Trufin, the god of SC mining. One thing is certain, if he mentions work in progress or piece of kit for mining and shows how it works in a grey box demo...you can be certain it'll appear sooner rather than later. Unlike most of the talking heads appearing in ISC videos, if it's mentioned by Dan Trufin, it usually does what it says on the tin :)

Did a bit of digging and found this:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5FBGfXACM&ab_channel=WilliamProton

This one is just some CGI animation of how they wanted it to look like, with the Presentation in 2019 being an actual kind of ingame example of how they'll look. Quite a difference in graphics i'd say.

Jeebus, 2015 not 2016.

So, they made the graphics a bit better over the space of 4 years. They most certainly still didn't have it implemented in game in either case. But of course, CIG didn't fail to use it to suggest that jumping to another system was coming soon.

Hmm... wasn't it citizencon 2016 where they put jump to Pyro on the roadmap as coming in the not too distant future?

Ah, yes

Star-Citizen-40.jpg

Not just Pyro but "multiple" star systems.

Most of your crew arent gonna be players, really, its gonna be hired NPCs and they dont count towards the player cap

That remains to be seen. Some people will crew their ships with players, some with NPCs.

However, maybe they won't count against the cap, but they will add to networking overhead. Even though their actions don't need to be sent from clients, they do need to be sent to clients. So effectively each NPC would be almost the equivalent of a player in terms of network overhead. The more clients in an area, the more NPCs in an area doing stuff that needs to be communicated to other clients, the more overhead.

Of course, the sensible thing is to cull information that isn't needed. Like, does someone on another ship need to even know there is an NPC sat in a turret on your ship and how they look? Not really. But this is Chris "Fidelity" Roberts we are talking about, who will want you to be able to zoom in and see the NPC doing their stuff in the turret in the other ship, so no culling of that can happen.

And of course, you get twonks like this

n8t42pajz2q71.png

Because dying while running down stairs is obviously an intended feature and not a bug.
Wat? Thats almost as good as some of the Elite defenders ;)

I mean stairs are clearly dangerous, and you couldn't run or jump down them:

Source: https://youtu.be/8BUwEu0aZZ4?t=17

If we're going for the realism argument, then i'd like CiG to put in skateboards, as that's a far safer way to get down stairs than the current implementation!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnXAMHnd5yE&t=180s

Top Bottom