*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Ermm dunno I went to look for my post and it wasnt there ?
I responded to the
" knock it off everyone"
I didn't call any one stupid or belittled their thoughts or posts so no moderation was involved . Unless of course I hit a nerve . But not even a message saying it's been removed because ??
No rules were broken and I didn't aim any remarks to frontier staff ?
Same here, but I have had 2 posts deleted for no reason now.
Not good. At least give a reason why.
I notice none of the PC users posts belittling us have been removed.
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
That would be nice!! There appears to be a growing fear that it could go the way of the Apple version at least for the old gen consoles.
If you look at the minimum specs they stated for Odyssey on PC, they are a GTX780, which is broadly equivalent to the PS4's graphical capabilities. I don't think it's a coincidence and strongly suggests that they are wanting to keep the last generation consoles on board.

(Of course, it raises an issue because even the most charitable of reviewers would surely not deem Odyssey's performance on a PC with hardware at that level as being satisfactory.)

Personally, I did think it likely that Odyssey would see the end of last gen consoles and (don't shoot me) I think it would undoubtedly make for a better game for those still able to play it if the legacy hardware was dropped, but I do FULLY understand why that would prompt rage, so put the pitchforks away please.

Don't think I'm saying that with glee or anything - I'm just quite sanguine about the fact that at some point game requirements exceed hardware specs and it's time to let that hardware go to the great silicon graveyard. As a PC gamer, it's the nature of the beast and you're always just waiting for the first game you want to play that taxes your system too hard before you have to jump on the upgrade train again.

Last edited:
If you look at the minimum specs they stated for Odyssey on PC, they are a GTX780, which is broadly equivalent to the PS4's graphical capabilities. I don't think it's a coincidence and strongly suggests that they are wanting to keep the last generation consoles on board.

(Of course, it raises an issue because even the most charitable of reviewed would surely not deem Odyssey's performance on a PC with hardware at that level as being satisfactory.)

Personally, I did think it likely that Odyssey would see the end of last gen consoles and (don't shoot me) I think it would undoubtedly make for a better game for those still able to play it if the legacy hardware was dropped, but I do FULLY understand why that would prompt rage, so put the pitchforks away please.

Don't think I'm saying that with glee or anything - I'm just quite sanguine about the fact that at some point game requirements exceed hardware specs and it's time to let that hardware go to the great silicon graveyard. As a PC gamer, it's the nature of the beast and you're always just waiting for the first game you want to play that taxes your system too hard before you have to jump on the upgrade train again.
Couldn't agree more.. and it's nice to be able to do so without having offensive descriptions flung about!

Imagine if we had used the same language back to them! Still I'm glad the xbox crew isn't like that :)
I just want to make one thing clear here. I'm a 50 year old man - I don't define myself as 'PC crew', 'console crew' or any other partisan grouping, same as I'm not an 'FDev hater', a 'white knight' or whatever other tribal groups people want to identify themselves with on here. I'm a bloke who plays Elite Dangerpus and has opinions about stuff. I'm also 6' 2" which makes it quite difficult to fit me into boxes and I don't much like them. Probably for the best not to bother trying.

I just want to make one thing clear here. I'm a 50 year old man - I don't define myself as 'PC crew', 'console crew' or any other partisan grouping, same as I'm not an 'FDev hater', a 'white knight' or whatever other tribal groups people want to identify themselves with on here. I'm a bloke who plays Elite Dangerpus and has opinions about stuff. I'm also 6' 2" which makes it quite difficult to fit me into boxes and I don't much like them. Probably for the best not to bother trying.
I asked you not to use offensive language, not what your dimensions are. Also I'm taller lol

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
A GTX780 is actually more comparable to a PS4 Pro. The base PS4 is much weaker and coupled with the Jaguar CPU it's going to be a pretty mammoth task getting this working on Xbox and PS4 base machines at the moment looking where the PC version currently is.

The PS4 and Xbox versions also run at 1080p currently. I think the minimum PC specifications used to list a minimum target of 720p too although I think those got removed at retail launch. It's unclear what minimum actually means on PC for resolution and frame rate.

No not looking ideal right now for base consoles imo.

A GTX780 is actually more comparable to a PS4 Pro. The base PS4 is much weaker and coupled with the Jaguar CPU it's going to be a pretty mammoth task getting this working on Xbox and PS4 base machines at the moment looking where the PC version currently is.

The PS4 and Xbox versions also run at 1080p currently. I think the minimum PC specifications used to list a minimum target of 720p too although I think those got removed at retail launch. It's unclear what minimum actually means on PC for resolution and frame rate.

I'd like to think the One X perhaps the S and the PS4 Pro would be able to give Ody a run for its money.

I defer to your superior tech knowledge.

In Braben's well crafted comment he did say that the dates and details of the console launch would change, a very handy catch all phrase that could cover all manner of things. They could conceivably drop the old gen support and still bring it out on latest gen and that sentence would cover them quite nicely. Not a clear and upfront way of doing things but then we are talking about a company that changed the minimum specs the day before release.

They knew they were in trouble and were covering their behinds.

In Braben's well crafted comment he did say that the dates and details of the console launch would change, a very handy catch all phrase that could cover all manner of things. They could conceivably drop the old gen support and still bring it out on latest gen and that sentence would cover them quite nicely. Not a clear and upfront way of doing things but then we are talking about a company that changed the minimum specs the day before release.

They knew they were in trouble and were covering their behinds.

Calling it now come Nov but likely Dec you'll get a Dear John letter.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom