Newcomer / Intro My Return to ED ......

Now imagine going to Colonia without a fuel scoop.

It's been done!

Actually, it means more to me than you maybe realize.
I started a trip in my Hauler from LHS 2265 (in the BUBBLE) to visit Quain in COLONIA.
This before my understanding of X : Z : Y coordinates. 22,000LY meant nothing to me until I started to make "HUGE JUMPS" in my Hauler. :ROFLMAO:
I quickly realized it would take me 20 years not 20 mins to get there !!! 😲

Hence, I do have a feel for the reality of your trip and it's amazing, but Carrier ownership essential.;)

Ha! That's very interesting because ED Galaxy Map wouldn't plan a route for me (naturally), so I started jumping just blind.
848 jumps?
Ye ..... that's about 20 years for me (at my age). :ROFLMAO:
To put 848 jumps into perspective, Colonia to a bit past Sagittarius A* and about 12,500ly was 89 jumps in my Phantom where jumps were with about 70ly each or up to about 282ly each when I got a boost from a neutron star. Neutron star boosted jumps take longer because you have to fuel scoop the blue jet stream for a good few seconds. There were also enough neutron star boosted jumps that I had to stop twice to repair the Frame Shift Drive with the Auto Field Maintenance Unit which takes a few minutes each time. It took a few hours over two days to make the trip.
848 jumps to get somewhere is a psychological barrier I don't think I could get through.
Beagle Point is a famous location because back before engineering when the best jump range you could get was about 34ly, this was the furthest from Sol you could get at around 65,000ly away on the North edge of the galaxy. Beagle Point is still 45,000ly from Colonia. I'm not sure it's a trip I will ever do.

Now imagine going to Colonia without a fuel scoop.

It's been done!

Yes, I think I've talked about that with Quain, or maybe it was you, previously. But it meant nothing to me until I tried to do something similar in my Hauler. I suddenly realize what an incredible achievement by the CMDR.

To put 848 jumps into perspective, Colonia to a bit past Sagittarius A* and about 12,500ly was 89 jumps in my Phantom where jumps were with about 70ly each or up to about 282ly each when I got a boost from a neutron star. Neutron star boosted jumps take longer because you have to fuel scoop the blue jet stream for a good few seconds. There were also enough neutron star boosted jumps that I had to stop twice to repair the Frame Shift Drive with the Auto Field Maintenance Unit which takes a few minutes each time. It took a few hours over two days to make the trip.
848 jumps to get somewhere is a psychological barrier I don't think I could get through.
Beagle Point is a famous location because back before engineering when the best jump range you could get was about 34ly, this was the furthest from Sol you could get at around 65,000ly away on the North edge of the galaxy. Beagle Point is still 45,000ly from Colonia. I'm not sure it's a trip I will ever do.
Incredible. That all I can say. Just incredible ....... 😲

I started a trip in my Hauler from LHS 2265 (in the BUBBLE) to visit Quain in COLONIA.
This before my understanding of X : Z : Y coordinates. 22,000LY meant nothing to me until I started to make "HUGE JUMPS" in my Hauler.

Yes, I think I've talked about that with Quain, or maybe it was you, previously. But it meant nothing to me until I tried to do something similar in my Hauler.
Hold on, now I'm confused.
Have you actually left the bubble then to go to Colonia, or am I reading this wrong?

In my case, it's more the delay in it starting to reduce power. Which causes me to over-shot my everything.
eg. II was driving a car and I lift my foot off the accelerator I expect the car engine to react immediately.
Here's what the throttle setting looks like at full throttle in Supercruise:
ED Throttle adjust 1.jpg

Here's what it looks like 2 to 3 seconds AFTER I've tapped my dedicated <KEY> which re-sets the throttle to 50% of full Throttle.
Note the power has yet to commence adjustment even AFTER 2 to 3 seconds have passed. 😲
Why the delay?
ED - Throttle adjust 2.jpg

View attachment 268252
Here's what it looks like 2 to 3 seconds AFTER I've tapped my dedicated <KEY> which re-sets the throttle to 50% of full Throttle.
Note the power has yet to commence adjustment even AFTER 2 to 3 seconds have passed. 😲
Why the delay?
View attachment 268254
That's weird. Never seen that before.
On ps4 when I de-throttle, my speed drops down just after a couple of seconds.

So you are also experiencing quote: "..... speed drops down after a couple of seconds."
That's just like my 2 or 3 seconds delay.
Your speed won't drop down instantly, it takes a second or two, which is what happens to me.

In your images your speed is faster in the last one despite a lower throttle setting.
That's what I haven't seen before.

View attachment 268252
Why the delay?
View attachment 268254
I think I'm just going to have to allow for it when dropping out of Supercruise.

View attachment 268252
Why the delay?
View attachment 268254
The second picture where speed stays high or increases even on reduced throttle normally happens if you reduce throttle too late and too close to the destination. Hit 75% throttle 7 or more seconds on the timer to destination or you are too late, the ship speeds up and you overshoot. If you are approaching something with high G you might need to hit 75% (or less if you want to) at 9+ seconds out.

The second picture where speed stays high or increases even on reduced throttle normally happens if you reduce throttle too late and too close to the destination. Hit 75% throttle 7 or more seconds on the timer to destination or you are too late, the ship speeds up and you overshoot. If you are approaching something with high G you might need to hit 75% (or less if you want to) at 9+ seconds out.
This is correct. Your speed in supercruise is affected by gravity/mass of nearby objects, and if you're already too late at cutting the speed it'll just keep moving.

I'll leave out the theory of how supercruise works to achieve such great speeds for now (it's complex and I don't really understand it myself). Just be aware that you are NOT in normal space, and the usual rules of speed/distance/inertia don't apply, or apply differently.

I always hit my 75% key at 10 seconds out, because I like have a bit more time for my reactions to kick in ;) It works just fine for me that way.

When you've gone in circles returning to Robigo Mines on passenger missions many many times, you learn how to cut it find on hitting 75% throttle. You can just about get away with 6.5+ seconds, but 6 seconds is too late :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom