State of the Game

she has an investigative mind - wait for her wanting to explore her new humanly features of her body ;)
That'll make Piper jealous... :eek:

I've done far more interacting with the 'companions' this time around, last time I'd only really bothered with Dogmeat, Nick and Gage - none of the others, I'd be sorely tempted to drag Piper around once the 'story' bits with Nick & Far Harbor and Nuka with Porter are at the 'ready to end' stage, but will wait and see how Curie's humour develops, just in case. (Nick is also pretty good, he has some good lines too)

Her lockpicking is very handy, but I preferred Nick Valentine for hacking terminals (and his gumshoe persona fits the atmosphere really well).
as much as I like Cait - my companion was mostly X6-88 - I'm an institute gal, I know it is considered to be evil, but I don't see it that way, it is a good goal to not let people reestablish a system which is flawed by it's very concept - so if there has to be a bad concept, then why not with me as it's dictator? :rolleyes:

as much as I like Cait - my companion was mostly X6-88 - I'm an institute gal, I know it is considered to be evil, but I don't see it that way, it is a good goal to not let people reestablish a system which is flawed by it's very concept - so if there has to be a bad concept, then why not with me as it's dictator? :rolleyes:
I have to admit I didn't care much for Fallout 4's story, factions or general pacing, nor that you're drawn into the whole Minutemen stuff without actual consent. Then again, Fallout 3 wasn't too strong on that either. Again, I'd highly recommend New Vegas for the best Fallout experience since 1 and 2.

I can look forward to meeting a few more companions in my travels - now I'll have to look that one up in the institute, I guess?
he is an institute courser - a synth, he won't get involved into romance, but he is definitely respectful to the leader of the institute, you will feel like a god with him around, he is loyal to the institute though, not to you personally, keep that in mind when making decisions.

I have to admit I didn't care much for Fallout 4's story, factions or general pacing, nor that you're drawn into the whole Minutemen stuff without actual consent. Then again, Fallout 3 wasn't too strong on that either. Again, I'd highly recommend New Vegas for the best Fallout experience since 1 and 2.
simple solution, let the minutemen rot in the museum until later in the game - I played most of it without to have freed them from the museum - and later it is no problem with them, your settlement is established anyway, just get them there and ignore what they want - you are their boss not the other way round, don't let them bully you with requests.

you don't need minutemen to get your settlement going - just create a beacon and power it and soon settlers will come. It is possible to have a quite well running farm set up within a few ingame days like this - not every day a new settler is arriving but nearly every day at start. You can easily get an adhesive farm going within an ingame week.

Last edited:
simple solution, let the minutemen rot in the museum until later in the game - I played most of it without to have freed them from the museum - and later it is no problem with them, your settlement is established anyway, just get them there and ignore what they want - you are their boss not the other way round, don't let them bully you with requests.
Yeah, but you still need them to build that one thing to get to that one location (and that's also why I used mods to neutralise them as much as possible). The first hour or so of the game was just the worst in that regard. Meet some random do-gooders, "Hey, we don't know you, want to be our leader?", here's a Deathclaw, here's some Power Armor, here's a dog.

the no edo for console thread is finally as dead as the dreams of running EDO on consoles is.
To be fair mate it was on borrowed time peeps were starting to get a wee bit impatient (diplomatically put) personally well over Odyssey now l, just getting involved in the console community stuff. That's also starting to get very thin on the ground, but hey sure they'll do something about that within six months or so lol.......I'm hoping

the no edo for console thread is finally as dead as the dreams of running EDO on consoles is.

Meme (4).jpg

Yeah, but you still need them to build that one thing to get to that one location (and that's also why I used mods to neutralise them as much as possible). The first hour or so of the game was just the worst in that regard. Meet some random do-gooders, "Hey, we don't know you, want to be our leader?", here's a Deathclaw, here's some Power Armor, here's a dog.
yeah that shocked me as well - especially because I had to assume that the game is balanced towards using power armor, when it is given out basically at start - and I'm more of the sneaky no armor kind of gal - the silent death with blitz-ninja and my trusty combat knife, blitzing around cutting throats, what would I need armor for if they can't fight back, corpses normally stay dead :) - but in fallout 4 I had to sometimes wear power armor - what I really dislike.

my first experience with the deathclaw was different to how many experience it, because I'm the gal with the knife, getting up close and personally, so a deathclaw is not something I fear, so I went for it with my knife immediately jumping on it with blitz - and I had it down before it really started to act - because it's starting animation is long enough to kill it with a knife if you are built for melee combat - and it might just hit you once before it is going down.

the no armor gal - me - is highly agile, I can outrun and outmaneuver a deathclaw, it basically has no chance - so why would I even want to wear power armor?

Last edited:
yeah that shocked me as well - especially because I had to assume that the game is balanced towards using power armor, when it is given out basically at start - and I'm more of the sneaky no armor kind of gal - the silent death with blitz-ninja and my trusty combat knife, blitzing around cutting throats, what would I need armor for if they can't fight back, corpses normally stay dead :) - but in fallout 4 I had to sometimes wear power armor - what I really dislike.
It's not even about the playstyle for me. I feel that things like finding a dog, seeing the first NPC in Power Armor and seeing your first Deathclaw are pivotal moments of wonder and/or achievement in the franchise. I guess they threw in the window shopping tutorial bit to compensate for the lower attention spans of the modern day consumer, but it was still a dreadful decision.

It's not even about the playstyle for me. I feel that things like finding a dog, seeing the first NPC in Power Armor and seeing your first Deathclaw are pivotal moments of wonder and/or achievement in the franchise. I guess they threw in the window shopping tutorial bit to compensate for the lower attention spans of the modern day consumer, but it was still a dreadful decision.
the game is balanced towards having better armor - it is quite hard to play the unarmored character in fallout 4 - so they had to give the player something what protects him/her well enough, especially on higher difficulties - I like hardcore mode, so the damage is even higher - but it makes me as well a highly effective and lethal blitz-ninja.

yeah, I don't need a dog though - and when I had Piper around for a while, her urge to sit down somewhere brought me into trouble on several occasions - I am best on my own or with a trusty companion like x6-88 - he will do his job properly, because he isn't human. Otherwise the silent death is on her own - I need no one around making noise, the only noise I want to hear is that when my knife cuts their throats.

Last edited:
My favorite in "the" post-apocalyptic series was Wasteland, the original.

I tried Fallout and Fallout 2 but they failed to capture me to completion.

Wasteland 2 was good but also failed to capture me.

None of the sequels I've tried have given me the sense of a living world vs a scripted story line. Granted the first was also a scripted story line. But I played it through at least 10 times, and not always in the same order.

I have wanted to try New Vegas but I'm really crap at FPS, and real-time in general because I don't think fast enough. I'm surprised at how well I actually do at Elite, combat-wise.

I have wanted to try New Vegas but I'm really crap at FPS, and real-time in general because I don't think fast enough. I'm surprised at how well I actually do at Elite.
That matters a lot less in Fallout with VATS. It'll almost completely freeze time and allow you to easily cycle through enemies and spend Action Points to attack specific body parts (the ease and success of which of course depend on your stats, etc.). You can also save and load your game while out of combat, so if you expect trouble, you can always have another try. Also, the Fallout franchise is on sale on Steam quite regularly, so you can't really go wrong there either.

That matters a lot less in Fallout with VATS. It'll almost completely freeze time and allow you to easily cycle through enemies and spend Action Points to attack specific body parts (the ease and success of which of course depend on your stats, etc.). You can also save and load your game while out of combat, so if you expect trouble, you can always have another try. Also, the Fallout franchise is on sale on Steam quite regularly, so you can't really go wrong there either.
Yeah I much prefer turn based combat, which doesn't work well in multiplayer action.

I die frequently in Ody settlements...

Top Bottom