Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8 / Horizons Update | 27 October discussion

I might just be going nuts, but weren't the solar flares that rotate with your ship fixed previously?
I'm noticing them again frequently tonight, so either the issue has returned, or I just imagined them being fixed, sometimes it's all you can do.
You notice them missing you mean? I can't remember seeing them at all in Odyssey.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you meant the lense flares caused by stars. My bad.

Last edited:
You notice them missing you mean? I can't remember seeing them at all in Odyssey.
They're dynamic now, something close to true nature.
1st you see bright spot, then fountain flies out, then drops into with cool sparks.
Whole process takes like 5-10 mins total, and well, happens not so often. Couple per day if you sit and watch the star on orbit. I think it depends on star itself too somehow.

Short version: Freshly Stolen tritium, fleet carrier fuel depot not working as expected.

Ps4 pro.

Long version.
Managed to take 6 tritium from unhappy npc. And other stuff.

Took those to carrier. Tried putting in fuel depot. Showed zero of zero or 0/0.
Tried accessing fleet carrier inventory with right panel, the transfer button was greyed out and not usable.
Logged out. Back in.
Tried fuel depot again. Same as before.
Right panel inventory/cargo transfer button worked.
Placed stolen items on carrier. Kept stolen tritium on ship. Took one clean tritium from carrier inventory placed on ship.
Then Used fuel depot. Showed 1/1. Hit donate until Showed 0/0 ***( Each time hit donate would show 1/1 and 1 increase to tritium in tank.)
After this checked ship cargo, this showed just couple limpets I knew I had.

Edit : with just clean tritium worked as expected.

Last edited:

Edit: Sorry, I thought you meant the lense flares caused by stars. My bad.
These.
I saw them in Ody, I recall commenting previously how the stars seemed to have improved too.

But now I'm noticing them rotate with the camera (and thus, wrongly so) obvs, not so easy to see in a screenshot or 3
dRTXIZ7.png

BbO7eCQ.png

SfChT7T.png

These.
I saw them in Ody, I recall commenting previously how the stars seemed to have improved too.

But now I'm noticing them rotate with the camera (and thus, wrongly so) obvs, not so easy to see in a screenshot or 3
Ah right, you mean the fake volumetric effect bitmaps. They switched to those somewhere along the updates, can't remember when. Another example is the foggy ventilator with the backlight in some prison ships, those are some bitmaps too.

Ok - planets stopped flashing, working better with draw distance, lighting is better, FPS a bit better, Plants need aliasing at distance still and some atmos colouring, some rocks still float and drop. Still could be better - but cos i'm miles from anywhere interiors and settlements I have no idea.

I can't recall seeing this in the patch notes, but why am I seeing Horizons materials as mission rewards for on-foot content now? This particular mission board only has that for Combat missions by the way.
Can confirm. It appears that ALL standard, unmodified takedown missions have had their reward tables moved to that of in-ship missions instead of on-foot:

TakeDownWrongMaterials.jpg

From the lack of complaining topics and threads on here within first 12 hours of it release, I would say this update has been a resounding success. It's literally crickets on here, amazing. Well done FD, but as most of the posts are saying... keep going, keep improving Odyssey to be at the level your loyal commanders deserve.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
My feedback (also posted here)

TECHNICAL SPEC:
- i7 9700K
- RTX 3080
- 2560x1440 on all Ultra settings + some modifications in Override file + ReShade

Time played: around 3.5 hours.

You need to click the links to the videos, they are timestamped.

Overall experience (all the good things)

- The progress and improvement is well visible! Well done! But we're not quite there yet. The new features make up for the bugs and the bad stuff too.
- Overall improvement to performance, the stuttering is GONE almost everywhere, which combined with slightly improved FPS overall makes for actually acceptable and fairly smooth gameplayt experience.
- Emotes are AWESOME. Now all we need is to be able to sit at the bar and then order a drink from the black market deal... I mean from the alleged bartender.
- Megaship interiors are AWESOME! But there are only 6 5 Megaships of this class in the whole game (according to Fandom Wiki). That seems like a bit of a wasted effort... Unless there are plan to add more of them (the Colonia Highway I know of, but any other plans?)
- Smuggling missions are cool. I only tried the smuggle one. Getting to interact with an actual human in a settlement in a different way than assault (FINALLY!) is very cool.
- The anti aliasing fixes on planetary surface are amazing. FINALLY there is no shimmering AT ALL!
- Horizon clothing on Odyssey armor - YES! But we need more clothing choices. The available ones are now very old and the models look the same, it's only the design that changes.

Overall experience (all the bad things)

- CZ performance is still TERRIBLE. The only improvement is that I have not experienced a total freeze (granted I only did 1 CZ, because it was totally unplayable). The FPS never went above 40, which is absolutely unacceptable for a dynamic PVP shooter game.
- The distant terrain is "morphing" in a weird way (I reckon due to the AA fixes). Seems like the textures move and change and morph, when the player is mobile. When stationary, it settles down and looks great (no shimmering, per above comment)

The gameplay issues and bugs that I came across today (not including small cosmetic issues or glitches, as there were a few of those too).

- This happend in both stations and during the approach and after disembarking at an Odyssey settlement. The frame rates go down drasatically, sometimes to single digits (seems to be that some backround optimisation processes are going on) and then after a few seconds they climb back up to more than they were originally. In short: Approach and disembark, medium FPS (25-35), massive drop and stuttering (5-15), then climb back up to 40-50. I even got 60 FPS in a settlement for a short while once. (VIDEO)

- Input lag - I noticed on a few occassion that there is a slight input lag while on foot. I would move the mouse, but the in game camera wouldn't move at the same time, but some half second later. Same happened with keys used to walk (WSAD).

- Sticky keys - similar to above, but the other way around. When I walk and release the key, my character kept moving in that direction, sometimes for a FEW GOOD SECONDS. This is UNACCEPTABLE for the stealth gameplay and could lead to A LOT of failed missions.

- When leaving the CZ early via the dropship (after you respawn in it when you die on the battlefield) it goes into SC and towards the station. If you're very close to the station and you then turn on the menu (via ESC key) to for example change some keybinds, the Vulture dropship will go PAST the target station and will continue going forward forever. Workaround is to log out to main menu and log back in - the dropship is then in normal space and upon engaging Super Cruise, it will go back to the station. (VIDEO)

@sallymorganmoore
Still no attention or fix for certain missions offering relatively rare materials (MUCH NEEDED!) but every time on hand-in ONLY allowing you the paltry financial reward..... been banging my head against this constraint for months now....any suggestions (NOT the issue tracker please...just a waste of everyones time.)

Of course this could be a deliberate coding decision by a sadist dev who not only makes these hard to find materials and data so damn rare but then offers the tantalising prospect of player fulfillment only to snatch it away on mission completion by this evil means bug?...... :mad: (n)

Last edited:
Short version: Freshly Stolen tritium, fleet carrier fuel depot not working as expected.

Ps4 pro.

Long version.
Managed to take 6 tritium from unhappy npc. And other stuff.

Took those to carrier. Tried putting in fuel depot. Showed zero of zero or 0/0.
Tried accessing fleet carrier inventory with right panel, the transfer button was greyed out and not usable.
Logged out. Back in.
Tried fuel depot again. Same as before.
Right panel inventory/cargo transfer button worked.
Placed stolen items on carrier. Kept stolen tritium on ship. Took one clean tritium from carrier inventory placed on ship.
Then Used fuel depot. Showed 1/1. Hit donate until Showed 0/0 ***( Each time hit donate would show 1/1 and 1 increase to tritium in tank.)
After this checked ship cargo, this showed just couple limpets I knew I had.

Edit : with just clean tritium worked as expected.
Hopefully they regonize this issue soon, have the ps5 crashes after the goodwill patch for HRZN experienced again.

Top Bottom