Custom rout plotting and saved routs

I'm not so brash as to think I'm the first one to think of this but it may be good to hash it out, some folks from FDEV might lend some insight as well.

In a time and age where we can have a computer plot a rout for us through around 400 billion stars and in the blink of an eye be off scooping fuel and exploring the black. Why oh why can we not plot custom routs manually by selecting stars in succession on the already interactive map and click a button labeled ( add to rout ) then save them for future use?

This seems like a really easy addition to the game and would lend a huge hand to explorers who go deep into the black.

Imagine using the neutron plotter as is then being able to plot 5 jumps then a fuel scooping run and do that all the way to beagle point with a single manual session in the map window and just being able to jump as though the rout was computer generated, Then being able to save it for future trips.

If we could then send each other these routs it would encourage speed runs around the galaxy on identical routs.

This feature would open up a whole new way for explorers to interact and explore while also making exploration using the neutron highway much easier than it is now, which would encourage more people to do long range exploration.

Things that may seem easy on the surface from the user’s viewpoint are often not as simple as one might think.

That said, yes, it would be a reasonable feature.
So you think this would be a more difficult task to implement than making a rout plotter that automatically finds the rout for you based on location, destination and jump range? It seems backwards to me. The easier method, IMO, would be manual plotting, far less variables to calculate than an automatic system and if the user is wrong they self correct.

With the auto rout plotter already in the game along with the interactive map I'm 100% sure that this would be an easy feature to put in the game, it would seem that it could easily piggy back on these already existing features.

Now if there are reasons beyond the game, like storage space for saved routs or gameplay mechanics that this would somehow interfere with, that is why I asked for the insight of the devs or if an experienced coder maybe wanted to chime in that may be helpful.

They don't have any work to do, or a life outside of work, so this seems like a perfectly reasonable place for them to hang out, on call to answer urgent issues like this.

So you think this would be a more difficult task to implement than making a rout plotter that automatically finds the rout for you based on location, destination and jump range? It seems backwards to me. The easier method, IMO, would be manual plotting, far less variables to calculate than an automatic system and if the user is wrong they self correct.
What I am saying is that we do not know how the routing system is implemented into the code. I agree that making a manual system would be an easier task if starting from zero, but what you are looking at here is not starting from zero, it is including a new way of plotting routs into the current routing system. We simply do not know if this is easily done or not because we do not have direct access to the code.

With the auto rout plotter already in the game along with the interactive map I'm 100% sure that this would be an easy feature to put in the game, it would seem that it could easily piggy back on these already existing features.
How much experience of working on large collaborative coding projects do you have?

Also note that if you tweak the code somewhere to allow for something then it often comes back to bite you through new bugs. This is obvious essentially every update, most recently through the appearance of hammer gauss premium ammo getting a +120% buff instead of the +30% buff.

Top Bottom