Elite Dangerous Issue Report - 16/11/2021

Greetings Commanders! Happy Tuesday.

It's time, once again, for the latest installment of our Issue Report fly-overs.

Below you'll find the latest Top 20 table, based on your most voted issues in the Issue Tracker. Below that you'll find a bit of a status summary on where we're at with each to set expectations as best possible.

Note: The status and planned release of each issue is subject to change as various factors affect the ongoing development schedule.

View attachment 275401

Top 20 Issues

1. Tiling Planetary Features - Investigation remains ongoing. This is proving to be quite an undertaking to plan and aim toward solving, but the team are still keeping it in their sights.
  2. Anti Aliasing Not Working Correctly - Investigation into further improvements is set to continue, however secondary to performance improvements. To a degree, aliasing has been mildly improved somewhat due to planet texture generation changes, rather than an anti-aliasing system change.
  3. Exiting the Game just hangs need to force terminate - Attempts at consistenly reproducing this error are ongoing but currently not solid enough to nail down the reason for the hang. More information on the specific circumstances which cause this issue are being looked into as we continue to reach out and research.
  4. Joystick buttons 32+ not working - Priority has taken a step back in place of continued work on performance improvements. Still on the development radar, however.
  5. Severe performance problems since Update 5 - Navmesh refinement going into Update 9 should resolve this specific portion of the performance issues encountered. That is not to say all performance issues will be fixed on deployment of Update 9 - work on this will continue.
  6. Expose telemetry data for motion simulators - Investigation pending.
  7. Some in-game stats the codex & journal are not updating - Currently under investigation with QA working to reliably reproduce the issue.
  8. Supercruise Stuck at 0 - This issue has been reliably reproduced internally by our QA team, but could be caused by a variety of connection issues. Further investigation pending.
  9. Issues with Atmospheric Lighting - The primary issue (the balance of light tint) has been fixed for Update 9. As mentioned in previous Top 20 Issue breakdowns, further lighting issues will need to be reported and further tackled individually.
  10. FPS drops and crashes around settlements - We deployed a hotfix to prevent scatter rocks from affecting the navmesh it to rebuild, resulting in the stutter. Currently watching to see if this has fixed the issue.
  11. Powerplay - No CC income in formerly contested systems - This is unfortunately not a quick or easy fix, so we're currently at a 'TBD' stage with progress on this one. It's in our line of sight though, of course and we'll hopefully have more updates as we move on this one.
  12. Illegal Goods incorrectly attract -25% 'Stolen' markdown - The design team are currently investigating this issue. It may be possible to fix this in time for Update 9, but we'll make it a priority to update you on progress regardless.
  13. Planets and Moons orbit lines not visible in the FSS when in VR - Currently this is not possible due to how the camera interacts in VR. We're absolutely recognising it as n issue, however this is at the moment secondary in priority to performance improvements.
  14. SRV compass targets appear to be at great height - A fix has been implemented with the change to be deployed in Update 9, pending QA confirmation.
  15. System and Galaxy map misalignment in widescreen aspect ratios (21:9) - Requires significant/fundamental changes. The team are aware, of course and further updates on the issue will be provided when we have them.
  16. Illumination of background planets is tied to illumination of player ship by the illuminating star - Similar to the above brightness/contrast issue: could be related to system limitations but otherwise may require further overhauls.
  17. Incorrect brightness/contrast adjustment depending on angle between camera ship and star - This will require investigation into changing the way lighting has worked since before Odyssey. The issue is held with the team internally, we're aware, however performance improvements must be tackled first before movements can happen with this.
  18. Fleet Carrier info in system map is incomplete - This issue is due to be assessed soon. Once tackled, we'll have a more certain expected release estimate for you all.
  19. Discovered systems show validating - Appears related to the way we identify Xbox Gamer Tags - A fix is still being worked on.
  20. Thermal conduit too strong and wrong damage increase - Changes have been made, however further changes are required from design. Aiming for Update 9 but will of course let you know with more confidence as soon as we're able.

Fixes for Known, Immediate Issues:
As a small taster of things to come, I'm including a few (there are more! Not disregarding the more) of the known, immediate issues we've managed to tackle as part of the forthcoming update so far.
These are essentially issues which have fallen out of recent updates and had a frustrating impact all of their own, but haven't made it into the top 20:
  • Selling cargo results in 'Yellow Adder' error (since update 7) - Resolved, pending QA.
  • Paintjobs not visible in multicrew - Resolved, pending QA.
  • Ship HUD visible in external camera view of Camera Suite - Resolved, pending QA.
  • When using a Hatch Breaker Limpet on any Cargo Hatch or Escape Pod on a non-dockable megaship an invalid limpet target error is shown - Resolved, pending QA.
  • Stations Visibly Pop/Load In After Manually Jumping Out Of Supercruise - Resolved, pending QA.
  • Re-balance cockpit canopy effects - Pending QA
  • Ship Engine Smoke Trails Appear Ahead Of The Ship After Exiting Supercruise - Resolved, pending QA.
Apologies, but to focus primarily on a view to call out progress with fixes and Top 20 status progression in this post, I won't be including the "Immediate Open Known Issues" in this post too.
Just because that list isn't here today does not mean it doesn't count anymore - just to reassure you. Everything we collect here together and that's been acknowledged is still very much under the wing.

Thanks millions.

As always, (pretty much what the guys say when they type up these things) please do continue to remember that this a reflection of the current situation as we see it, and the planned release for these fixes is subject to change following testing.

o7, Commanders.
See you in the black.
Good old CMDR Validating, good to see them back in action.

#16 seems to be part of the family of issues where perspective is linked to player movements, not world fixtures.

:D S

Only just got home after some unscheduled overtime 😴 and haven't had chance to watch live stream, are any of the issues listed shared with console or are these being shown separately. Just to clarify not meant as a dig just want some clarity cheers and o7
@sallymorganmoore

The only reason I'm bothered about performance issues anymore, if because it's holding your teams back from working on actual stuff I'm interested in.

FD says every time that they need to get it working properly on PC before they can move it to consoles. If people can't remember that it's their own problem, not FD's.

What did they used to say? "Problem located between keyboard and chair."
Did the list look like they are on a good way? Honestly? Bring the game in a proper way immediately? Far away, very far away from the original masterplan, which is so many times repeated to the consoleplayers. That there are so many issues market as tbc ? Perhaps they should delay the new content which caused new problems, working out the game and after it’s reach a stable point, they can reconsider anything else. And yes I know they have legal duty’s, but not only for EDO!!!

I have to say that I’m quite disappointed that the Anti-Aliasing issue hasn’t even been started yet. It was marked as being worked on in the last couple dev updates, what happened?

Turning on/off the AA setting makes absolutely no difference to the image whatsoever in most cases, whereas in Horizons you can very clearly see a decrease in Elite’s notorious jaggies. In my experience, anti-aliasing straight up does not function in Odyssey, in space or on foot.

I will say though, that I’m extremely glad to see the stellar lighting tint issue is being fixed soon. That ticks off one of my most-wanted fixes! 🙂

FD says every time that they need to get it working properly on PC before they can move it to consoles. If people can't remember that it's their own problem, not FD's.

So much this. People don’t seem to realize that the base PS4 and Xbox One models are now 8 year old hardware, with the graphical capabilities of a GTX 750 TI at best.

If I still can barely get above 40 FPS on my GTX 1080/i7 7700k in a ground CZ, no matter the settings I use, then there’s absolutely no way Odyssey will run on consoles with a quarter of that horespower in its current state.

Many are complaining that the small bits of content coming into Odyssey are supposedly taking away extra dev time from performance work, but not every developer on the team can do performance work. The team still has artists, writers, modelers, gameplay designers, etc. People who have very little to offer on the actual code writing front. Do you really expect them all to sit around for 6+ months doing nothing?

Last edited:
So much this. People don’t seem to realize that the base PS4 and Xbox One models are now 8 year old hardware, with the graphical capabilities of a GTX 750 TI at best.

So many peoples, think really elite is a console killer? Honestly, with the missing optimization at the start and actually, elite would run on the old gen consoles. Honest question, when EDO is such a hardwaremonster, why the planned right from the start on ps4/Xbox x? Why not directly with ps5/xbox series x?
and honestly, elite didn’t look like an Star citizien. And most of the datas of the game comes from the server.

to your last point, with the other devs? They can still work out, planning new content etc, no problem, the problem is to implement this into a game which, is according to many of the pc community broken unstable etc.

so this lead me to an question?

is it so unstable when it comes to new features ?
Or is it then unstable, when consoleplayers are getting involved and ask for some clearfication?

Last edited:

Yup ... so we need a definition of "working properly on PC".

Preferably one that doesn't include "adding lot's of new stuff we hadn't mentioned before".

Many are complaining that the small bits of content coming into Odyssey are supposedly taking away extra dev time from performance work, but not every developer on the team can do performance work. The team still has artists, writers, modelers, gameplay designers, etc. People who have very little to offer on the actual code writing front. Do you really expect them all to sit around for 6+ months doing nothing?
It's the extra bugs that new content will introduce which will then even further delay the console work ... that's the issue.

I am disappointed that they haven't started working on antialiasing. I am tired of my eyes bleeding from looking at all the sawteeth and shimmering. It ruins the aesthetic.

Of course, to be correct that would be "Problem exists between controller and sofa"...
Yup ... so we need a definition of "working properly on PC".

Preferably one that doesn't include "adding lot's of new stuff we hadn't mentioned before".
Just give up, listen to the response in last night's stream carefully... If that isn't preparing for "it ain't coming"... Of course, it may just be that Arf is as ticked off by the entitlement displayed each day too...

Top Bottom