To Solo Play Players: If You Could Disable PVP, Would You Play in Open Play Mode Instead?

Haha ship go boom.
Meant the assertion of dominance, which is a behaviour deeply rooted in evolution. In human civilization we have learned to override this with social considerations, or may apply it willfully. Not all give off the impression that they are equipped with a choice in the matter, though. Judgement about others from such encounters therefore may turn out either as evil or incapable.

Sorry for the late reply, ran out of time there but didn't want to leave this unclarified. Is there a countdown to the next ganking thread or will this one continue? 🍿

Meant the assertion of dominance, which is a behaviour deeply rooted in evolution. In human civilization we have learned to override this with social considerations, or may apply it willfully. Not all give off the impression that they are equipped with a choice in the matter, though. Judgement about others from such encounters therefore may turn out either as evil or incapable.

Sorry for the late reply, ran out of time there but didn't want to leave this unclarified. Is there a countdown to the next ganking thread or will this one continue? 🍿
No it means exploding ships in a ship exploding game is fun.
Personally I like to explode NPCs more, but there are people who think otherwise.

Also thank you for my (late) 30 seconds of armchair psychology.

Most gankers don't care about the rebuy screen. They certainly don't feel dominated by it.
Me & the rebuy screen have a very special relationship, it must be just because of how often we meet! :ROFLMAO:

There are only a few times I've seen the rebuy screen and been annoyed / bothered... The last time was when letting the dogs out and letting auto-launch move my Cutter out from the station... 5 minutes later came back to the rebuy... Self-inflicted is the worst!

No it means exploding ships in a ship exploding game is fun.
Personally I like to explode NPCs more, but there are people who think otherwise.

Also thank you for my (late) 30 seconds of armchair psychology.
That's cool about NPCs, if it's other players though it's just hypocrisy trying to paint it as anything else than the above.

I'm under the impression that a lot of people, including myself, prefer to play Solo mode all the time, not because we don't want to play with others, but simply because we don't want to PVP others.

For comparison, let me talk to you about of one of the worst launches in recent years, Fallout 76, which to the surprise of some has actually redeemed itself (at least to some extent), but owes it survival to its community, which stood during awful first year fo the game, but also a community that confused Bethesda because the devs were convinced their players wanted more PVP... and they were proven wrong, best depicted through many of the ironic headlines that gaming journalism used to deliver the "shocking" revelation:

Bethesda Didn’t Get Why ‘Fallout 76’ Players Wouldn’t Kill Each Other​

Bethesda Apparently Shocked People Didn't Like PvP in 'Fallout 76'​

Bethesda Surprised By How Many Fallout 76 Players Didn't Want to PvP​

Bethesda was surprised how uninterested players were in Fallout 76's PvP​

Bethesda got confused that Fallout 76 players don’t murder each other​

Why is everyone being so nice?

Don't misunderstand: Fallout 76 do had (still has to a small degree) griefers and gankers, but the vast majority of players simply preferred not to engage in PVP.

Keeping things short, today many of the ways to engage into PVP have been disabled, pacifist mode is a menu option that makes it almost impossible to engage in PVP, and while the game's reputation will forever be tarnished by its launch, its actually in a better than many people expected (which can't be said for games like EA's Anthem, which already threw the towel and cancelled further development). It still is no substitute for a proper Fallout 5, but as a casual time waster with a Fallout theme: it's passable.

Back to Elite Dangerous, I think a lot more people would like to try playing in Open Play with random strangers in Elite if they had the choice to opt out from PVP, like having an aforementioned pacifist mode that disabled PVP interactions.

But that's just my impression, and I would like to hear what other thinks on this matter:

Do you think that Open Play would be negatively affected if PVP could be disabled?

Do you think Elite could benefit from having more people try to play & cooperate with others in Open Play?
It would be nice a mode that does not allow ships destruction. So you can still be engaged but the worst case that happens is that you get your ship disabled and then you can reboot the systems to have it operational again.
I ganked few ships during CG's but I never destroyed anyone. I used to stop shooting and let them flee when they had hull at less than 10% for example.

Last edited:
That's cool about NPCs, if it's other players though it's just hypocrisy trying to paint it as anything else than the above.

That's not true.

The game is just you in front of the screen and all kind of pixels on it. Whether or not there are other people controlling some of those pixels is utterly irrelevant. Ultimately there are people behind all pixels, including NPC's (people who programmed the AI in that case).

Last edited:
That's not true.

The game is just you in front of the screen and all kind of pixels on it. Whether or not there are other people controlling some of those pixels is utterly irrelevant. Ultimately there are people behind all pixels, including NPC's (people who programmed the AI in that case).
That's a very sociopathic approach.
And it is wrong.
Well then you were wrong ten thousand times, congrats.
What is more likely, that ten thousands are wrong or you?
A hint: it's you

It would be nice a mode that does not allow ships destruction. So you can still be engaged but the worst case that happens is that you get your ship disabled and then you can reboot the systems to have it operational again.
I ganked few ships during CG's but I never destroyed anyone. I used to stop shooting and let them flee when they had hull at less than 10% for example.

I don't know. The whole cost / consequences / offence / defence / escape / instancing / avoid altogether (whether by private or by blocking people) balance is all completely out of kilter anyway.

~100% NPCs are consistently stupid. They all go about the same stupid behaviors in the same dumb ways, every time...unless there is a major bug, then they get entertaining.

~85% of player characters are consistently stupid, making predictable mistakes that cause me to question if they aren't actually just more rude NPCs. Most could be confused for AI chatterbots, afflicted with various unflattering -isms, if it were not for their ability to cheat in ways that blatantly break the fourth wall.

A smaller portion of player characters is more unpredictable and mercurial, ranging from the comically inept to the disturbingly proficient. These are ultimately what make the game worth playing.

Anyway, Frontier has already effectively disabled PvP through a combination of population fragmentation, alienation of various sub-segments of the player base, and gross neglect of various technical and gameplay mechanisms that previously gave violence utility. Combat has become as senseless in ED as corporal punishment would be in a world where everyone was both immune to pain and physically indestructible.

That's a very sociopathic approach.
And it is wrong.

If I can tell the difference between PvP and PvE, something is wrong with the PvE.

There is no right or wrong because it is subjective. People react and interpret things very differently. You cannot refute it like that when they simply tell you a fact from their own inside.

The actual problem is the failure of a certain faction to recognize that (which fulfills the scientific definition of psychopathy, the inability to have empathy), or otherwise an even greater pleasure felt by a killer knowingly exercising their dominance over an unconsenting subject. Because if they had entered battle with consent, it would not be as interesting. This is expressed in another recurring discussion, why CQC/Arena fights aren't as popular as some think it should.

"Would more people go to our vegan restaurant if we added steak to the menu?"

Arguably, yes. But why stop there?

"Would more people play ED if we removed the spaceships and made it a F2P Battle Royale game"?

Arguably, yes.

If we are going to do things "because more people might play then", then whatever ED will end up is not going to be the ED you want. If you only use it as an argument to get things you want, but pretend "ED should remain a niche game!" when it comes to other things, you are basically arguing in bad faith.

Was this not the entire argument behind adding an irrelevant FPS into E: D? :unsure:

If I can tell the difference between PvP and PvE, something is wrong with the PvE.
Well yes and no, your point about many CMDRs not being any better notwithstanding (and you could probably include me in that). I'll be rather frightended if FDev can make NPCs that pass the Turing test!

Obviously shooting spaceships doesn't go that far but at the end of the day AIs will always end up demonstrating some pre-programmed behaviour that we can learn to recognise (AI in the current, rather than sci-fi sense).

Wish they could be a bit better though, I might improve then. AI I can trounce if we're flying roughly equal hardware, or humans that'll blow me up too fast for me to learn anything is what we've got :(

Top Bottom