Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I took a look into the 'Are Turb doing PU content / gameplay?' thing a while back:

They do have game designers involved in their PU teams at least. But no programmers. Feels like they must work in conjunction with CIG staff. Possibly designing the locations to work with new functionality etc.
I beg to differ...in the Turbulent lineup in that roundup video, 3 of them were programmers or engineers with only 1 concept artist and a producer amongst the rest...that was only a very small slice of a 100 strong and still growing team. They even pumped out a cheeky shout that they were actively seeking to recruit some Ai programmers 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I beg to differ...in the Turbulent lineup in that roundup video, 3 of them were programmers or engineers with only 1 concept artist and a producer amongst the rest 🤷‍♂️

Oh yeah I'm not saying they don't have engineers. They have a load on networking for a start ;)

It's all go in Server Meshing land. From 5 teams (13 engineers, 2 designers) around April...

To 8 teams (25 engineers, 1 designer) now...

A8NDYCZ.png

• Actor Feature Team (1 engineer) [NEW]
  • Engineering (1 engineer)
  • Game Services Team (0 designers [-1], 6 engineers [+5])
  • Mission Feature Team (1 designer, 1 engineer)
  • Network Team (6 engineers)
  • Persistent Teach Team (4 engineers)
  • Systemic Services and Tools Team (2 engineers) [NEW]
  • US PU Gameplay Feature Team (4 engineers) [NEW]

25 engineers.

This is gonna be cooked in no time ;)

EDIT: The 'Game Services Team' ramping up suggests that could be the Turbulent networking team perhaps.
EDIT2: Job adverts like these suggest it is indeed.

I'm saying they have none attached to their PU content teams seemingly.

Which is strange in itself. A straight 25% swap would indicate either equivalent value or one side needs the other side more or owed them. On one side a company that was a few years ago valued at over 400 million dollars vs a small web and media company with around 100 employees at the time of unknown valuation.....

So yes, maybe CIG owned Turbulent big time, because on the face of it, their shares would not be equal in value OR CIG was massively overvalued by Calder.
It's a separate deal and the valuation might have been different.

I've found "Turbulent founders Marc Beaudet and Benoit Beauséjourv each acquired 1,170 shares (2,340 combined) in Cloud Imperium UK Ltd"
What is the total of shares of CIG UK ?
I really have no idea...but those figures would suggest to me around 8-10% combined... as a no real idea guesstimate 🤷‍♂️

I can't find the reference but for what I remember, Turbulent acquired far less that 25%. It was one digit % but I don't remember the exact number.

Yep less than 1%:

Turbulent founders Marc Beaudet and Benoit Beauséjour each acquired 1,170 shares in CI UK Ltd. at an unchanged valuation from last year’s minority investment in Cloud Imperium by Clive Calder’s Family Office and Keith Calder’s Snoot entertainment, thereby increasing the total number of shares issued by CI UK Ltd. to 1,116,201.

What was interesting was that CIG created those shares. That meant a dilution of the valuation of all existing shares (including the Calders ones etc). Which is a bizarre thing for the Calders to sign off on.

The general theory at the time was that Turbulent were threatening to break away from CIG (over late pay for work provided, according to Agent leaks). This was a way of keeping them sweet. IE:

SA's accountant snake said:
The blog is attempting to be very carefully worded.

The Turbulent guys personally received real cash for 25% of the company that they personally owned, from the UK group. This cash amount could be anything at the moment but we'll find out the exact amount in theory around 30 September 2020 during the accounts filing.

The second part of the blog is that Cloud Imperium UK issued brand NEW shares to the Turbulent guys. So the £350k investment from these guys into the UK Group does not have any direct correlation to the amounts they personally received for their Turbulent shares. This change in capital should be filed with Companies House any day now...

I don't think it's a stretch to believe that UK filing requirements are the only reason they made this announcement in their blog. We've never been told anything about the share structure of the US group other than the outside investment last year was $23m for 10% of the US group.

There's no similar filing requirement for the US companies. So there's a pretty good possibility that the US Cloud Imperiums also bought 25% of Turbulent and gave up ~0.2% of the US group. That would mean the Star Citizen group owned 50% of Turbulent and would then only seem right that they had 50% of the board.

This is a long way of demonstrating what The Agent is saying. The Turbulent guys got a big personal pay out and a little taste of Star Citizen group companies. The Star Citizen groups got to keep the Turbulent guys close and keep going as things are. It's pretty clear which side was in a position of power in this negotiation

EDIT: FWIW, everything was filed correctly UK side seemingly, including Chris getting shaded down just below the 75% line.

• When the Turbulent guys got their shares Chris was knocked down slightly from holding 75% of shares (835,402 of 1,113,861) to 74.8% (835,402 shares of 1,116,201).
  • Companies Houses requires such a change to be documented within 28 days for a 'Person of Significant Control'.
  • CIG actually complied. IE:

Last edited:
Still a sore point with me...the myopic view of the focus group who were responsible for EDO. They could have made Star Citizen practically irrelevant for the majority of ED fans who invariably tried out SC (however briefly) after the disappointment with EDO's release... Had they included ship interiors and EVA gameplay on release, they may not have...from someone who enjoys both flavours of game... for different reasons :)
They could indeed! The main question is why didn't they?

If it was because of budget reasons:
It's hard to think how the shareholders will approve the funding required for a full ship refactor after Odyssey release fiasco.
If it was for technical reasons:
If Odyssey, which could very well be another game by how disconnected it is from the game, brought up so many technical problems, I can't imagine what something like Ship Interiors and EVA gameplay would bring since it touches everything, and specially the crown jewel of Elite, the flight/exploration experience. Doubt Frontier can afford another reputation hit.

I'm afraid Braben is now caught between a rock and hard place trying to catch up to their promised features that already exist in SC. The comparisons will inevitably be done and the flaws amplified by the fact that SC was made from the ground up with those mechanics in mind while Frontier ones an afterthought like usual.

After this expo free-fly it became clear though why one just keeps going back for more. Even with all the frustrating bugs (box why do you wait disappear?), performance issues (single digits FPS in harsh weather conditions) and even hard crashes (3k error) there's just something about that universe that keeps pulling you in.
Can't quite explain it but it's much more than just the graphics. There's a sense of believability and that there's always new stuff happening when you log in.
If this universe all from the head of the micromanaging maniac CEO like many claim, Hat's off to him. He clearly knows what makes the heart of a sci-fi nerd tick.

Every game session I'd find some little detail that unconsciously connected with another I'd seen days ago and that keeps on adding up. Don't even get into the toys department. Ships, armour, weapons, lot's and lot's of them and 0 grind needed to experience them (thank you rental system). Simple coop play: general chat, who wants to kill capital ship, accept invitation, share quest, boom lot's of phew phew and good credits.

The community feels hype like in the Elite Beta days, buzzing and excited about new features and ships and places to discover. I seriously doubt but secretly hope that Frontier can turn it around ,specially after the financial blunder they've gotten into. They sure have a lot of catch up to do, oh boy if they do.

Kate made a lot of great videos of the expo and a bunch of ships but the cake has to go to the volumetric clouds of the ice planet, it's like I've read, "a religious experience" and something that as a young chap who played Elite II and some flight sims always wanted to experience in ED. SC provided and, at least for me, that experience is worth the 45$ alone.
Also, seems Drew is another CMDR moving to greener pastures and joining the refugee camp after hardware checks.

o7

Hey, I am planning math courses for fellow forum goers and you seem to have serious difficulty to understand the concept of zero. I will have number theory and some fancy history bits. The story of zero is a particularly interesting one.

Zero is an easy concept.

How many wives does the typical SC whale have after the wife discovers how much he has spent on JPGs?

The community feels hype like in the Elite Beta days, buzzing and excited about new features

Well then good news! There are many more years of alpha to come ;)

Which does of course mean more of this, but so it goes:

Even with all the frustrating bugs (box why do you wait disappear?), performance issues (single digits FPS in harsh weather conditions) and even hard crashes (3k error)

---

SC provided and, at least for me, that experience is worth the 45$ alone.

Fair play to you.

(Keep us advised if you decide to spend more though ;))

Top Bottom