December Dlc Discussion! New PZ in the following two weeks days?

because european animals are kinda boring. I don't believe someone wakes up and says "Yoooo let me build this deer enclosure real quick"
1638306311560.png

Gimme Europe. Not only is it more animals (duh), but maybe we'll even get a boost to NA if they choose species found on both continents
I honestly doubt that will be the case with a 4+1 pack.
I think we can all agree, that both the red deer and alpine ibex are more or less mandatory for this pack, leaving us with 4 other candidates with a high chance (lynx, red fox, european badger, wolverine) and the chance for random curveballs like frontier tends to throw at us.
Just look at the arctic pack, two must haves (polarbear and reindeer) and two unconventional picks, that were also quite nice in the long run, while "better" alternatives like a muskox, arctic fox, mountain hare or the wolverine.
If i would need to bet, i would say eurasian lynx (aka the best lynx for the game, fight me on that), red deer, alpine ibex and a random spot, where i could see the red fox, wolverine, european badger, western capercailie and wild boar all having a good chance for, but also the possebillity of literally any other european animal, making only the red fox and wolverine as possible shared animals, with most likly if anything only one of them making the cut.

I feel like aviaries will end the game. Meaning it will be the last DLC Frontier puts out. Either that or an endangered species pack, which would be nice as well. With an aviary pack unlikely for a December 2021 DLC, and fact that there is 4 more DLCs left (after this one), I don't think it would make sense for the next DLC (after this one) to be aviary and then "come back down to earth" for the remaining ones. But, who knows, after this probable Europe DLC, they would have covered pretty much all geographical regions of earth (except Antarctica, but ya know). So, the direction is pretty unclear.

Anyway, I'm hoping for an update announcement tomorrow, but we may have to wait until next week for that unfortunately. If we do get it tomorrow, then we potentially could see a DLC announcement on Thursday and a release on the 7th, which is unlikely but definitely possible.

I feel like aviaries will end the game. Meaning it will be the last DLC Frontier puts out. Either that or an endangered species pack, which would be nice as well. With an aviary pack unlikely for a December 2021 DLC, and fact that there is 4 more DLCs left (after this one), I don't think it would make sense for the next DLC (after this one) to be aviary and then "come back down to earth" for the remaining ones. But, who knows, after this probable Europe DLC, they would have covered pretty much all geographical regions of earth (except Antarctica, but ya know). So, the direction is pretty unclear.

Anyway, I'm hoping for an update announcement tomorrow, but we may have to wait until next week for that unfortunately. If we do get it tomorrow, then we potentially could see a DLC announcement on Thursday and a release on the 7th, which is unlikely but definitely possible.
Both dlc suggestions would be bad "last" packs for the game, from every single perspective, be it gameplay, bugfixes, buissness, a possible sequel and ofcours ours, the consumers.
Aviaries would be bad as the last pack, because its really not cost effective to develop a whole new system for 1 10 bucks pack. Also, flying screams for bugs, bugs that wont get fixed if the lifecycle of the game will be over afterwards.
For all kinds of fanfavorite packs the answer is simple. Aslong as we can agree on animals to put in them, they could be a dlc for each animal, that they headline. More animals and props for us, more money for frontier, win win for everybody.
And before you start "oh but thats why its the last pack, there wont be anything afterwards" no its not. From what we have seen from frontier, they like to make sequels, even if they are apparantly allready milked for dlcs like planco or jwe. And what will these games get? Dlc of course. So even if some fanfavorites wont make it in planet zoo, im sure they will come in a sequel, as it would be very weird for frontier to sequel everything, but their best performing game.
My take is, that the "last" dlc should just be a normal dlc, maybe something that caps of the theme of what ever dlc cycle we have, like europe if support ends now as the last continent or the last biome if biome packs will be the next big thing

There is no fact, that there are 4 DLCs remaining after this one. The content folders which were found implicate that there are at least 4 more DLCs (after the christmas one) coming to us and I would also bet that these 4 are coming. But there is still the possibility that afterwards further DLCs are coming. The content folders 8-12 were also only recently found so I would not read a certain stop of support after next year into the number. Of course it could be the case but if the game is still selling well next year I can also Imagine that there could be further DLCs in 2023.

Personally I somehow do not believe that aviaries are the last DLC. It would be a missed chance not to use the popularity of birds within the player base in my opinion (which I do not share so much I must say).

Update announcement and DLC announcement this week and DLC coming to us next week would be cool. Arctic DLC was running wild on 17th and aquatic pack on 8th. So I would say both cases are possible.

The new feature/free update screenshots don't always correlate with the DLC, but they have in the past (e.g., screenshots of Asia-themed areas of a zoo ahead of SEA). So the architecture in the image looking Italian gives me a bit of pause. Between the image and the fact that there is one last continent remaining for DLC packs, I'm feeling like it's very likely Europe.

Whether or not it's an animal pack or a scenery pack is hard to say. I know there was chatter about some new building pieces, and we have the buoys out there, but it's entirely possible that these new pieces might just come along with the free update! Frontier has included free objects in updates before (e.g., new foliage and rocks) and since we're getting restaurants? Giving us some decorative pieces to go along with it, that aren't behind a paywall, would make sense. And the Italian-style building in the picture looks to have been created from pieces already in-game so there's no hint about new building pieces other than the buoys...

Between that and the lack of European animals in-game currently, I could see an animal pack coming our way to fill that gap. Similar to what they did with NA.

As for the buoys? I am feeling like we may learn more about those if they opt to highlight another new feature ahead of the full announcement (what that might be I have no idea; maybe a new boat ride?). Nothing about the buoys scream "Europe" to me, They're more general/generic. But then again, they've been leaning in that direction with the scenery sets anyway (making pieces that have utility beyond the DLC region).

Either way - I'm excited to see what news we get next! I'm really thinking when they tell us a bit more about the free update and any other features they might be adding in that it'll tip us off to the DLC content.

Another random thought: The fact that restaurants are able to be placed in habitats with "friendly" animals is really making me think we'll be seeing birds sooner rather than later. Probably not the upcoming DLC but... It feels like a step in that direction. Realistically, it would make more sense to be able to eat at a table surrounded by tropical birds than, say, lemurs y'know?

I could see the aviary stuff being further on due to JWE2, giving that a little longer since both games use a lot of the same engine and waiting a little longer for other issues there while working on the additional mechanics that would be required to make flying animals work with Planet Zoo...due to the heavier interactivity with the animals Planet Zoo has over JWE2 for perching and similar things
I struggle to see why you would think aviaries (or any new system) would be a good idea as a last DLC.
I would assume that it would be due to that's what happened with Jurassic World: Evolution...both the smallest dinosaurs in the game and the aviary as part of the last pack with the Return to Jurassic Park DLC...

Last edited:
Top Bottom