New 25 essential habitat animals META-WISHLIST

Thank you randomgoat! Here's my additional five.

1. Eastern Black Rhino
2. Geoffrey's Spider Monkey
3. Capybara
4. Dromedary Camel
5. Malayan Porcupine
6. Red Deer
7. Sika Deer
8. American Alligator
9. Victorian Crowned Pigeon
10. Fishing Cat
11. Asian Small-clawed Otter
12. Black-tailed Prairie Dog
13. Przewalski's Horse
14. Scimitar-horned Oryx
15. Japanese Raccoon Dog
16. Eurasian Wild Boar
17. Californian Sea Lion
18. Lar Gibbon
19. Hamadryas Baboon
20. Japanese Serow
21. Red River Hog
22. Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo
23. Fossa
24. African Crested Porcupine
25. Secretary Bird

1. Capybara
2. African leopard
3. Tasmanian devil
4. Przewalski's horse
5. Eurasian lynx
6. Fossa
7. Alpine ibex
8. Red deer
9. Red river hog
10. Musk ox
11. Caracal
12. Takin
13. European badger
14. Serval
15. Common wombat
16. Mute swan
17. Somali wild donkey
18. Kirk's dik-dik
19. Watusi cattle
20. Goodfellow’s tree kangaroo
21. African crested porcupine
22. Nigerian dwarf goat
23. Brown-throated three-toed sloth
24. South American coati
25. Ocelot

They're incredibly active lizards
Not generally. Reptiles don't expediate energy unnecessarily. Most zoos keep green iguanas in terraria smaller than the in-game exhibits without any trouble (as I said, 16m2 exceeds the AZA recommendations). Like all reptiles iguanas are typically happy to just chill in the sun if they don't need to go looking for food.

The in-game crocodilians, monitor lizards, and even tortoises are actually exceedingly more active than they would be in real life.

I wouldn't want the iguanas to be habitat animals. Making a habitat small enough to be realistic is already difficult with the dwarf caiman due to the huge hitboxes on the long animals in the game - it would be stupid to have a huge amount of open space for an iguana.

(not in order)

1.Siamang
2.Capybara
3.Gelada baboon
4.Emu
5.Goodfellow's tree kangaroo
6.Maned wolf
7.Wolverine
8.African crested porcupine
9.Grey crowned crane
10.Secretary bird
11.Marabou stork
12.Fossa
13. Red river hog
14.Amur leopard
15. Takin
16.Black howler monkey
17.Tasmanian devil
18.Commom wombat
19.Honey badger
20 Linnaeus's two-toed sloth
21.Mantled guereza
22.Giant eland
23.Red crowned crane
24. Przewalski's horse
25. West Indian manatee

First off I just want to say thank you @random goat for all the attention and personal time you have given to this meta-list. I’m sure it has been quite time consuming and your dedication has not gone unnoticed (also congratulations on your PhD!)

Since you have decided to keep this current version of the meta-list and allow everyone five more additions (which is understandable as I’m sure this version of the list has been quite the undertaking), I do have a few questions about some of the species currently excluded from the list. On my top 20 list, I noticed that some of my species selections were not counted towards the meta-list, though they do seem to meet the current “requirements” for it. Additionally upon reviewing others submissions and the current, not counted “exhibit and aviaries” tab you provided, there are a few other species people have been voting for that do seem to meet the rules as well.

On my list, the two species I voted for that weren’t counted were the Cownose Ray and the Giant Pacific Octopus. The Giant Octopus easily exceeds the size requirement for a species to be considered habitat-potential (with larger specimens typically reaching a radial span of over 20 feet). The species is usually kept in covered habitats though, as they are known to be exceptional escape artists, so perhaps this was your reasoning for not counting it?

For the Cownose Ray, I can’t really think of a reason as to why it wouldn’t meet the requirements. Adult Cownose Rays typically reach wingspans over 3 feet and a total length over 5 feet. Additionally, they are often kept in large, uncovered pools or tanks. They are one of the most popular ray species to keep in modern zoos and aquariums, as they can be quite tame and often enjoy human interaction (many are kept in touch pools). In regards to captive breeding, the Cownose Ray is also quite the success story, as a number of modern zoos and aquariums have records of birthings.

Other species I noticed within the “not-counted tab” that seem to fit the requirements include, the Victorian Crowned Pigeon, Tenrec, and the European Hamster. The Victorian Crowned Pigeon is the largest pigeon species in the world and is largely a terrestrial species. It would likely function in the game quite similar to the Peafowl (it does appear though that the Crowned Pigeon’s inclusion within the “not-counted tab” is a typo, as it also appears within the meta-list as well). The Tenrec appears to have been merely requested as any of the family’s various species, and with that in mind, there are a few tenrec species of comparable size to the Black-Tailed Prairie Dog, which is currently PZ’s smallest habitat species. An adult Black-Tailed Prairie Dog usually measures between 12 and 16 inches, and the Tailless Tenrec, the world’s largest tenrec species, typically measures between 10 and 16 inches. Like the Tenrec, the European Hamster is also close in size to PZ’s Prairie Dog. The European Hamster usually measures between 10 and 16 inches as well. Additionally, burrowing creatures like these also seem to be of particular interest to Frontier recently, with their addition of not only digging mechanics but also soon-to-come burrows.

I say all this not with the intention to sound nit-picky or authoritative, but to instead advocate for the inclusion of the species I mentioned. To the people who voted for them, these are some of their biggest wishes for PZ, and Frontier has shown that these animals are, functionally speaking, totally possible. I know this was a lot to read through and you are likely quite busy finishing up your PhD, so I don’t expect any sort of rushed response to this post. Hope you can find some time to enjoy the holidays in your break, thank you again for all your work!
Thanks for bringing this up SpookDoc.

The Victorian Crowned Pigeon (VCP) being in the 'Exhibit and Aviary animals' list is indeed a typo, as a bunch of votes for them are counted in the meta-list. This is a bit of a coincidence but thanks to your post I have now remembered what happened with the 'undercover Dodo' vote. At first, I considered the VCP as an aviary animal because the zoos I checked or visited had them indeed in aviaries and they were even featured in flight shows. But then, I read more about it and I realized it is indeed quite terrestial, I saw a couple of pics of them housed in open-air enclosures and on top of that they actually belong to the same Subfamily as the Dodo, a flightless bird. I remember this happened at the same time when someone voted for the Dodo, but this user later changed his vote (as it was not allowed) for another one, most likely the VCP iirc. Silly me, I forgot to get rid of the Dodo from the meta-list and also the VCP from the 'Exhibit and Aviary animals' list.

This being said, I'm less convinced about including the Hamster and Tenrec. Not because of their size per se, but because, unlike Prairie Dogs, I've never witnessed nor read about them being housed anywhere that isn't a terrerium or a small cage, no bigger than 3x3m. I might be wrong, as I'm not a zoo expert, so if you can provide some evidence of these being housed in bigger enclosures (that would work as PZ habitats), I'm happy to change my mind.

I totally agree about the Cownose Ray, I'll add it in the next update.

The Giant Octopus is also a tough one since afaik in most cases Octopus are in small aquariums, not much bigger than the terrariums we have in PZ. Again this is based on my own experience and knowledge, which isn't vast, and I'm actually doubtful I've ever seen this specific species (I assume it's one of the biggest?). I recall also seing Octopus in bigger mixed aquariums (not sure where), so I guess I can give this one a go too ;)

1. Amur Leopard
2. Dromedary Camel
3. Sloth
4. Alpine Ibex
5. Eurasian Lynx
6. Crested Porcupine
7. Platypus
8. Red River Hog
9. Moose
10. Puma
11. Red Deer
12. Capybara
13. Shoebill
14. Kirks Dik Dik
15. Somali Wild Donkey
16. California Sea Lion
17. Giant Armadillo
18. Ocelot
19. Caracal
20. Kiwi
5.5 (when I count the red deer AS 0.5) integrated

My +5
21. Serval
22. Asian Small Clawed Otter
23. Wombat (any)
24. Blackbuck
25. Hamadryas Baboon

At the beginning I wasn't lucky with my whislists, for example, the SEA pack only gave me 1 animal. However, with the last 2 DLCs I've got 8 animals I wanted. It's been a long wait, but finally it was my turn. It's a shame that i can only add 5 more, but the rules are the rules and I understand them.

1. Iberian lynx
  2. Red deer
  3. Alpine ibex
  4. Beaver (any)
  5. European badger
  6. Moose
  7. California sea lion
  8. Cougar
  9. Raccoon
  10. Wolverine
  11. Tasmanian devil
  12. Capybara
  13. Leopard (any)
  14. Addax
  15. Hamadryas baboon
  16. Walrus
  17. Crested porcupine
  18. Red fox
  19. Fallow deer
  20. Eurasian lynx
21. Musk ok
22. European bison
23. South American coati
24. Eurasian otter
25. Wild boar

I was tempted to vote for the Eurasian brown bear, because I still think that this was the biggest mistake ever made in Planet Zoo. With more than 200 zoos in Europe having them, choosing the Himalayan Brown Bear instead was a horrible decision, especially when there were already other 2 Asian bears in the base game. I know it will never make it to the game and if it did, people would complain and consider it a wasted slot, but I would consider it as the fixing of a terrible mistake.

Thank you, Random goat for your entusiastic effort. Marine Iguana would be a fantastic animal. The less represented animals are from mountains such as Himalayas or Andes, and Oceania and South America as well. We need more animals from these parts of the world!

Thank you, Random goat for your entusiastic effort. Marine Iguana would be a fantastic animal. The less represented animals are from mountains such as Himalayas or Andes, and Oceania and South America as well. We need more animals from these parts of the world!
It is practically unknown in captivity and from that point of view would be a wasted slot in my opinion.

Not that I’m a huge fan of marine iguanas, but isn’t the main goal of PZ: building the zoo of your dreams. In that point of view I guess every animal is justified in the list.
One way to stand out for a zoo is to have some animals that are super rare in captivity (at least in parts of the world). I like it if some animals are really rare.

Not that I’m a huge fan of marine iguanas, but isn’t the main goal of PZ: building the zoo of your dreams. In that point of view I guess every animal is justified in the list.
One way to stand out for a zoo is to have some animals that are super rare in captivity (at least in parts of the world). I like it if some animals are really rare.
That's exactly how I feel. I would love for more truly exotic picks like the proboscis monkey (and heck, even animals that went extinct within the epoch would be fantastic additions too!).

It is practically unknown in captivity and from that point of view would be a wasted slot in my opinion.
As long as dlcs are so limited in slots, I don't want animals which are literally never held in captivity. If we had infinite dlcs with infinite slots, then it could be nice down the line, but we realistically have ~25 animals left (assuming 4 remaining dlcs), and there are s lot more important animals than ones nonexistant in zoos.

As @yoav_r points out, we won’t get unlimited DLCs and every slot counts. Relatively rare in captivity is one thing (not something I’m keen on by the way) but unknown in captivity or almost unknown should really rule a species out in my opinion.

unknown in captivity or almost unknown should really rule a species out in my opinion.
Can somebody please make a list or thread featuring these animals? It'll be great to know what can be in a zoo or not, and we can even lead newcomers there so that they can learn that not all animals are able to be in captivity, too

As long as dlcs are so limited in slots, I don't want animals which are literally never held in captivity. If we had infinite dlcs with infinite slots, then it could be nice down the line, but we realistically have ~25 animals left (assuming 4 remaining dlcs), and there are s lot more important animals than ones nonexistant in zoos.
As @yoav_r points out, we won’t get unlimited DLCs and every slot counts. Relatively rare in captivity is one thing (not something I’m keen on by the way) but unknown in captivity or almost unknown should really rule a species out in my opinion.
I don't really think it matters for this thread. The overwhelming majority of users are leaning towards animals they have seen in zoos, or are aware of in zoos, so the odd random picks won't affect things much. I mean, I look at how high the kakapo is on the list and absolutely cringe because not only is it not in any zoos, it's against its species survival plan to keep it in captivity, and illegal for it to be moved outside of New Zealand.

In the end, though, this thread is ultimately a gauge of how popular animals are, not necessarily a list of what we can expect next in the game, even if Frontier does refer to it (e.g. they picked the fallow deer over the more popular red deer - I'm not complaining because I prefer the fallow deer anyway, but it shows that while they do look at this list and draw inspiration from it they still have their own reasons for picking certain species). So even if users do choose the marine iguana, or the kakapo, or manatee, or whatever else, it doesn't make it anymore likely that they'll appear in the game.

I don't really think it matters for this thread. The overwhelming majority of users are leaning towards animals they have seen in zoos, or are aware of in zoos, so the odd random picks won't affect things much. I mean, I look at how high the kakapo is on the list and absolutely cringe because not only is it not in any zoos, it's against its species survival plan to keep it in captivity, and illegal for it to be moved outside of New Zealand.

In the end, though, this thread is ultimately a gauge of how popular animals are, not necessarily a list of what we can expect next in the game, even if Frontier does refer to it (e.g. they picked the fallow deer over the more popular red deer - I'm not complaining because I prefer the fallow deer anyway, but it shows that while they do look at this list and draw inspiration from it they still have their own reasons for picking certain species). So even if users do choose the marine iguana, or the kakapo, or manatee, or whatever else, it doesn't make it anymore likely that they'll appear in the game.
We were discussing specifically in the context of the marine iguana.

Can somebody please make a list or thread featuring these animals? It'll be great to know what can be in a zoo or not, and we can even lead newcomers there so that they can learn that not all animals are able to be in captivity, too
I think any animal can be kept in captivity with enough research done into their welfare. Simply shutting off the potential to do conservation work seems rather regressive IMO

And what makes an animal important in your opinion? To me the most important criterium is that an animal is unique and that the game has a broad range of different species. If it vulnerable in the wild that is a big plus for me.
I don’t really care if a lot of real life zoos have them or not, actually.
And that’s fine. You do you. But I want to make realistic zoos that have a plausible real life setting. And I would prefer it if, given the limited number of slots we’ll get, that the overall focus was on animals that are more common in captivity and completely avoids those absent from zoos.

I think any animal can be kept in captivity with enough research done into their welfare. Simply shutting off the potential to do conservation work seems rather regressive IMO
I would argue that this isn’t about what shouldn’t be in captivity, rather it’s about what isn’t in captivity.

We were discussing specifically in the context of the marine iguana.
Yes, I am aware.

But marine iguanas aren't the only animal on the list that aren't found in captivity, so whatever arguments you make about that specific species apply to every species not found in captivity. Since your post boils down to "they aren't found in captivity and we should save slots for animals that are" I don't really see how the species itself is relevant.

Top Bottom