Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

When I ran 4.0 in SeasonOne (ED) and SeasonTwo (EDH) modes a while ago, it ran no different to Odyssey - maybe ED mode was a bit faster, as it doesn't render landables as actual planets, and just used the billboarded sprite method used for non-landables. So I have fairly great reason to suspect it'll run the same...
Question: How did you run ED and EDH as 4.0? I was under the impression that 4.0 is Odyssey only, and that those other 'modes' were literally the 3.8 Horizons codebase?

Question: How did you run ED and EDH in as 4.0? I was under the impressions that 4.0 is Odyssey only, and that those other 'modes' were literally the 3.8 Horizons codebase?
Process Explorer to copy the command-line the launcher starts the game with, then just append SeasonOne /SeasonOne or SeasonTwo /SeasonTwo (for ED and EDH mode respectively) when pasting into command prompt.

Given that this post is going around right now, I'd like to say that you do this at your own risk and I don't endorse nor recommend playing ED using undocumented parameters like this.

Last edited:
So my understanding of consoles future is slightly clearer now, we will be able to fully participate in Azimuth The Movie !!! 😂😂 but what do people think will happen to Consoles after Horizons 4.0 drops?, will we still be able to play the game as it is currently but without narrative updates? Incidentally, does narrative updates mean not being able to participate in any CGs?
A response from FDev would be welcome.
I doubt they will give much comment because from my perspective, they say one thing unclear and later clear it up. Then weeks later they make what was cleared up prior, even more confusing...here we are

That and this announcement about merging code bases is referring to the Next Narrative ie U14, not U13 and the end of the Azimath saga
I understand this but it's like everyone either did not read the post from months back that was pretty clear regarding no updates for console going forward.

Basically on Xbox I get to do community goals only but nothing actually changed comes to my Xbox version.

Read it again?
A confirmation that everyone on Horizons / Odyssey will be able to participate in the conclusion to the Azimuth Saga was given - in this case Frontier did not specify that it would be PC only...

Therefore, Horizons players will be able to witness the final event in the Azimuth Saga and access related gameplay scenarios

No exclusion of console players mentioned. But further narrative planned will be only on v4.0

Moving forwards, all PC players will have access to content in the next narrative phase given they are using version 4.0, except in cases where on-foot gameplay (and by extension, Odyssey) is required.

Where it is specific that only PC players will be able to access this content, provided they are using the V4.0 client.

Granted, they may have made an error and forgotten to mention that they are only referring to the PC using players, but I'd have hoped, at this juncture, that clarification would have been given, to prevent further resentment.

This is not what needs to be read again. It's the post from months back where it clearly states no more updates for consoles.

This announcement and updates literally do not mention console but does specifically mention PC. Nowhere does U13 mention all platforms is all I'm saying.

I'm aware of Obsidianants video where he reached out and got a response. Thing is...he's been given inaccurate information before and so until I see something official I don't think they are changing directions on no more console updates.

I believe what they meant was the news or maybe a community goal event may touch consoles but unless they specifically update the console servers, even if they update Horizons, consoles won't get it which seemingly is why they further mention moving PC to a new launcher

Remember console is getting a chance to copy our progress and stuff to PC in 60 days or so

Last edited:
I have a question about this narrative conclusion. Is this something that is happening live after patch 13? As in, do you have to be in game at a specific time to see some live event or you miss it forever? Or is this something that everyone can experience for themselves as long as they log in at some point after patch 13?
FDEV are urging people to make their way to HIP 22460, so it's reasonably safe to assume that something will happen ingame. What it'll be and if it'll be a live realtime event or something individual players can experience in their own time, no one knows. I'm likely to miss it anyway, Tuesday is a workday for me and probably many others. And I won't take a day off just to see what FDEV have cooked up.

Ouch. You had to remind everyone, didn't you. :D

With that uncomfortable reminder in mind, I am allowing myself to be optimistic on this. Between the hype campaign - and I have to tip my hat to the FDev social media team who have been doing a great job here - and the codebase merger, it seems like FDev wants U13 to be a fresh start for EDO. I wish them Godspeed. EDO has a ton of potential for gameplay. Heck, even in its rough-around-the-edges current form, it has a lot to offer. It deserves a second look by those who dismissed it because of the launch debacle.

Here's hoping that U13 finally kicks off that longed for "New Era." Maybe we can even get the SagEye presses rolling again! 🤞
Now that we know that the Narrative beginning in update 14 will unleash the full power of version 4.0 (a base version that can be considered to have been delayed by 18 months) I'm slightly confused now as to the significance put on update 13. Surely the previous hints at "doing something never done before in the game" now ties in with the new functionality being rolled out for update 14 and the narrative going into 2023 (or maybe such a live real time story event as this weapon switch on hasn't been done before)?

Either way it sounds like U14 is the true start to the new era and the Azimuth saga was awkwardly spread beyond its anticipated finale back in 2021? They did say the narrative was going to be 2 years long and it started in October 2020 so pretty much bang on there (or though they still had room to move story elements out and rearrange it I guess).

Last edited:
FDEV are urging people to make their way to HIP 22460, so it's reasonably safe to assume that something will happen ingame. What it'll be and if it'll be a live realtime event or something individual players can experience in their own time, no one knows. I'm likely to miss it anyway, Tuesday is a workday for me and probably many others. And I won't take a day off just to see what FDEV have cooked up.
Probably wise.
Big events aren't really a one day thing, historically..
If it is a big event...

Now that we know that the Narrative beginning in update 14 will unleash the full power of version 4.0 (a base version that can be considered to have been delayed by 18 months) I'm slightly confused now as to the significance put on update 13. Surely the previous hints at "doing something never done before in the game" now ties in with the new functionality being rolled out for update 14 and the narrative going into 2023 (or maybe such a live real time story event as this weapon switch on hasn't been done before)?

Either way it sounds like U14 is the true start to the new era and the Azimuth saga was awkwardly spread beyond its anticipated finale back in 2021?
I'd just wait for FD to confirm such things...
13 first, see where we go from there.

I would be surprised if the “big event” is on Tuesday, it would be tantamount to releasing new software on Friday night at 6pm before all the devs pack up and go home for the weekend…. Not the best release strategy.

I would guess, release the patch, let it settle - apply the fix - then set a date mid to late August to wrap this all up.

Alternatively some sort of cut scene video built into the release showing the bubble exploding and wiping out half of humanity and it’s back to the Stone Age (well at least for Oddy players)

Can’t wait

Question: How did you run ED and EDH as 4.0? I was under the impression that 4.0 is Odyssey only, and that those other 'modes' were literally the 3.8 Horizons codebase?
4.0 is likely based on a fork of 3.8 with a major update of the planetary rendering engine, as well the addition of on-foot game play. The new on-foot game play in EDO is separated from the older EDH game play at two 'choke points' - the disembark option in ships and SRV's and the on-foot materials inventory screen. Disable or 'hide' those for EDH-only game owners and in effect you have an EDH client running on 4.0. And that is how you run ED and EDH as 4.0.

Additional content that has been subsequently added to 4.0 - specifically the Scorpion and the multi-purpose limpets - could also be disabled/hidden, but whether as a sign of good faith and/or because it's too much trouble to do this, means that these will now also be available for EDH players. 3.8 will likely be phased out over the next few months, so if you enjoy canyon racing, best get that all out of your system now, unless you're a console player.

Last edited:
Big events aren't really a one day thing, historically..
If it is a big event...
We've no idea what it's going to be. There's plenty of speculation that it'll involve the introduction of new content, such as Thargoid mother ships or on-foot Thargoid combat. Certainly the empty Thargoid mission categories do indicate that FDev was likely planning something like that. It could also mean a cataclysmic event, which could see much of the bubble 'destroyed', this is not an uncommon direction for franchises to take when they feel they need to reinvigorate things. But ultimately we won't know until it happens.

We've no idea what it's going to be. There's plenty of speculation that it'll involve the introduction of new content, such as Thargoid mother ships or on-foot Thargoid combat. Certainly the empty Thargoid mission categories do indicate that FDev was likely planning something like that. It could also mean a cataclysmic event, which could see much of the bubble 'destroyed', this is not an uncommon direction for franchises to take when they feel they need to reinvigorate things. But ultimately we won't know until it happens.
Why we wait...

Top Bottom