4.0 | Now Live

If you have multiple accounts (Odyssey and Horizons-only) running from the same install using different launchers... what happens? Will your Odyssey launcher see Horizons 4.0? (maybe not, as obviously your Horizons launcher can't see Odyssey).

I'm unable to test that, as I am rapidly running out of disk space now.
Not sure this was answered explicitly yet, but if you have one install with Odyssey, logging out of that launcher and into an account that doesn't own Odyssey will have Horizons 4.0 as an option already installed. It literally uses the same Odyssey client, with a few flags to stop you seeing on-foot content.

Not sure this was answered explicitly yet, but if you have one install with Odyssey, logging out of that launcher and into an account that doesn't own Odyssey will have Horizons 4.0 as an option already installed. It literally uses the same Odyssey client, with a few flags to stop you seeing on-foot content.
I thought I was being nice and upgraded to Odyssey on both my accounts (even though I haven't played much Odyssey content since).

Now I have no idea how to play with my wing mates who do not own Odyssey while they try the Horizon (4.0) codebase, since the FAQ says instancing will not be allowed between Odyssey and Horizons(4.0). Seems we will be forced to either use 3.8 or maybe I will just be left out when they decide to play together in the 4.0 version.

Oh and I did Purchase Horizons way before Odyssey was a thing on both accounts... so technically I did pay for Horizons...... then paid for Odyssey..

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? because that would mean everyone who is saying you didn't pay for Horizons 4.0 when you bought Odyssey would be wrong.
Yes ... I have multiple standalone accounts only one of which has Odyssey and i can log out of the FDev launcher from the Odyssey account, then log in with a Horizons account, and launch right into EDH 4.0

Its very likely to be just flags to stop on-foot in horizon ... frankly, thats not unusual for DLCs.
(the code is often in the main code base of DLC, and the DLC just unlocks it)

this is why its surprising Horizon 4 and Odyssey are not in the same instance.

I suspect there is some issue with that...
perhaps they didn't want horizon players entering (odyssey) conflict zones and shooting from ship/svr...
(though I can't really see issue there, since if this is possible, then its also possible in odyssey)

it be nice if frontier articulate the reason... just so we understood...
since as players, it 'appears' (but likely isn't the case) , you'd just have to stop horizon players from exiting ship and svr,
as this would stop them getting missions too (since they cannot reach terminal)

hard to say.. Id assume mid-term the plan would be to make odyssey part of main game (as they did with horizon) , and then ditch 3.8.
so , perhaps they don't want to expend too much dev effort on this intermediate state.

some odd decisions from player viewpoint...

but indeed the more you look at what's going on and has been said, it makes a bit more sense from the devs view... which seems to be, horizon 4 is just to get everyone on 4.0 client base, and hope that seeing it works ... and then paying the extra $20 (or whatever) to upgrade to Odyssey. once the 'majority' are over, then axe 3.8, so they can move forward.
(and of course, the story line being on exclusively on 4.0 is also the added incentive to get players to move)

tough calls, for all... but I think as players we all know the future is odyssey... and give the frequent sale price, its not much really.

sure, they can never hope to please everyone, and many have very valid concerns.
but from a dev viewpoint, you have to move forward, and concentrate efforts improving the current 'platform'.
(the consoles being dropped, is another indication this is the current thinking /plan)

anyway... I look forward to what frontier have in store next on the current storyline :)

Last edited:
... and now Frontier mirrors the steam sale...

Nice move!

Yes ... I have multiple standalone accounts only one of which has Odyssey and i can log out of the FDev launcher from the Odyssey account, then log in with a Horizons account, and launch right into EDH 4.0
And what do you have installed on the harddisk and how many gigabytes?

Yep, it certainly looks like Horizons 4.0 IS Odyssey.

Which explains the unannounced patch to Odyssey: it's probably the switches going in, to block on-foot content if you're logging in with an account that doesn't have Odyssey permissions (and I'm guessing they missed one, hence the patch: perhaps non-Odyssey players briefly had access to something they shouldn't have done).

I'll do some more testing, but thanks Frontier! This is rather handy for those of us with multiple accounts and low disk space. If everything works as expected, I will delete my alt's "Horizons 4.0" download and give her a new launcher instead.

The base game. It's just that making an additional purchase on top of that locks you out of it, which is an odd move.
No, but someone needs to point me to where buying an fdev product included the promise of Horizons 4.0.

People who bought Odyssey were buying ... Odyssey. They weren't buying Horizons 4.0, it didn't exist as a thing before very recently, or am I missing something?

Top Bottom