4.0 | Now Live

I am the guy paying for the free updates, so I hope you do understand that I don't have much sympathy for freeloaders.
Excuse me, but I paid for those updates, too, so if there's a "courtesy gift" in the form of Horizons 4.0, I feel entitled to receive it, since I'm among those who made it possible.

If you don't want to play with Horizons folks because you think they're freeloaders, that's fine, just stay in Odyssey. But if EDH 4.0 is a version of EDO without all the stuff that's killing performance (such as NPCs in settlements), I want the option to play it. Especially since it's already occupying 50 GB on my hard drive anyway, and the only thing missing is a launcher entry.

Excuse me, but I paid for those updates, too, so if there's a "courtesy gift" in the form of Horizons 4.0, I feel entitled to receive it, since I'm among those who made it possible.

If you don't want to play with Horizons folks because you think they're freeloaders, that's fine, just stay in Odyssey. But if EDH 4.0 is a version of EDO without all the stuff that's killing performance (such as NPCs in settlements), I want the option to play it. Especially since it's already occupying 50 GB on my hard drive anyway, and the only thing missing is a launcher entry.
I have absolutely no problem with Odyssey players asksing for Horizons 4.0 access. It's just not something you can reasonably be 'angry' about.

By the way, if your problem is settlements, you can ignore them playing in Odyssey just fine. There wouldn't be a difference between between Odyssey 4.0 and Horizons 4.0 as long as you don't go there which is something you wouldn't do in Horizons 4.0 anyway...

If you get 60fps+ while navigating a settlement, then you would still get playable rates with npc on.
No. Even disembarking induces a frame rate change, and we know for a fact that EDO performance is all over the place even on similar PCs. The whole tech demo argument is nonsense.

Seems some valid arguments from both sides in this thread. It must be very tricky for Frontier to decide how to move forward with the game, in the best way for everyone and as such compromises have to be made somewhere.

Should they have ONLY kept 3.8 going for everyone and developed on foot in that engine?

Or should they immediately stop all versions of Horizons and just move forward with Odyssey?

My view is that it's not a polar decision and what we currently have reflects this situation, despite the (very frustrating for some) drawbacks.

There seems to be some confusion regarding how big this is.

Looks like Horizons 4.0 is at least 38gb. I don't know exactly, because my download fell over and I'm redoing it. And it's a separate install to Horizons 3.8 (which is 20gb).

Don't worry guys, after the console launch all odyssey players will be able to play with horizons players:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/horizons-odyssey-compatibility-further-details.575005/

Screenshot from 2022-09-16 10-59-11.png

By the way, if your problem is settlements, you can ignore them playing in Odyssey just fine. There wouldn't be a difference between between Odyssey 4.0 and Horizons 4.0 as long as you don't go there which is something you wouldn't do in Horizons 4.0 anyway...
Please don't tell me how to play the game. Even if you don't do surface missions, settlements are still useful for repairs, trading, ship missions, and all the other things accessible from the services panel.

Later than that - I logged on today with 4.0.0.1450 just fine, just exited five minutes ago (no downtime notices) and then the launcher mentions the upgrade.
I think I was in game when patch went live. I was in concourse and everything became non responsive. I had to kill the game in task manager as I wasn't able to even bring up menu.
Annoying way to patch the game.

it's your job to pay for the ongoing development of the game
Unless you got in with the Epic Games sale, you already had to pay for the game. There isn't a subscription, nor the kinds of features that would typically justify a subscription. I bought the base game, Horizons, and several cosmetics. Why am I now a freeloader for not buying access to a part of the game that doesn't interest me? Elite turns a profit and will continue to do so, funding development with the strategy of enticing new players to buy the game. Existing players have whatever neglible server costs they incur paid for many times over already, even discounting the ARX sales. How much money over the base game purchase do I need to give to Frontier for continued development, and why is that cost not already in the base game purchase?

if this is a troll you got me

It's not that tricky, they just have to decide if Horizon 4.0 is a tech demo/trial or a giveaway. If it's a Demo or Trial, then it should be time limited. If it's a giveaway, then make it available to everyone. Simples.
This is one I'm struggling a bit with, do Od owners really want Horizons 4? I guess it's simple enough for Frontier to enable this in future if people really did want it. We did a few extra Horizons accounts when Epic were doing it for free a while ago so guess we could test it if I felt the need to...

Unless you got in with the Epic Games sale, you already had to pay for the game. There isn't a subscription, nor the kinds of features that would typically justify a subscription. I bought the base game, Horizons, and several cosmetics. Why am I now a freeloader for not buying access to a part of the game that doesn't interest me? Elite turns a profit and will continue to do so, funding development with the strategy of enticing new players to buy the game. Existing players have whatever neglible server costs they incur paid for many times over already, even discounting the ARX sales. How much money over the base game purchase do I need to give to Frontier for continued development, and why is that cost not already in the base game purchase?

if this is a troll you got me
What?!

AFAIK you can continue to play 3.8 and Horizons 4.0. Where exactly lies your problem?

If you care about open mode multiplayer you should probably encourage people to buy Odyssey.
Obviously ideally all players would be in the same edition of the game, yes (although it wasn't me that split and continues to further split instancing), and Odyssey represents the edition of the game that has a definitive future. But as regards my ability to recommend the expansion without a list of caveats that would render the exercise pointless, the ball remains firmly in FD's court (I'm not "black knighting", and I like the game, but it's just how it is). In practice it seems most efficient to simply let people osmose to the conculsion about Ody themselves. Even purely from a multiplayer perspective, a clear recommendation of the game would reflect the developer's attitude to multiplayer instancing, which I think may fundamentally be the concern for many people here.

If you have multiple accounts (Odyssey and Horizons-only) running from the same install using different launchers... what happens? Will your Odyssey launcher see Horizons 4.0? (maybe not, as obviously your Horizons launcher can't see Odyssey).

I'm unable to test that, as I am rapidly running out of disk space now.

There seems to be some confusion regarding how big this is.

Looks like Horizons 4.0 is at least 38gb. I don't know exactly, because my download fell over and I'm redoing it. And it's a separate install to Horizons 3.8 (which is 20gb).
H4.0 is in all capacity the Odyssey client, which have a separate folder. I have odissey and a secondary account without odissey, an that one doesn't have to download anything else.
It's just limited to horizons features (which makes even more confusing to not being able to access it for an Odissey owner. Unless they are planning to instance them together sometime in the future, but that would be wierd communication then )

Last edited:
So the assets exist but the NPCs do not, which means my point is still valid: you can't predict EDO performance by looking at EDH 4.0, because EDH 4.0 doesn't give you the full experience. No NPCs means no CPU cycles spent on pathfinding, no fires in buildings, etc.
Such confidence and certainty without evidence.

In practice, BrotherSabathius stream yesterday appeared to show his 4.0 game running in settlements pretty much the same as EDO. ie slow in some more complex settlements, fast in others, situation normal really.

It's not going to be the same obviously but it's a good indication.

This is one I'm struggling a bit with, do Od owners really want Horizons 4?
Yes, as an Ody owner and a squadron leader i want the ability to join and help everyone in the squadron not just those that bought Odyssey. As it stands if new content is added and the Thargoid story line is progressed, i can't go and help those squadron members that don't own Odyssey. It might be a simple fix by frontier and there might be quite valid reasons why we can't have access to both 4.0 versions but the lack of information regarding this is just fuelling more anger/confusion to this decision.

H4.0 is in all capacity the Odyssey client, which have a separate folder. I have odissey and a secondary account without odissey, an that one doesn't have to download anything else.
It's just limited to horizons features (which makes even more confusing to not being able to access it for an Odissey owner)

Ah, interesting.

My 3 accounts have separate installs, so that I can run them simultaneously in multicrew (can't do that from multiple launchers in the same folder). But if this caps out at Odyssey's 50gb, then that's 100gb for the 2 alts.

However, if I put launchers for the alts in the main account's folder, presumably I could run Horizons 4.0 with either of them (but not simultaneously). And use Horizons 3.8 if I want to multicrew.

Top Bottom