4.0 | Now Live

And no NPC is due PEGI7 rating.
Also, another correction: PEGI 7 forbids having violence between characters, but doesn't forbid having NPCs just walking around.

All this story about PEGI is a complete misunderstanding.
PEGI 7 forbids non-odyssey players to join ground battles in Odyssey...but doesn't forbid Odyssey owners to get back into 4.0-Horizons, which has a lower rating.
PEGI is a problem when going upwards, not downwards.

I think a lot of this angst could have been avoided if Frontier had called it "Odyssey Lite" rather than "Horizons 4.0".

Because that's what it is. But Odyssey Lite players can't instance with Horizons or Odyssey players, only other Odyssey Lite players.

1: It's less that you don't need that courtesy gift and more You can't instance with folk in that courtesy gift if you don't log into said courtesy gift: EDO Cannot instance with EDH 4.0, even in space where everything else would be the same.

2: The rating matters very little still: ESRB still has it at T, and a good portion of the playerbase has played the earlier games, earliest there being from 1995. Few teenagers have the patience to tackle the learning cliff of this game, and those that do wouldn't be bothered by whatever is in it.

In UK you cannot sell (presumably you cannot gift either) PEGI16 stuff to 7-8 years old kids. And this is enforced by law.

So all this instancing thing between horizons and odyssey will be impossible for as long Horizons will have a different pegi rating than Odyssey 🤷‍♂️
(getting a pegi rating of 7 for Elite/Horizons was a bad idea - imo, launching Odyssey as an Elite expansion instead of it being a standalone game happening in the same galaxy, is another bad idea - imo)

It feels like a lot of this thread's chaos is owing to confusion about what each client codebase actually represents, the nature of the instancing, and perhaps missed messaging between Fdev and player expectations revolving around being able to instance together.

Also, that this is a 2gb update that doesn't seem to come with any patch notes beyond the explanation of the different codebases existing and the impact upon instancing - that's confusing as well.

I think a lot of this angst could have been avoided if Frontier had called it "Odyssey Lite" rather than "Horizons 4.0".

Because that's what it is. But Odyssey Lite players can't instance with Horizons or Odyssey players, only other Odyssey Lite players.
That's what I've suggested directly to Bruce. The name of the package "4.0-Horizons" is very misleading.

The point everyone is making is this:
you bought Horizons 3.8. Not Horizons 4.0. (4.0 was a curtesy gift)
I went back and checked the version i bought because im a pedantic TWIT with an A sometimes, I bought Horizons at 3.2 ;) So I was given all the updates to 3.8 but they wont give me 4.0 LOL
In reality, I dont give two hoots, I play Od and only go back to H3.8 for a few bug issues, personally I think there are legitimate\fair reasons why Od owners should be able to instance with H4, but it is what it is!

Well, you are lucky that you have no Horizons pals or you'd be leaving them behind. Or banishing all of you back to 3.8 to play together 🤢

3.8 is just fine - you do know that i still find it more atmospheric than the harsher gfx of Odyssey
And i dont play with freeloading plebs 😂 ( <<< if it wasnt obvious, that was a joke)

Since people are a bit confused about which version of the game corresponds to which set of files, here's a quick breakdown.
In the Elite Dangerous\Products directory, there are two subdirectories:
  • elite-dangerous-64 (around 19.8GB, these are the files for 3.8)
  • elite-dangerous-odyssey-64 (around 50GB, these are the files for 4.0)

This is what gets executed for the various options in the launcher:
  • Elite Dangerous (the base game with no expansions) : elite-dangerous-64/EliteDangerous64.exe with the "SeasonOne" argument
  • Arena: elite-dangerous-64/EliteDangerous64.exe with the "CQCArena" argument
  • Horizons 3.8: elite-dangerous-64/EliteDangerous64.exe with no arguments
  • Horizons 4.0: elite-dangerous-odyssey-64/EliteDangerous64.exe with the "SeasonTwo" argument
  • Odyssey: elite-dangerous-odyssey-64/EliteDangerous64.exe with no arguments

So having both Horizons 4.0 and Odyssey available would not add any extra files to the installation, they're all there already.
So all FDEV would have had to do to prevent most of the storm would have been adding that elite-dangerous-odyssey-64/EliteDangerous64.exe with the "SeasonTwo" argument to the Odyssey launcher.

The idea of PEGI ratings was good at conception. But how many 10yr olds do you know that play Call of Duty, Battlefield and any other 16+ rated games?
Then it can go to the other extreme like with MSFS, that has an E rating. If you as much as mention the word "Combat" even in their forums you are penalised and account suspended for 48hrs

Now if you were to plough your SRV into those walking NPCs...

or with the ship.... i love to fly my Cobra in a bunch of npc that are being dropped from a dropship :D

I went back and checked the version i bought because im a pedantic TWIT with an A sometimes, I bought Horizons at 3.2 ;) So I was given all the updates to 3.8 but they wont give me 4.0 LOL
In reality, I dont give two hoots, I play Od and only go back to H3.8 for a few bug issues, personally I think there are legitimate\fair reasons why Od owners should be able to instance with H4, but it is what it is!

And i bought Esx 6.0... And those VMWare dudes refuse to upgrade me to 7.0... they say i should buy it... :cautious:

Imagine fdev had not created 4.0 horizons.

The result would be the same - buy odyssey to play the full version of the game.
Yeah, but what they've done now - in stopping EDO players going back to the current (4.0) version of Horizons is similar to if they had not done a 4.0 Horizons then removed all horizons from Odyssey players and said 'you'll need to go back to the base game to play together'. It's just a bit sucky for no good reason - especially as Odyssey players already have the code installed to run Horizons4.0 🤷‍♂️

The point everyone is making is this:
you bought Horizons 3.8. Not Horizons 4.0. (4.0 was a curtesy gift)
when you buy Odyssey, you lose Horizons 4.0 (no need for a courtesy gift when you have the real deal)

That's how i'm seeing it
You are lucky one understanding what FDev is saying from the first time. It seems like many others (including me) read FDev announcements a little bit differently. I personally didn't want to run Horizons 4.0, but why did I have to download Odyssey update 2.5Gb? Ok, I see I had to do it so others can run Horizons 4.0.

I can imagine someone from Fuel Rats or Powerplay communities who will need to help others, but cannot due to inability to start Horizons 4.0 to instance together - now they need to tell that other one to start Horizons 3.8 or buy Odyssey - was that FDev strategy to improve cash flow?

And i bought Esx 6.0... And those VMWare dudes refuse to upgrade me to 7.0... they say i should buy it... :cautious:
Sorry, this has gone completely over my head, where does it fit into the Odyssey\Horizons discussion, you told me I paid for 3.8, I corrected that for you because I can be a little pedantic, some "other" software is not relevant at all!
I dont get it!

BTW, I'm pretty sure Frontier will never remove Horizons 3.8.

They've never removed the pre-Horizons basegame, and they have to keep catering for players whose hardware can't support Odyssey adequately: whether that be console players, or those with low-spec PC's.

Because those players actually DID buy a specific product, and should continue to be able to use the product they bought.

Top Bottom