4.0 | Now Live

Do you own Odyssey?

Yes I do ...

You and the others arguing against this request for EDO owners to be able to launch EDH4.0, need to sit back and think about why we are asking to be able to play in multiplayer with our friends that want to use EDH4.0. If you (collective you) cannot comprehend this then maybe you should just stop either trolling or embarrassing yourselves. Sorry, but there it is.

Yes I do ...

You and the others arguing against this request for EDO owners to be able to launch EDH4.0, need to sit back and think about why we are asking to be able to play in multiplayer with our friends that want to use EDH4.0. If you (collective you) cannot comprehend this then maybe you should just stop either trolling or embarrassing yourselves. Sorry, but there it is.
I am not arguing against the request, I am arguing against the entitled and aggressive behaviour that comes with it.

Personally I would prefer if instancing would work between Horizons 4.0 and Odyssey.

If that doesn't work everyone can meet in 3.8.

I am not even against making Horizons 4.0 optional for Odyssey owners. It's just that Horizons 4.0 players could just as well buy the expansion and pay for the development of the game they want to play. And everyone who doesn't understand that is 'either trolling or embarrassing themselves' as you put it.

You know what the answer to all of this is?
Odyssey 3.8! That'd be everything you get in Odyssey, but have the planets etc from Horizons, even if it is a bit broken! SRV will fall through near a ground installations? Who cares, as long as I can go hooning. Maybe it'd even run on consoles.

And why this is an issue?

Because it further segments the player base, for no reason. There are now three mutually exclusive client connection types, and Odyssey accounts, who presumably have license to everything, are arbitrarily and categorically excluded from one of them.

I should be able to instance with non-Odyssey players via Horizons 4.0, rather than all involved being required to install a whole other client that may otherwise no longer be needed.

Last edited:
tenor-5.gif

Can any of you guys who are pre-Horizons answer whether people who upgraded to Horizons were able to be in the same instance with people who did not update to Horizons? Sure, pre-Horizons couldn't land on planets, but could they wing up and go to a Hazrez site together? Whatever the answer to that is, should be the answer for now as it was the precedent that was set. That was before my time in ED, so I really have no idea.

Can any of you guys who are pre-Horizons answer whether people who upgraded to Horizons were able to be in the same instance with people who did not update to Horizons? Sure, pre-Horizons couldn't land on planets, but could they wing up and go to a Hazrez site together? Whatever the answer to that is, should be the answer for now as it was the precedent that was set. That was before my time in ED, so I really have no idea.
There were no age rating issues between Horizons and the base game. Technically I'm sure it's perfectly possible to have EDH 4.0 and Odyssey players in the same instance otherwise.

Actually most users here who have EDO are asking why they don't have EDH4, not why they can't cross instance from EDO. You have interpreted that as FD giving up on EDH/EDO instancing. Their current stance, not the ones you keep quoting from May 2021, is that they have nothing more to say on cross instancing at this time. This could mean anything. Fire up your guns when they categorically say they have abandoned it.
To be honest, much as I get an urge to white knight when I see the whining on the forum, they have (even if not outright) said to forget it and that it's not up for discussion! So at this moment I'd just accept that and move on.. Still there is precedence that if the wheel squeaks enough it does get some oil, so... :D

Last edited:
Because it further segments the player base, for no reason. There are now three mutually exclusive client connection types, and Odyssey accounts, who presumably have license to everything, are arbitrarily and categorically excluded from one of them.

I should be able to instance with non-Odyssey players via Horizons 4.0, rather than all involved being required to install a whole other client that may otherwise no longer be needed.
This !👆

There were no age rating issues between Horizons and the base game. Technically I'm sure it's perfectly possible to have EDH 4.0 and Odyssey players in the same instance otherwise.
That seems very likely, as far as I can ascertain from the forums it's exactly the same code just a different command line to disable on foot content for Horizons 4.0 in the Odyssey client code.

Because it further segments the player base, for no reason.

I'm pretty sure they do have reasons. Be it technical, legal, marketing or a combination of reasons that we may be able to guess or not.
Else they'd saved themselves from the hassle of dealing with this mess.

I mean, the simpler solution would have been to simply allow Odyssey people to launch Horizons 4.0, and since they didn't i'm assuming they do have reasons for it

Anyway, In other news i took advantage of the current discount on Frontier Store to get Odyssey for my newly migrated XB account.
Which account yesterday night was basking in Horizons 4.0

So i went to the Frontier store, i purchased Odyssey. Then i glanced a bit at the DLC store
Then, like 10 minutes later, i fired up my Frontier Launcher... and it appeared like this 👇 (no downloads, no upgrade, nothing - and where last night appeared Horizons 4.0, now is Odyssey) 🤷‍♂️

1663348675640.png

I'm pretty sure they do have reasons. Be it technical, legal, marketing or a combination of reasons that we may be able to guess or not.

The only reason I can concieve of is that they haven't yet bothered to patch the launcher to offer more product slots. There are no legal or other technical barriers to offering Horizons 4.0 to Odyssey accounts.

(no downloads, no upgrade, nothing - and where last night appeared Horizons 4.0, now is Odyssey)

That's because Horizons 4.0 and Odyssey are exactly the same client software.

I mean, the simpler solution would have been to simply allow Odyssey people to launch Horizons 4.0, and since they didn't i'm assuming they do have reasons for it

Anyway, In other news i took advantage of the current discount on Frontier Store to get Odyssey for my newly migrated XB account.
Which account yesterday night was basking in Horizons 4.0

So i went to the Frontier store, i purchased Odyssey. Then i glanced a bit at the DLC store
Then, like 10 minutes later, i fired up my Frontier Launcher... and it appeared like this 👇 (no downloads, no upgrade, nothing - and where last night appeared Horizons 4.0, now is Odyssey) 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 322559
Looks like it's set a permissions lock in that case. So if Horizons 4.0 is just Odyssey without a certain unlock code, I get the difficulty having Odyssey and Horizons 4.0 together if effectively they're one and the same.

There are no age\rating\pegi issues regarding EDO clients being able to instance with H4, EDO is 16 EDH is 7, therefore EDO is going to the lower rating, a none issue, not the other way around.

Anyone else getting a near constant ker-ching sound in H4?

I'm used to it happening once around landing but it's ongoing in H4.

With the new Elite launcher, I am now getting a constant whining sound from my speakers in both Horizons 4.0 and 3.8. Granted my audio setup on this PC is subpar (1/8" line out to XLR cable splitter to monitor speakers), so there's always some noise, but nothing like this before. Mysterious.

No, I think you are missing the point!
EDH4 cannot do this, EDO players want to be able to run and instance with these players in EDH4, running the EDH4 client not Odd.
Yes, because on foot stuff seems to be permission locked by code you get when you purchase Odyssey. Same as with horizons where you couldn't land on planets if you only had the base game. It's all the same client, separated by instancing rules.

Top Bottom