4.0 | Now Live

Damn Obsidian Ant for making free videos, gosh darn it!

#GodwinsLawForElite

Are they free? 😒

Maybe you want to see Elite as free as those YT movies, and by that i mean getting your gaming session interrupted by commercials every 5-10 minutes?
Adware doesnt mean free

My thoughts on EDH 4.0 real quick as this is already a big post:
  1. New gal map and sys map: I do not really like them overall, but I do like the search top middle, and the click and hold to plot a course to
  2. Outfitting: seems overly clicky, but the organization is better
  3. Skybox: nope do not like, too dark when it should not be. Colors are way off
  4. Planet rendering: Only have visited Jamesons crash site (as I am out of a couple G5 mats) so while there I swapped back and forth between 3.8 and 4.0 EDH. I like 3.8 better, colors are better, terrain is better, skybox is better. Even though I can tell the textures are more detailed in 4.0, the overall look and feel of both the ground assets and skybox is worse in 4.0 to me
  5. Overall: I want to keep trying it out now and then but mixed reviews from me so far
1. The new galmap and sys map UI are much better once you get used to them. There is a transition period which is painful but once your through its fine. Still are still issues with the route plotting and loading speed on the system map which can be a pain though.
2. Again, Outfitting takes a while to get your head round but they've fixed most of the issues people have had (be thankful you weren't here when Odyssey was launched!).
3. This is pretty subjective, I actually prefer the darker skybox.
4. Planet Rendering (This is the Biggy for most people). Again this is subjective, I will say 3.8 has the more interesting outliers (i.e. planets with extremely deep canyons or high mountains) and they really need to look at the anti-alising but I've found I prefer the 4.0 planetary tech (prepares to duck and cover) because, on-average, the planetary surfaces are more interesting.
5. Keep trying, It takes a while to get used to the new UI

as an Odyssey owner, when this all started earlier this week, I was very much ... "Why don't we have EDH 4.0?... this is a bad move for instancing"
(this my sole concern... that EDH owners would be encouraged to move to 4.0, and having a common (modern) instance with EDO owners was the main issue)
but honestly, after reading this topic more... Ive kinda of changed my opinion (perhaps more inline with FDev?)

I think EDO should become its OWN product, with its own PEGI rating, it own hardware requirements.
EDH 4.0, should be a (free?) demo version of Odyssey with limitations - kind of "Odyssey Lite"
(and the limitations, could be chosen as Frontier see fit... as it has a new PEGI rating, you dont have the NPC rating issue)

EDH 3.8 should be considered the legacy product, and remain running for as long as viable, it should not be sold/included as part of odyssey (incl demo).
this is quite close to how frontier appear to be positioning Odyssey & EDH, except it should be a separate install/product.
so rather than the (fake) idea that Odyssey is a DLC, its not , we can see with planetary tech etc, its a new product at its core (4.0)

why? because, like it or not... ED 4.0 is the current development platform, and for the future success/viability of ED, Frontier need to be allowed to focus on it.
we can see with the stopping of console development, that frontier are trying to focus (limited?) resources on current development.
this is not going to be popular with everyone... but if ED is going to survive.. frankly this is the only way.
sure, even that may not work, but there is no other choice.

that focus, can help with code optimisations, but also make more of what is new in Odyssey, for sure, on-foot may not be everyones cup of tea... but it may help bring in new players as it could potentially bring in more mission types.. e.g. it be nice that missions were not either Odyssey OR 'horizon', but could be a mixture. this is only possibly if you 'accept' Odyssey is not an optional add-on.

Of course, I don't think its that easy for Frontier... Im sure Odyssey is a DLC rather than a separate product for a commercial reason, could be licensing/marketing or other (boring) commercial realities - which could be why we have this kind of 'half way house' situation... where Odsessy is still a DLC/add-on, and EDH4.0 is 'demo'... etc.
In which case I do have sympathy for Frontier's difficult position.
... and perhaps this has to be the more 'mid term' solution.

Last edited:
hey hey, so after updating the game from steam laucher, i'm not able to play, after two day of trying, i'm still not connected to the server, did someone know what is wrong?

Attachments

• Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) 18_09_2022 14_29_46.png
    Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) 18_09_2022 14_29_46.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
hey hey, so after updating the game from steam laucher, i'm not able to play, after two day of trying, i'm still not connected to the server, did someone know what is wrong?
Good Morning.
Well, for some dull reason I installed steam yesterday and linked my account to it to buy odyssey and I have the same issue as you. The game runs slower on steam for a FEW SECONDS and then it's a mauve adder error code. And when I close steam down completely then the Frontier launcher wants to update the 4.0 version. I must admit I'm not very familiar with steam and linking accounts, I'm way too old to be bothered by it but something doesn't work correctly.

Good Morning.
Well, for some dull reason I installed steam yesterday and linked my account to it to buy odyssey and I have the same issue as you. The game runs slower on steam for a FEW SECONDS and then it's a mauve adder error code. And when I close steam down completely then the Frontier launcher wants to update the 4.0 version. I must admit I'm not very familiar with steam and linking accounts, I'm way too old to be bothered by it but something doesn't work correctly.
i can understand, but i don't know why it stop working, i was able to play before this update and know i can't, i don't have any crash error.

well i found the problem, it was Hamachi, it make something like a private network or a lan connexion i check the network setting on Elite and it was not on Ethernet

I also have a question, I wanted to try the new HUD colors out but why don't I have a Frontier folder on my pc with the config file in it? Is it because it was a console to pc transfer?

Wasn't there a Mortal Kombat type game which cascaded eggs or chickens or points or something, instead of blood when landing a hit?
One of the early Call Of Duty (Modern Warfare 2 IIRC) games would spit out bags of money or dollar signs or something instead of blood when you killed an opponent in multiplayer. I don't like hyper-realistic gore games, so I actually preferred this "family friendly" version of Call Of Duty. What I don't remember is if this was a setting that could be turned on or off.. In many earlier games, blood was optional.

All that said, does Odyssey even have blood? I don't remember seeing that in any video I've watched. It's also strange how I can send a cruise ship full of happy wedding guests to a terrible death of fire, shrapnel, and the vacuum of space (which is clearly labeled as murder on the UI) and that's still considered child-friendly. Horizons is actually a pretty mature game if you think about it - I can be a drug dealer, a slave smuggler, a mass murderer, and I can feed living people to terrible monsters. Then there's the system chat... And when you compare Odyssey's FPS to many others, it's actually pretty tame. Many games would have limbs and heads flying in every direction if you hit them with dumbfire rockets, but AFAIK Odyssey just rag-dolls characters, no limbs, no blood, no bullet holes, etc.

I also have a question, I wanted to try the new HUD colors out but why don't I have a Frontier folder on my pc with the config file in it? Is it because it was a console to pc transfer?
idk, i always use the pc version, but i use EDHMUI to change the color

One of the early Call Of Duty (Modern Warfare 2 IIRC) games would spit out bags of money or dollar signs or something instead of blood when you killed an opponent in multiplayer. I don't like hyper-realistic gore games, so I actually preferred this "family friendly" version of Call Of Duty. What I don't remember is if this was a setting that could be turned on or off.. In many earlier games, blood was optional.

All that said, does Odyssey even have blood? I don't remember seeing that in any video I've watched. It's also strange how I can send a cruise ship full of happy wedding guests to a terrible death of fire, shrapnel, and the vacuum of space (which is clearly labeled as murder on the UI) and that's still considered child-friendly. Horizons is actually a pretty mature game if you think about it - I can be a drug dealer, a slave smuggler, a mass murderer, and I can feed living people to terrible monsters. Then there's the system chat... And when you compare Odyssey's FPS to many others, it's actually pretty tame. Many games would have limbs and heads flying in every direction if you hit them with dumbfire rockets, but AFAIK Odyssey just rag-dolls characters, no limbs, no blood, no bullet holes, etc.
The difference is you dont see any of the death or bodies or drugs or whatever in EDH, in EDO you do see the shooting and killing of people, this bit is the reason for the rating and is described as something that reflects real life, cant remember the exact wording (even tho I read it Thursday or Friday ;) ) Which the shooting or tasering of folks in settlements is doing apparently!
Lol, yeah but no blood!

The difference is you dont see any of the death or bodies or drugs or whatever in EDH, in EDO you do see the shooting and killing of people,
What if I go nose-to-nose with a newbie player in his Sidewinder? I can see him through the cockpit glass, right before I send him to a fiery death..

Not that I'm blaming Frontier for any of this rating confusion, except perhaps for not having the foresight to realize they would paint themselves into a corner picking PEGI-7 in the beginning. AFAIK a company can list at a higher rating than the current content, just not the other way around.

Top Bottom