4.0 | Now Live

Glad to hear your friends are taking advantage of 4.0 on Horizons! Just as before, if Odyssey and non-Odyssey players wish to play together, you'll have to do so in 3.8.

That is stupid. If the issues stopping EDO instancing with EDH are age-appropriate then why no give EDO players an EDH4.0 option in the launcher. This makes no sense as it stands, just sloppy "Heath-Robinson" approach especially considering that you are forcing EDH players to mover to 4.0 as there is no content development in 3.8. Colour me urine-hued.

Seems like the opposite of greed to me. Greed would be forcing everyone to buy Odyssey for any and all new content. Instead they give away a new version of Horizons that gets the same space-based content as Odyssey, while still providing Horizons Legacy for stubborn old ducks like myself. I'll grant you that the inability to instance between H4 and Odyssey in space is not great, but I think that has more to do with regulations (PEGI ratings) than greed.
It's not about Odyssey instances and Horizons 4.0 instances being merged and encountering PEGI concerns. It's literally if you own Odyssey then you do not have Horizons 4.0 available for launch, so all those people enjoying 4.0 you now have no way to instance with unless you use a Horizons-only alt account. Yes you can all go to Horizons 3.8, but how many will want to? And for random encounters 3.8 will be more deserted than ever. Horizons 4.0 players meanwhile will only be those whose system can support it, leaving the Horizons-only base split between 3.8 and 4.0 so neither is going to have a very healthy multiplayer population. Console influx notwithstanding. It's an annoying and arguably cynical decision, something like "pay to merge" (for both Horizons-only players and Odyssey owners too).

*Edit - oops, 3 pages of ninja'd :)

It's not about Odyssey instances and Horizons 4.0 instances being merged and encountering PEGI concerns. It's literally if you own Odyssey then you do not have Horizons 4.0 available for launch, so all those people enjoying 4.0 you now have no way to instance with unless you use a Horizons-only alt account. Yes you can all go to Horizons 3.8, but how many will want to? And for random encounters 3.8 will be more deserted than ever. Horizons 4.0 players meanwhile will only be those whose system can support it, leaving the Horizons-only base split between 3.8 and 4.0 so neither is going to have a very healthy multiplayer population. Console influx notwithstanding. It's an annoying and arguably cynical decision, something like "pay to merge" (for both Horizons-only players and Odyssey owners too).
That the point. Buy Ody or play old 3.8. Horizons 4.0 is sort of aggressive promotion of Ody.

So, all the free copies of Horizons 4.0 given to console players via the transfer process were actually stolen from Odyssey players, is that why we don't have access?

Seriously though, I would rather upgrade 3.8 to 4.0 and loose 3.8 completely (not for everyone) but the option would be nice
lmao good god are people just trolling here, nothing was stolen and really nothing is complicated to grasp, everyone had access to Horizons 3.8 and still have access to Horizons 3.8. Future Updates will only be added to Codebase 4.0 going forward, Horizons Codebase 4.0 is Odyssey with a feature toggle turning off access to some features.

The only question is around player instancing between Horizons Codebase 4.0 and Odyssey which we have known for at least the last couple of weeks that it would not be happening under current plans. Funny how the same faces that are always on the forum appear to not have noticed.

Sure make a comment that it would be a good feature to have but whats all this demanding and entitlement over free content? It is completely the prerogative of a business to react to changing market situations and entice potential customers to exchange cash for their products!

Bruce G

B
That is stupid. If the issues stopping EDO instancing with EDH are age-appropriate then why no give EDO players an EDH4.0 option in the launcher. This makes no sense as it stands, just sloppy "Heath-Robinson" approach. Colour me urine-hued.
This release is a courtesy and free upgrade for non-Odyssey owners. They now get to try the 4.0 codebase with all the perks that contains as well as engage with future content and narrative updates at no additional cost where this wasn't possible before. Of course, we still hope they will upgrade to Odyssey for the full experience the game has to offer.

I totally agree with the Odyssey players not being able to access Horizons 4 (in its own instance), being an issue, that'll fracture the player base.

Its a bit odd for frontier... their goal, should be to get everyone to move to the 4.0 client (odyssey and horizons)
but the current approach means, many will stay on 3.8 just for the multiplayer aspect.
If they want to 'sell' the 4.0 client, really they need to instance everyone together.

Id suspect the issue they have is simply Odyssey and Horizon (4.0) are the same product, basically Horizons just has parts disabled.
so it seems like the launcher or instancing is not able to distinguish ody4 and hor4... so can only present one.

yup, crazy... and as above, I think its going to have exactly the opposite effect of what frontier want to achieve...everyone moving to 4.0.

perhaps this is all just 'interim' and the goal is to make odyssey and horizon 4.0 instance together...
this would seem like the logical end game to consolidate players.
and, unfortunately, likely will signal the end of the 3.8 client... which I suspect has only survived due to Odyssey instancing.

as a software engineer, really I cannot see how/why frontier would have allowed themselves to get into this situation.
not only is it bad for their community/player base... but it creates more support and maintenance issues...
all software houses aim for common code bases... and if they split/fork, its usually a priority to bring them back together.

ho hum... I guess time will tell...

thats not what were talking about here , I can not play horizons 4.0 because I own odyssey why not ? because they want the people who own horizons to have to update to odyssey to play with friends in the new 4.0 engine .

It's literally if you own Odyssey then you do not have Horizons 4.0 available for launch, so all those people enjoying 4.0 you now have no way to instance with unless you use a Horizons-only alt account.

Originally I assumed Horizons 4.0 was just Odyssey Lite (Odyssey with certain parts of the game turned off), but I'm beginning to think it's a bit more complex than that. It could very well be that in order to have both Odyssey and Horizons 4.0 installed, you'd basically need to install the entire 4.0 code twice, due to hard-coded differences between Odyssey and Horizons. I find that a bit baffling. On the other hand, the easier solution would be to allow Horizons and Odyssey to instance together in Horizons spaces (actual space, airless moons, etc).

I bet Frontier is having some serious regret picking PEGI-7 for original Elite Dangerous, as it's painted them into this corner. The irony is that system chat turns a PEGI-7 game into a PEGI-MA game, and nobody seems to care about that, so why worry if someone in Horizons can run over an Odyssey on-foot player on an airless moon? But I guess they must.

All I know is that I'm happy to have Horizons 3.8, which remains free of all this drama, LOL.

I totally agree with the Odyssey players not being able to access Horizons 4 (in its own instance).

Its a bit odd for frontier... their goal, should be to get everyone to move to the 4.0 client (odyssey and horizons)
but the current approach means, many will stay on 3.8 just for the multiplayer aspect.
If they want to 'sell' the 4.0 client, really they need to instance everyone together.

Id suspect the issue they have is simply Odyssey and Horizon (4.0) are the same product, basically Horizons just has parts disabled.
so it seems like the launcher or instancing is not able to distinguish ody4 and hor4... so can only present one.

yup, crazy... and as above, I think its going to have exactly the opposite effect of what frontier want to achieve...everyone moving to 4.0.

perhaps this is all just 'interim' and the goal is to make odyssey and horizon 4.0 instance together...
this would seem like the logical end game to consolidate players.
and, unfortunately, likely will signal the end of the 3.8 client... which I suspect has only survived due to Odyssey instancing.

as a software engineer, really I cannot see how/why frontier would have allowed themselves to get into this situation.
not only is it bad for their community/player base... but it creates more support and maintenance issues...
all software houses aim for common code bases... and if they split/fork, its usually a priority to bring them back together.

ho hum... I guess time will tell...

they can suck it and see cant they, they have access to market situation and see how it reacts and they can respond

4.0 Horizons has never been on sale. It has only been made available to non-Odyssey players as an optional upgrade to try the 4.0 engine.
So are you saying 4.0-Horizons and the Horizons expansion are not part of the same package?

I've bought the Horizons expansion in the past, when it was still an expansion to the base game, so I suppose I should get access to anything that falls under the name of "Horizons".

Please clarify, I'm definitely failing to understand something here.

This release is a courtesy and free upgrade for non-Odyssey owners. They now get to try the 4.0 codebase with all the perks that contains as well as engage with future content and narrative updates at no additional cost where this wasn't possible before. Of course, we still hope they will upgrade to Odyssey for the full experience the game has to offer.
And there it is.

I remember back when the expansion for Diablo III was released. Some people lost their minds that the new expansion couldn't play with the old game. Now, you could always launch the original game and still all play together if you wanted to, same as this game.

But seriously: anybody that thinks they should have their cake and eat it too forever is simply unrealistic and needs to take a long look at themselves in the mirror. It's 20 bucks for crying out loud. Pay up.

But that is exactly how base game and horizons has always worked - same code, just some things are gated and the launcher options are there for those. There is no reason the same can't be done for EDO and EDH4.0 - it is either laziness, slipshod approach or just can't be bothered.

Sorry but this sort of thing really annoys me.

Last edited:
So are you saying 4.0-Horizons and the Horizons expansion are not part of the same package?

I've bought the Horizons expansion in the past, when it was still an expansion to the base game, so I suppose I should get access to anything that falls under the name of "Horizons".

you'll get horizon 4.0, odyssey players won't

Seems pretty clear to me. If you only have Horizons (ie you didnt buy Odyssey) which you claim to be in that situation, you will now get the free option in your launcher to try Horizons on Codebase 4.0 which is what Odyssey runs on. The idea being you will go oh this runs just fine, I will now think about buying Odyssey.

Last edited:
..And for random encounters 3.8 will be more deserted than ever..

YaY! I'll have the galaxy all to myself.

out-down.gif

Top Bottom