Powerplay 5C (Fifth Column) strikes Felicia Winters. Frontier needs to act.

No.I did mean by IP. My experience, which seems do be the exception, is the same IP address is kept for long periods of time. I have had my current IP for months now and it's even gone down for maintenance more than a few times. I didn't realize that other ISP's switched IP's so often. But since they seem to, I'll amend that to 'the account should be banned'.

Last edited:
That has to be a rare exception then and as such pretty useless as a basis for "IP-bans". Either that or you just catched up your static local IP to your router. Really, it's hard to believe what you are talking about.

It's less common, but not that rare. Just depends on how the ISP sets up their infrastructure. It's more likely in cases where the ISP has equipment in the building, that they may semi-permanently bind an IP address to the MAC of their hardware. For instance, I'm in a fiber-to-the-premises building, which is nice, I just get my internet from an ethernet jack on the wall. I've had the same IP address for about four years now.

Nevertheless, yes, you certainly can't *count* on any person or device having a stable IP address, so IP-based bans are almost always a bad idea.

My statement came not so much from theoretical knowledge but own experience: In the last 5 years of playing ED I've changed my ISP 3 times and it always was the same, as my 24 hour disconnections always showed: When I was still logged in the game I always got the message from the client that my IP has changed. I think in Germany and on a meager DSL line that's a very common thing. But then Germany is still a developing nation when it comes to Internet and getting access to a fiber line is far from being obvious here and not just a matter of cash. What you say might be more common and true for fiber lines, but that I don't know.

In the UK, if we have issues with our routers or the line, we get told to turn our routers off completely for 4 hours and 10 minutes (Sky Broadband and Virgin Media Broadband advice handed out on a regular basis)
Which in turn resets all of our connections and assigns us a new IP. If that does not work, we are told to call back after the 4 hours and 10 minutes and they will reset manually.

I'm not sure why their servers refresh IPs every 4 hours (the 10-minute thing was explained, something to do with a possible delay their end so to add 10 minutes before rebooting "to be safe" it registers the 4 hours), but that is the setup they use.

But as the person I replied to has acknowledged an IP ban wouldn't work due to how easy it is to change it, then this is a moot point.

Last edited:
Granted, I don't live in NYC or some major metropolis. I live in a quaint little village in Kansas named Topeka. Not a lot happens here, except the politicians all flock here during legislative sessions as we are the capital of Kansas. I think I'm probably the only one in my neighborhood with Cox cable internet. Hadn't thought of that, but now that I do, I can understand what you were saying.

Last night with an hour and a half to go, 26 thousand merits got hauled between then and tick time to narrowly "win" that expansion. The traffic report at Lazdongand showed a big jump in visits by Cutters. We believe that probably a couple to several wings were involved in shipping this to this system (all done in PG or solo, as the pilots who we sent there to search never saw a soul). Just to put it in perspective, 28K of expansion merits got sent to Lazdongand in the first 6 1/2 days of the tick... the "5c" basically matched that output in the last hour and a half of the cycle.. so this was well planned and well organized.

May of us have strong beliefs/suspicions as to which players Power(s) in the game decided to pull this stunt.... but regardless of who, its pretty brutal that those players have decided to go to any lengths to "screw Winters".

I'm rather new to this game and power play but I don't know if your suspicion holds water. When I look at my power tab, it says I will be hunted and blocked from joining another power for 2 days.

Last edited:
I'm rather new to this game and power play but I don't know if your suspicion holds water. When I look at my power tab, it says I will be hunted and blocked from joining another power for 2 days.
If you defect, it is nothing. A few ships will try to interdict you. You can wait it out, escape interdictions or just kill them. It is way less than those scripted NPC for sourcing missions.

If you defect, it is nothing. A few ships will try to interdict you. You can wait it out, escape interdictions or just kill them. It is way less than those scripted NPC for sourcing missions.

They key here to why this story doesn't work is that you are blocked from joining another faction for days, so it is impossible for people to quit and join federation in one day so they can 5th column the power. I am thinking so called "5th column" activities are having a bigger effect right now with over 7k players out on walk about to the galaxy edge.

So in essence, the power screen that tells me if I break contract, I can't sign up to another faction is not factual? Should i break pact, there are zero repercussions? LoL. Why don't they simply enforce the game mechanic as they state it in game. Simply blocking a player from power jumping quickly eliminates some community issues.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but if I were a power and someone broke contract, through whatever means, the contract is still broken. But ok, if the devs have built a loophole into their own rules to be exploited, poor planning.

Last edited:
Yeah, well there are several games that are on the market, some released just this year, that the devs seem to have a high opinion of humanity. If you put the hole into the game. They WILL use it. They WILL exploit it. And it WILL affect game play for all players, if it's a multiplayer game. Take that from someone that has been gaming since ultima online was released.

well just started pp For federation : winters where the whole federation system in Down has turmoil.and just started PP

Last edited:

Goose4291

Banned
You're only getting it partially. Defecting means effectively breaking this block and as your pre-poster already pointed out, has only trivial repercussions. A lot of ED's ingame messages and descriptions are way over the top - if not downright wrong. As new player you can't know that, so it's certainly not your fault you took that part too seriously. Blame the opaque nature of the game for it...

If the repercussions of defecting would be significantly stronger, 5c activities would be at least somewhat mollified. Though I doubt they could be entirely suppressed as second accounts could easily undermine that. Meanwhile I believe that the existence of 5c is the result of a very naive approach to MMO game design and neither foreseen nor wanted by the devs. They just didn't expect that high level of player organization.

Defectors should be hunted for the associated time period by ATR ships, instead of the damp squib you currently face.

#EasyFixHomeInTimeForTeaAndMedals

Defectors should be hunted for the associated time period by ATR ships, instead of the damp squib you currently face.

#EasyFixHomeInTimeForTeaAndMedals

don't know about the damp squib jokes, I face someone who indicted me and took me out in 3 shots, [down] and I have no idea what a atr is,but if it that powerful I don't want to know, kraits are bad enough, but maybe a longer period on hunters are better idea. 0.5 days for leaveing or defecting is a bit short

Last edited:
hmmm, I really want to know what an alliance enforcer is..... but I know now :lol get gud at spinning around me & got me butt handed to me by one.

maybe a quick suggestion to leave the pp solo mode on a seperated server so anyone who clicks solo play jumps there instead of open play server. so they don't get any points in open play, only in solo mode. until they switch over.

Last edited:
hmmm, I really want to know what an alliance enforcer is..... but I know now :lol get gud at spinning around me & got me butt handed to me by one.

maybe a quick suggestion to leave the pp solo mode on a seperated server so anyone who clicks solo play jumps there instead of open play server. so they don't get any points in open play, only in solo mode. until they switch over.
Good luck with that. FD has made it perfectly clear that they are not interested in, nor do they intend, to have multiple realities (read separated servers) in existence. It's all one big universe and all 3 modes affect the BGS. If you go hunting Imperial Navy ships and kill enough to get you unfriendly with them in solo mode, when you jump into Open or PG you'll still be unfriendly with them. You defect from Archon Delaney then switch modes, his adjusters will still come after you.

Top Bottom