A balance suggestion that could encourage players to be better pilots

I'm not asking anything to be taken away. I'm saying make it a class one module.
I was saying filthy togglers mostly in jest. Yes it's optimal for the FAS to be toggling especially but most ships you don't need to toggle in PvP. Yes it's optimal for sharp changes of direction or speed outside of boost but it's not necessary to compete. Most people will be using toggling as a crutch but convince themselves otherwise. To clarify I'm not saying that if you toggle you're definitely a scrub, but cognitive dissonance is ever present.
Yes I've been hit with force shell cannons, it's really not much of an issue at all. I'm very good at getting my ship under control. I fly fa off exclusively. This is an example of git gud scrub.
Yes I could run my exploreagle with no shield and then fit the scoop, fsd booster, discovery scanner surface scanner or srv bay, but I fly pretty much exclusively in open so a shield just makes me feel better and whatever its effectiveness it's better than no shield. Also sometimes you hit things.

The flight assist off flight model whilst not exactly representative of known physics, is a wonderful solution that allows the game to still work. Why there is no in game encouragement to use it I have no idea.

Just to pick up on this, a Reaction Wheel is a real thing, which could, theoretically, create the most of benefits provided by FA and be fitted to a spaceship as a self-contained module.

If ED went with this, you could have the choice of fitting different sizes of Reaction Wheel module, which would provide different levels of FA, with bigger RWs using more power, and a player could gradually reduce the size of RW they fitted as they became more comfortable with no FA.

Course, whether or not FDev really should start mucking around with something that nobody's especially unhappy about it another matter.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

PvP or pve isn't important. It's just a wonderful part of the game design and I'm amazed it's not encouraged in game. Yes pvpers and PvE players will encourage it on YouTube. But it's the joy of it, not whether it's optimal.
Yes you can be good with ds4 pad on consoles fa off. I know pilots that fly it with pad on console because it's easier to aim than hotas.

I think the point of the OP is that there should be a reason to use it.

There is a reason to use it even in pve. You can use it to be more efficient and to "hone" your edge. IF you choose too. I don't see why anyone would want to "incentivize" anyone to use it at all. Why would anyone care how others use FA? Is it some kind of self validation thing? A way to show everyone who scans you that you have no flight assist on your ship? I could see this being an evolution of the "no docking pc" snobs.

I don't want the filthy fa on computer polluting my superior vessel! I want the option to remove the whole goddamn thing. Lol.
Surely no one can argue that it wouldn't make small ships more viable for the Q4 activities.... God knows they've got no hope in PvP versus a saavy cmdr in a medium. All you gotta do is ram them.
And it's a negligible buff to larger vessels.
And if you want to stay fa on you can, just leave the size one module in your ship. No change from the present. Same with filthy togglers

And the added fun of snipping out your opponents fa on computer would be wonderful

What's it got to do with kbm?
Jesus the fear of the bad men here is thick

Last edited:
People.will still be able to fly.fa on.
I'm not.sayimg remove that ability from the game. I saying they have an incredible asset that they don't encourage enough. Here a way to encourage it. It also has the side benefit of improving the viability of small ships for the update content coming. No you don't need to do it just for PvP. Doing it benefits miners as well because it's fun. Yes it takes about 500 hrs to learn properly. But the learning is fun it isn't a grind.

I've changed my mind.
Having read your last post, you are quite obviously mad as a bag of Rinzlers.
o7o7o7

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea: for those who keep flying with FA On, nothing changes; those who want to use the extra module slot would have an incentive to learn FA Off.

Rep to OP.

Relative mouse makes aiming in fa off considerably easier. I use hotas. I think it's arguably harder to learn fa off docking at a coreolis than fa off just for combat. Maybe even just good pip management yeilds better results in combat than good fa off with bad pips.
This really wasn't meant to be a thread about superior combat flying though anyway. I mean bad combat pilots are gonna get trashed regardless.

All you are proposing is that people good at flying 100%fa off get a free class one slot. Fa off is already completely optional and if people don't use it I really don't see how it affects you at all.

Something that would actually encourage players to be better pilots would be more training missions working on an easier scale to break players in better.

I'd use FA-off more if returning my stick to the centre arrested my rotation. I'm perfectly fine with my travelling vector not matching my facing, I grew up on FE2's flight model, but the fact that I have to pull as if pitching up when I want to merely stop pitching down is a pain in the backside and I've been known to toggle FA briefly purely for the sake of halting my rotation while still allowing me to drift sideways.

Top Bottom