A thought about WHY the new UI..

In every example I tested, it's not even any more clicks once you've figured out the new layout.

And before anyone starts, I could not test every possible scenario, and I am aware of some people - especially those using controllers - having significantly more click for certain actions.
Guys I'm using a Joystick = controller and i can tell you for one it's horrible on both and way slower than mouse, i know this because the mouse works too and i find myself wanting to put down my controller and use that instead but I don't want to be tied to a desk. It is NOT a better experience on controller/HOTAS

There's clearly been an effort made to standardise the UI - there were effectively two UIs already (three if you count the maps) and FD were going to add a fourth with the on-foot interface.

Clearly, some of the decisions made have been questionable, but it is a good idea to make the UI as consistent as possible. I actually like some aspects of the maps while disliking others. I like the columns on the left and right, but dislike the placement of the buttons. For instance, the system map button on the galaxy map should be the second from top, if not the top icon. I like the bookmarks manager because I can plot a route directly to a station, but why is the manager right down at the bottom? Again, it should be second or first.

It would be nice to be able to choose the position of icons/buttons like you can with a modern internet browser.

Deleted member 182079

D
Guys I'm using a Joystick = controller and i can tell you for one it's horrible on both and way slower than mouse, i know this because the mouse works too and i find myself wanting to put down my controller and use that instead but I don't want to be tied to a desk. It is NOT a better experience on controller/HOTAS
Often also made worse by the fact where the 'default' location the "cursor" is placed. If you use the dpad (like I do). The 'authority' bounties/fees screen is a prime example of that but EDO has introduced a few more.

I use a dual controller set up and can do everything with my stick and puck except type a system name. It's slower for me because the icon placement is "wrong" for what I usually do in the map.

Oh and currently there's a bug which means that even though both A buttons are mapped on the controller, while you can select with either, the long HOLD option to set a jump which is a time saving feature can only be operated by the one you're not using as your main input! yeah... annoying

Is it ironic that Chris Roberts Star Citizen, David Brabens Elilte Dangerous and Sean Murrays No Mans Sky all seem to have the same issues when it comes to their particular games and that they are all British. I wonder, do they all drink their tea from the same cup?

Seems like they simply went for homogeneous and thematic interface to pull together what they probably saw as mismatched UI elements after the fleet carrier rollout.
Thoughts on usability and players time were seemingly distant, leaving us with what I can only describe as design by committee.

could have been for eye implant for all I care
missing vital info on screens makes them useless
on some, as I pointed out previously in a very pointed and mean post, any menu meant to allow a selection, yet only moves in 1 direction is not taking into consideration the limits of the menu.
My particular one is the select a ship menu. The game allows you to own a lot of ships and I don't ever want to see them together in one menu like this. Atrocious is being kind.
Previous menu showed items in ship and you can start scroll to left or right.
If you have 40 ships at every station, then this and the transfer menu as separated in horizons, is very easy to find the ship I want.
If you only have 6 ships and no internals, then its a great setup.

An improvement, actual improvement to what exists in horizons, add a search!
Basic computer functions that do not exist in the future. Ability to search and list all ships with certain items..
Otherwise its a very useful design.(Horizons)

As a programmer, when I see people make 'improvements' that are NOT improvements, I see poor planning and poor priorities lists.
It's nice to make something prettier. I only ever waste my programming time on that aspect when something is actually functional. Till then I don't care what it looks like.

Many of the other changes, to me is simple mimicry of Microsoft and most graphic program companies.
They can't come up with new stuff like Tide does every year so they re-arrange menus and merge some functions into new or old but different menus then pass it off as this years latest and greatest.
And just like Tide and Cornflakes, they aren't fooling anyone.

Last edited:
Because they outsourced it with the request to "freshen up the UI, go" - to a party who never played the game in their lives.

That's my theory anyways.
This, is exactly what I said last Friday,,right after I blew a gasket trying to find the ship I docked in for 15 minutes of scrolling through hundreds of my ships.

I did say "I am aware of some people - especially those using controllers - having significantly more click for certain actions."

I actually use my mouse rather than my HOTAS for navigating the menus. I didn't have the HOTAS during the Alpha so couldn't run any tests with it. Someone shared a video where it was something like 10 clicks extra for the same action on the GalMap with a controller. So it's defiantly not perfect, but a lot of the complaints seemed to be more to do with familiarity, but as I said, not all were/are.

I did say "I am aware of some people - especially those using controllers - having significantly more click for certain actions."

I actually use my mouse rather than my HOTAS for navigating the menus. I didn't have the HOTAS during the Alpha so couldn't run any tests with it. Someone shared a video where it was something like 10 clicks extra for the same action on the GalMap with a controller. So it's defiantly not perfect, but a lot of the complaints seemed to be more to do with familiarity, but as I said, not all were/are.
Yeah sorry i was more agreeing with you, sorry if I made it sound like i was taking you up on something contrary, i wasn't my bad!

The irony is that there's a handful of CMDRs insisting that consoles are "to blame" for this new UI, but as a console owner who plays ED using PS4 controller, I can tell you that this is the furthest thing from the truth, as you yourself prove by preferring a mouse over HOTAS / controller for menu navigation.

I like it.. It gives WAY more detail than before... I for one hope they add more stuff to the UI but how it is setup wise i love it! GJ FDev!

The irony is that there's a handful of CMDRs insisting that consoles are "to blame" for this new UI, but as a console owner who plays ED using PS4 controller, I can tell you that this is the furthest thing from the truth, as you yourself prove by preferring a mouse over HOTAS / controller for menu navigation.

It's always the console players fault. It's those funny controllers they insist on using, what reasonable person would use one of those? ;)

There's certainly some PC snobbery going on, they're almost as snobby as Mac users. 😆

Top Bottom