Adder or Hauler for exploration, and your rec loadout?

Hi Cmdrs!

I've just upgraded and downgraded and regraded across a selection of ships while trying to find the right one for me. I'm stuck between the Hauler and the Adder now. I want a ship capable of exploration, while having a small amount of versatility to throw a bit of cargo on-board to sell on at the next place.

I also have no idea on the best way of kitting up an explorer in today's ED, all the threads I've seen have been 2 or 3 years old...

Any help is gratefully received!

o7

Mags.

Diamondback explorer is my go to long range ship, 60 ly engineered jumprange and enough internals for everything you need plus an SRV.

Shield
Scoop
AFMU (I swap this for cargo bay when needed)
Discovery scanner
Surface scanner
SRV

Adder was what I used to get the Sag A* the first time.
Adder will allow Shields and an SRV or cargo in place of shields

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=B0f0,,Cjw0CzY0,9p30A3w0AL60Aak0Ani0B2u0BK40BZY0,,4zM07Q401IM02jw02UI0,,

If you don't want to land with the SRV the Hauler is fine.

I add the PDS as if you are coming home and run into a pirate who gets the drop on you, last thing you want as you run is some missile disabling your drives.

Remember engineering is optional so don't feel you need to engineer everything to go out an explore.

Last edited:
Dolphin.

If you're going to go, take all the amenities with you - and the Dolphin can fit them, and has a great view, outstanding handling, and a champagne chiller.

If you limit yourself to the choice between these two

Adder:
+ one more internal slot
+ less sensitive (in jump range) to additional mass
+ scoops and flies cooler

Hauler:
+ higher possible jump range

Personally, I'd take a Sidey out to two or three ELW/WW systems from one of the "road to riches" lists, then skip the Adder/Hauler discussion and get a Dolphin.

Thanks everyone! Since posting this thread I managed to make some serious trade returns in my hauler and have bought a cobra mk3, I've heard that's the way to go for a new player like me!

I'll 100% wait and go for the dolphin if that's the way to go, not so sure l get there very quickly but it's a target! Haha

Top Bottom