COMPLETED CG Aid Achilles Aerospace in Researching Titan Travel Technology

The RNG is a bit vicious with this CG, had to visit five times before I found one. Reminding me of the financial projections grind. I did find enough material to get the bobblehead, which was nice.

Last edited:
Good luck everyone. Its an interesting place. Kind of like Monterrey bay on a random Sunday morning. Visibility is about as far as your nose is long.
Just be careful, its not free of baddies.
As someone who did their open water certification there, I understood this reference!!!!

EDIT: FDev please, please, PLEASE make these available for purchase. Credits or mats, I don't care.
On the one hand, yes, absolutely.

On the other, my only concern is that CRCR's of these (and all sizes) will just mean you exclusively fit them and nothing else. Hauling corrosives used to be a challenge before even the Class 4... given the trajectory of number of materials to collect these days it makes sense, but I just wish they weren't a binary "On/Off" switch in terms of implementation, and that some thought and strategy was still needed.

The RNG is a bit vicious with this CG, had to visit five times before I found one. Reminding me of the financial projections grind. I did find enough material to get the bobblehead, which was nice.
Took me five visits in solo, then dropped in a group instance where cmdrs and an interceptor were already present and found two TDCs in couple minutes.

Not cobbled together a ship for this yet but I saw in a thread over in DD that one should just cruise around occasionally scooping stuff to synthesise Caustic Sinks and they will appear as the loot changes over time not by resting the instance.

Last edited:
On the one hand, yes, absolutely.

On the other, my only concern is that CRCR's of these (and all sizes) will just mean you exclusively fit them and nothing else. Hauling corrosives used to be a challenge before even the Class 4... given the trajectory of number of materials to collect these days it makes sense, but I just wish they weren't a binary "On/Off" switch in terms of implementation, and that some thought and strategy was still needed.

A 4E CR in a 6E slot is a stupid waste of space in 3310.

Not and old timer here, only 3.5 years in game, but I figure the 4E CRCRs came in a time when all you needed to carry was thargoid artifacts and a few samples, so I suppose 16 cargo slots was adequate enough.

Last night, the list in my nav panel of things to pick up was so long that it was simply unmanageable (mostly design fault, though), and all I could think was "dammit, I need more limpets, I need more space".

So what if the standard CRs become obsolete? It's called progress. Who's still using the old xeno scanner? Exactly. Besides, it's not like you'll be able to fit an entire ship with CRCRs only. There are no 3E and 2E of those.

At first I was like, "only one Titan Drive Component to get the rewards? Seems rather generous". Then last night it took me three goes in Solo to find a single TDC, heading back and forth to a nearby carrier, and then it didn't seem so easy.

Will be heading back later today in Open to pick up some extras and see what it's like. My carrier is acquiring a small stockpile of other Thargoid parts.

Not sure why 4E CRCRs would become redundant just because larger ones become available. Outfitting slots are always limited, especially on smaller ships, so I can easily see builds that would still make use of them.

Done. The demand bug's been fixed too.

1711132649437.png

1711132685244.png

Amazingly, I found one immediately on my first try!

Yep, same here. Looks like that is rather the norm than the exception.

I wonder if cmdrs who are not finding them are fitting their ships with long range sensors. If not, it's quite likely that they are not able to spot them in an area so large and very difficult to navigate in a grid-like pattern. You could fly around the thing in circles for hours and not see it.

I realize the CG mat is rare G5 and I was probably unlucky but it took me 5 dives into Taranis, expending all of 2 caustic sink launchers (without synthesizing more), so about 30 minutes on each dive, to find my 1 and only TDC. I‘ll probably try to get more later but that seemed like I made the RNG gods unhappy or something. Sheez!

The good news is that I got tons of all the other mats and commodities.

May others have better luck than me!

A 4E CR in a 6E slot is a stupid waste of space in 3310.

Not and old timer here, only 3.5 years in game, but I figure the 4E CRCRs came in a time when all you needed to carry was thargoid artifacts and a few samples, so I suppose 16 cargo slots was adequate enough.
16t was way later than the need for higher tonnage... if you can call it a need. There was a CG for the 1E&2E after the CG to bring CRCRs into the game, but we had Thargoid Sensors, Probes, Links and other Thargoid detritus, as well as the need to take tissue samples, probes and sensors out for the Guardian ruins missions, and collect large volumes of the detritus (resin, biological samples etc) to service inbox missions when you'd get to Obsidian Orbital in Maia.

1E & 2E were available through unlocking Palin.
4E only became available when Tech Brokers were introduced.

Back when farming Thargoid Sensors (then Unknown Artefacts) was comparably good income, my record was collecting and hauling 26t of the things. It was exciting stuff. When Class 1 and 2 CRCRs became a thing, and that activity was still good money, it was good enough that you need to consider the impact of putting so many C1&2s into higher-class things wasn't worth it, compared to bareback-hauling higher-tonnages in non-CRCR racks.
So what if the standard CRs become obsolete? It's called progress. Who's still using the old xeno scanner? Exactly. Besides, it's not like you'll be able to fit an entire ship with CRCRs only. There are no 3E and 2E of those.
I'll just emphasise that I did refer to the idea of eventually getting CRCRs in all sizes as part of my concern, of which unleashing 5E and 6E as regularly available would contribute to.

I don't disagree with the baseline sentiment, but this is a game. Outright removing mechanics and game loops in the name of "progress" is bad design... in this case the increased difficulty and planning usually needed for handling corrosive goods (at least, pre 4E racks, and the CG giving us temp access to one 5E and 6E).

Getting a bit OT, but depth of challenge to cargo hauling is something that's long been missing from the game. Milk runs for profit are fine, but we've never had needs like:
  • Taking cargo into stations under fire (whether from AX or from Humans)
  • Toxic Waste used to have salvage and transport missions associated with it. Though not nearly as dangerous as Thargoid cargo, in sufficient tonnage it could still prove a substantial risk.
  • We actually had missions to transport Thargoid cargo, briefly. This seemed like an accident, and I unfortunately missed the boat on that (because it also caused the mission boards to wig out) , but the logistics of handling a hundred tonnes of this stuff when the biggest rack you had was 2t was considered; do you play it safe and run them 10t-20 at a time, five times, or do you fit a big rack and carry them clean, risking one run... or go a middle ground where you have some bare, but need to do two runs.

This is my concern... that there was actually challenge and thought required to how to ship these things around... FCs address that for the most part, but has a cost in terms of tritium. If we got CRCRs in all classes, might as well just not bother; remove the corrosive effect from the game and just god-hand the effect away with a story about how all standard cargo racks are corrosive resistant as-standard.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hold any hope of FD actually realising the potential of this mechanic, so I'm not opposed to 5E/6E becoming available... just lamenting a completely missed opportunity. Could've been much more... and that's a shame.

EDIT: Oh, regular xeno scanner still has a part to play. 25% of the power requirement, better if power is tight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom