Alec's best of the forum (and elsewhere) [v2]

Trending: Supply and demand for LTD's + ability to target VO's, Painite and LTD's in galaxy map without needing to have them in your hold.

I've also added Cmdr Green Skin's detailed analysis of high-value mining material trade prices circa January 3306 to the "useful reference lists section". I guess the information will date and become less relevant over time but it's still a really good bit of work that's worth showcasing I think.

Last edited:
A bunch of things I just wanted to highlight real quick.

First we have a really nice introduction into what Elite actually is and a great video to show to anyone who's curious about getting into the game (with some truly fantastic in-game footage from @Rheeney and the @Buur Pit team). I'm probably gonna give this a permanent home somewhere at the start of the "manuals, guides and other stuff for new players" section.

Secondly, an excellent and really fascinating interview with @Souvarine and @Ulon Origal of Sagittarius Eye magazine on last week's "Friends on Friday" livestream from Cmdr @Exigeous. First 45 minutes (roughly) covers Sagittarius Eye magazine itself (it's origins, production process, etc) while the second half diverges into what is definitely one of the better all round discussions about Elite Dangerous, what it's good at, what it's not good at and some intelligent discussion on what the future might hold. Highly recommended! (note: the visuals are not required so you might want to just rip the audio and listen to it while doing other things).

And lastly ... they've been around for ever and are so intrinsic to the world of Elite (and modest) that it's easy to take them for granted but it's BRILLIANT to see that Frontier have not forgotten them and are featuring Lave Radio on this coming Thursday's livestream.

livestream-announcement-thread

"Featured Commander - Lave Radio" ... about bloody time!

I'm sure some people may have seen the extraordinary video @Exigeous shared recently of disabled gamer Jerry Farris landing a ship using just voice commands ..

Jerry suffers a degenerative disease called spinal muscular atrophy which means that currently, aside from brief (5 minute?) periods where he's able to his thumbs (via a laser mouse?) he plays Elite entirely via voice command.

I urge people to watch the full livestream (below) to get a bit more context and background on this. Not only can Jerry land a ship, he can land on planets, drive around in the SRV and even use the FSS and camera suite. He's developed his own Voice Attack profile which he uses in conjunction with voice dictation software called Dragon and watching him do this has been one of the most inspiring hour or so's video I've ever watched.

There's more info in the description of that video and also, if people want to help in some way then, aside from just spreading the word, there's a GoFundMe donation page setup by Exigeous to help Jerry to get some better kit (a better video card and microphone) and/or better broadband maybe. Jerry's considering starting his own YouTube channel which I think would be a huge boost to the wider disabled gaming community and having the best kit and internet access he can to make that a real possibility seems (to me at least) to be a cause worth celebrating.

This also fits in nicely with the work done by Frontier's adopted charity Special Effect and I wonder if perhaps Jerry and Special Effect could work together to bring Jerry's custom build VA profile to a wider audience?

Last edited:
Trending: How do you do Elite and do you do the "Frontier Flop" (© @Exigeous) at Dav's Hope?

Also, another recommened video/achievement of the week.

812,591% HEAT !!!!!!!!!!!!

this-is-fine-meme-625x350.jpg

Last edited:
Trending: Unforgettable moments from the past 5 years.

I've also added Rui Rebui's 812,591% heat video to the "epic tales of derring-do" section.

Epic? ✅
Foolhardy misadventure? ✅

Yeah, I think that qualifies.

Trending (in the truest sense of the word): No news is bad news.

Also, a quick shoutout for the @Souvarine interview with the Loose Screws folks. A really fascinating insight into some of Elite's successes and shortfalls from one of the game's most brilliantly eloquent and analaytical commentators.

Last edited:
Top Bottom