Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm notfamiliar with that tool. Are there any freeware equivalents?

Sorry, I know of no freeware tool and I could not find any after a quick search. So taking away commercial software and with no freeware available to analyse the light shifts in the Beacon, all that is left is pen and paper.

It may simply be an added effect.

You'll always find everything you need on the Front Page CMDR ;)

Very true and very appreciated :)

honk honk

- - - Updated - - -

Well I am now heading to orion's folly to check it out for myself, just so happened to be within 100ly, not too shabby

I think my next goal will be visiting a lot of blue stars afterwards, that next outpost is so tantalising, and is that an anaconda I see parked up, what secrets does that place hold for us!

Last edited:

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
So, are you ready for the CANONN RUINS GATHERING??

Location: SYNUEFE XR-H D11-102, Planet 1 B (-31.7877, -128.9711)

I have mentioned this before, and since the searches for systems with other ruins have died down, I think it's about time to get the ball rolling.
I would like to get together a large group of commanders at the ruins, to be able to do some experimenting on a larger scale. I am not sure if it will make a difference, but I think it is worth a try. Here's a short breakdown of my initial plan:

1. I need to know that we will be able to gather a large enough group of commanders to make it worthwhile. I have already been told by some that they are interested, but unless we are atleast 11, there is no point in making it into an event. Any fewer than that and nothing of what I have planned will be doable. So please, for anyone interested: send me a PM (see below for more).

2. I would like to do this soon, but still give people a bit of a heads up. So currently my plans are to do this on Thursday 17 November, or Monday 21 November, depending on which day we can gather the most people. So in your PM, let me also know which of those two days you are able to join, if not both. Timings to be decided, but I am thinking around 18:00 UTC (ie. in-game time).

3.a. Primary experiment is to shoot away some of the rocks underneath all the artifacts to make them rest upon the "glowing areas" and then place one commander at each area to make them all light up at the same time. For this we will need 15 commanders, plus outside observers.
3.b. Secondary experiment is to make all obelisk formations light up at the same time. For this we will need 10 commanders, plus outside observers.
3.c. Tertiary experiment is to combine both of the above at the same time, which will require 25(!) commanders, plus outside observers.
3.d. Additional experiments: If anyone has a bright idea for something else to do, please suggest it! We can also do some ad-hoc things on the site after the above is done, but it would be nice to have a plan before we're there. There is also an idea in my head about moving things around, because of something MB said in a live stream about moving something from one place to another to make something happen. That idea isn't clear though, as there are too many possibilities to move things on the site.
Note 1: The above experiments will be done with all 4 "Beacons" raised. I don't think it's feasible to gather that many commanders in one place, without someone accidentally tripping a beacon. And I also think they should be raised, as they are a major part of the ruins.
Note 2: There will be NO shooting of any items except the above mentioned rocks! This is not a "check what healing lasers do" experiment. If the above yields nothing, it will be time to consider shooting some of the pillars surrounding the Ancient Relics, but that's about it. After we're done with everything above and nobody has any more ideas, you can shoot at your heart's content :D

4. As soon as I start getting PMs from people I will set up a spreadsheet with assignments for everyone. I am sure everyone would like to be an outside observer, but if everyone did that, then there would be no experiment ;) So if you sign up for this, you will accept the task given to you. If you can't do that and want to do your own thing, please don't sign up for it. Thanks. With that in mind, please add if you have video and/or sound recording capabilities, as that will influence the assignment given to each commander.

5. The experiments will NOT be done in Open, but in a Private Group! There are too many elements out there that are just hanging around waiting for something like this so they can create some "emergent content." I would like to avoid that if I can.
Here we have two choices, we can either do it in the Canonn PG, or in another PG (ie. my private group). There are benefits to both. The former gives it more of an "official Canonn" feel to it, which I would like, but I don't think everyone here have access to it. There is also the chance of someone already being at the ruins, which results in getting a pre-created instance with the possibility of it being "tampered" with already. The latter only requires the people involved to send a request to join beforehand, and the only people in it will be the ones doing the experiments.
I would like your input on this please!
And I am sorry for the XBox users, but this will be for PC as that is what I have, and we unfortunately don't mix well in ED [sad]

I think that's about it. I am open to suggestions on pretty much anything of the above, except for the experiments. I would like those to be done, as that's the whole point of this gathering.
I really hope we can pull this off! If nothing else, we should be able to tie up a few loose ends to this ruins business.

If you are interested in joining, please send me a PM with the following information:
- Commander Name
- Preferred day for experiments (or both if it doesn't matter)
- Video recording Capability (Y/N)
- Audio Recording Capability (Y/N)
- Member of the Canonn PG (Y/N)

After that, all we can do is pray to the Wing-gods that they look favorably upon us :eek:

Thanks for the attention.

Last edited:

I have mentioned this before, and since the searches for systems with other ruins have died down, I think it's about time to get the ball rolling.
I would like to get together a large group of commanders at the ruins, to be able to do some experimenting on a larger scale. I am not sure if it will make a difference, but I think it is worth a try. Here's a short breakdown of my initial plan:

1. I need to know that we will be able to gather a large enough group of commanders to make it worthwhile. I have already been told by some that they are interested, but unless we are atleast 11, there is no point in making it into an event. Any fewer than that and nothing of what I have planned will be doable. So please, for anyone interested: send me a PM (see below for more).

2. I would like to do this soon, but still give people a bit of a heads up. So currently my plans are to do this on Thursday 17 November, or Monday 21 November, depending on which day we can gather the most people. So in your PM, let me also know which of those two days you are able to join, if not both. Timings to be decided, but I am thinking around 18:00 UTC (ie. in-game time).

3.a. Primary experiment is to shoot away some of the rocks underneath all the artifacts to make them rest upon the "glowing areas" and then place one commander at each area to make them all light up at the same time. For this we will need 15 commanders, plus outside observers.
3.b. Secondary experiment is to make all obelisk formations light up at the same time. For this we will need 10 commanders, plus outside observers.
3.c. Tertiary experiment is to combine both of the above at the same time, which will require 25(!) commanders, plus outside observers.
3.d. Additional experiments: If anyone has a bright idea for something else to do, please suggest it! We can also do some ad-hoc things on the site after the above is done, but it would be nice to have a plan before we're there. There is also an idea in my head about moving things around, because of something MB said in a live stream about moving something from one place to another to make something happen. That idea isn't clear though, as there are too many possibilities to move things on the site.
Note 1: The above experiments will be done with all 4 "Beacons" raised. I don't think it's feasible to gather that many commanders in one place, without someone accidentally tripping a beacon. And I also think they should be raised, as they are a major part of the ruins.
Note 2: There will be NO shooting of any items except the above mentioned rocks! This is not a "check what healing lasers do" experiment. If the above yields nothing, it will be time to consider shooting some of the pillars surrounding the Ancient Relics, but that's about it. After we're done with everything above and nobody has any more ideas, you can shoot at your heart's content :D

4. As soon as I start getting PMs from people I will set up a spreadsheet with assignments for everyone. I am sure everyone would like to be an outside observer, but if everyone did that, then there would be no experiment ;) So if you sign up for this, you will accept the task given to you. If you can't do that and want to do your own thing, please don't sign up for it. Thanks. With that in mind, please add if you have video and/or sound recording capabilities, as that will influence the assignment given to each commander.

5. The experiments will NOT be done in Open, but in a Private Group! There are too many elements out there that are just hanging around waiting for something like this so they can create some "emergent content." I would like to avoid that if I can.
Here we have two choices, we can either do it in the Canonn PG, or in another PG (ie. my private group). There are benefits to both. The former gives it more of an "official Canonn" feel to it, which I would like, but I don't think everyone here have access to it. There is also the chance of someone already being at the ruins, which results in getting a pre-created instance with the possibility of it being "tampered" with already. The latter only requires the people involved to send a request to join beforehand, and the only people in it will be the ones doing the experiments.
And I am sorry for the XBox users, but this will be for PC as that is what I have, and we unfortunately don't mix well in ED [sad]

I think that's about it. I am open to suggestions on pretty much anything of the above, except for the experiments. I would like those to be done, as that's the whole point of this gathering.
I really hope we can pull this off! If nothing else, we should be able to tie up a few loose ends to this ruins business.

If you are interested in joining, please send me a PM with the following information:
- Commander Name

After that, all we can do is pray to the Wing-gods that they look favorably upon us :eek:

+ Rep for thinking up such a plan, would love to be part of this but unfortunately I'm heading towards Colonia

day 4 of the hunt for the incident site begins for anyone interested ill compile the already found details
found by me and my friend CMDR Selrak Lightner, by now the system we are looking for is definitely the Asterope system BUT witch star is it is being questioned
we are questioning the star because the gamescom message was most likely edited

http://i.imgur.com/NnXjHFl.png[/url... purpose [url]http://i.imgur.com/SOvNatB.jpg
note: not all stars are that vissible on screenshots sadly, and because its the same system asterope b ac be lined up perfectly too
for now its gonna take a while to find the site with what little manpower we have for searching

I needed something else to do and had this on my todo list for some time now.
I figured a confirmation never hurts and you only believe what you see for yourself. (no disrespect intended)
So I took a trip to the Pleiades and lined up in a few systems.
And guess what, they were on the spot!

Video screenshot:
A0dCv2a.jpg

Video screenshot enhanced stars:
TFHXScK.jpg

original ingame screenshot:
(so no one can say I just altered the video screenie :D)
EcCkhCh.jpg

original ingame screenshot enhanced stars:
77vpv3L.jpg

original ingame screenshot cropped to the same size:
iiQoLEM.jpg

Both overlayed:
12v3XwC.jpg

Marked all pairing stars:
xWnp34k.jpg

I deliberately moved to a position for a screenshot without the star, to see the background better.
You can see, the angle doesn't quite fit due to differing position but ASTEROPE is in fact the system featured in the GC video.
Great work CMDR GeneralGhostt and CMDR Selrak Lightner!

Last edited:
I think my next goal will be visiting a lot of blue stars afterwards, that next outpost is so tantalising, and is that an anaconda I see parked up, what secrets does that place hold for us!

I did that this weekend, checked dozens of bluish stars around Orions's Folly, only found one with an ELW in it, I forget the system name though, I posted it so many pages back, have to find it...

Very true and very appreciated :)

honk honk

- - - Updated - - -

Well I am now heading to orion's folly to check it out for myself, just so happened to be within 100ly, not too shabby

if itis an anaconda....then i doubt it would be the site we have been looking for to do with the generation ships....but still its something important

I don't think the star has to necessarily be a blue one, the message mention a big blue ball in the sky, which I am taking as the target body (planet) and it being a few (10 or less?) LY away

Why would you use the word "few" when we need accurate measurements damn you! :D

Last edited:
I don't think the star has to necessarily be a blue one, the message mention a big blue ball in the sky, which I am taking as the target body (planet) and it being a few (10 or less?) LY away

Why would you use the word "few" when we need accurate measurements damn you! :D

We were discussing all this over the weekend, hence why they guys went out looking for blue stars then blue planets within the 16lys i think and then increased it.

Still worth looking but may need to change tactic

CMDR reporting for duty. Let me know the time and place. I like the democratic "we'll start with..." that ends "... if anyone else has any bright ideas, we'll try that too".

Ready for action... Ready for science :)

- Commander Name

We were discussing all this over the weekend, hence why they guys went out looking for blue stars then blue planets within the 16lys i think and then increased it.

Still worth looking but may need to change tactic

So my plan is to visit all system between sol and COL 285 SECTOR UZ-O C6-9 looking for elw's, pretty much going to take a direct ;line from sol and see what happens

Last edited:
There is a a terraformable Waterworld in HIP 2716 which is about 15.5+ ly away from Orions Folly. Currently supercruising at 30c towards COL 285 SECTOR UZ-O C6-9 looking for USS as I haven't found any USS near the Water World itself. Maybe worth doing it the other way round too.

- Commander Name

It's on top of the Front Page CMDR Arguendo ;)

CMDR reporting for duty. Let me know the time and place. I like the democratic "we'll start with..." that ends "... if anyone else has any bright ideas, we'll try that too".

Ready for action... Ready for science :)
PM send here as well!

CMDR Arguendo, can you keep us up to date on how this shapes up?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom