Allow use of pre 3.3 Advanced Discovery Scanner

At risk of going OT here but it was balanced. Anybody could use it.
Balance is a very subjective thing - Ultimately, it is always going to be contentious but the simple fact is that FD obviously agreed the revised drag affect was not in-line with their intentions. That is moot though.

The point is the "ADS removal complaints" are NOT a balancing concern and while I agree FD should never have removed the ADS in the first place based on their own rule-book regarding implementing changes, it is not something that has a broad "game balance" impact on everyone regardless of their gameplay choices (unlike combat changes).

Iv said it before, you just say the first nonsense that comes into your head. Let other people correct you i find it tiresome.
Lol. None of what I have said in that post is nonsense. But you sprout a lot of it though. And nobody has corrected me yet, including you as it is mainly subjective. But I have corrected your pathetic attacks on the pew pew crowd, blaming them for something they haven't done. Stop living in a fantasy world and open your eyes.

it is not something that has a broad "game balance" impact on everyone regardless of their gameplay choices (unlike combat changes).

Im not so sure tbh. Remember before it came along if you wanted a distant object you had to make an effort and go out there and scan it. I would argue that the FSS changes, basicly making it easy mode for people who complained about flying their ships, has changed the balance and its cheapened the effort made by those who did put the effort in. Its not the same instant issue that a weapon is but its definately there.

Personally the major reason for me is that it is now redundant.
Maybe for you but not for others like myself and the OP. If IYO it is redundant, then you should have no problem with FD adding something along the lines discussed here back in - essentially an "optional" upgrade that populates the topographic map (c/f information unveiled at the reported level) on the initial honk and lets the player choose how to proceed (with exploring the system) either long range FSS scan or near body fly by scan.

Last edited:
Im not so sure tbh. Remember before it came along if you wanted a distant object you had to make an effort and go out there and scan it. I would argue that the FSS changes, basicly making it easy mode for people who complained about flying their ships, has changed the balance and its cheapened the effort made by those who did put the effort in. Its not the same instant issue that a weapon is but its definately there.
I don't disagree that the introduction of FSS cheapens exploration (and arguably is not an improvement) BUT that is a whole different topic to what is being proposed by the OP.

Re-introducing something along the lines of what the OP is asking for would have no appreciable affect on the exploration mechanics balance in essence - the FSS would not be removed or replaced (the use of the FSS would become on the most part optional).

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Remember to discuss the post and not the poster! Let's keep it on topic if you want to continue being able to post in this thread.

Maybe for you but not for others like myself and the OP. If IYO it is redundant, then you should have no problem with FD adding something along the lines discussed here back in - essentially an "optional" upgrade that populates the topographic map (c/f information unveiled at the reported level) on the initial honk and lets the player choose how to proceed (with exploring the system) either long range FSS scan or near body fly by scan.
It is mechanically redundant. That is a fact. The rest is personal preference and if Fdev have a different personal preference, well that's the way it is.

It seems to me that that even though the initial few posts attempted to derail of forestall this thread at 40 odd pages long it's still a bone of contention that needs addressing by ED..

PS, I've not played ED since midway through the 3.3 beta, when I realised that I'd leave an UGLY snail trail of unfinished 'first discovered by's across the galaxy, and, with no options as to whether or not I stamp my name on a system I have not completed I stopped playing, the FSS Scanner?, I'm not really keen on, it doesn't really make a great deal of sense at all, with the information travelling to my ship from sometimes so distant in so little time yet needing so much fiddling, still the old one also broke the laws of speed too... but whatever, it's a game, and games place hurdles because science would undoubtedly make things easier.
Now that's a far longer PS than I thought it would be!

when I realised that I'd leave an UGLY snail trail of unfinished 'first discovered by's across the galaxy, and, with no options as to whether or not I stamp my name on a system I have not completed

Just one of many reasons to dislike the thing. It appears designed to coddle the 7+ crowd who couldnt/woudnt explore before and could not understand those who did. Ruined the exploration part of the game really, IMO.

Just one of many reasons to dislike the thing. It appears designed to coddle the 7+ crowd who couldnt/woudnt explore before and could not understand those who did. Ruined the exploration part of the game really, IMO.
AHH, and here come the insults. You are insinuating that anybody that likes it has the mental age of a 7yo.

As if the old ADS was so intellectual. Yup pressing a button for 5 seconds was soooo tough and complicated you needed a PHD to do it.

You are insinuating that anybody that likes it has the mental age of a 7yo.

Which is not what i said and something you just made up. The game is advertised on steam as 7+. Am i the only poster on this forum complaining that the game is being dumbed down? No im not. It is being dumbed down, its just a fact. Dont be mad at me, be mad at Fdev.

Which is not what i said and something you just made up. The game is advertised on steam as 7+. Am i the only poster on this forum complaining that the game is being dumbed down? No im not. It is being dumbed down, its just a fact. Dont be mad at me, be mad at Fdev.
You need to look up what insinuation means.

As to being dumbed down, it didn't get any dumber then the old ADS and DSS. You couldn't get any more simplistic. Well I suppose you could. The ADS could become an automated feature like the DSS.

The FSS did make it less dumbed down. But I am beginning to think some people want the game as dumb and easy as possible.

Last edited:
It is mechanically redundant. That is a fact. The rest is personal preference and if Fdev have a different personal preference, well that's the way it is.
False - it is anything but redundant. The FSS does not subsume the gameplay that was possible with the xDS, there is some overlap perhaps but that is it - options were REMOVED with the introduction of the FSS, that is non-subjective fact.

You can try to claim otherwise but such claims would be based purely on subjective opinion rather than objective fact.

Last edited:
False - it is anything but redundant. The FSS does not subsume the gameplay that was possible with the xDS, there is some overlap perhaps but that is it - options were REMOVED with the introduction of the FSS, that is non-subjective fact.

You can try to claim otherwise but such claims would be based purely on subjective opinion rather than objective fact.
There was no gameplay with the old ADS apart from a 5 second press of a button. And you still get that gameplay with the FSS if you can call it that.

As to options removed, nope. Same options available, but from different information.

Last edited:
Top Bottom