Alternative: Add engineering to Supercruise Assist

If the autopilot module is controversial or against canon, what about the supercruise changes?

You are basically asking for the game's physics to be rewritten. Have a look at some of the "supercruise is boring / too slow / needs to accellerate faster" threads (there are rather a lot) for all the counter-arguments / explanations of the travel mechanics. Life is too short to write them here again...

You are basically asking for the game's physics to be rewritten. Have a look at some of the "supercruise is boring / too slow / needs to accellerate faster" threads (there are rather a lot) for all the counter-arguments / explanations of the travel mechanics. Life is too short to write them here again...
How so? I didn't realize its so integral. Is there is at least a core counterpoint you can reference?

EDIT: Would the counter arguments presented here suffice? https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/supercruise-can-we-fix-this.585133/
So far I have not seen any convincing points.

Last edited:
How so? I didn't realize its so integral. Is there is at least a core counterpoint you can reference?

EDIT: Would the counter arguments presented here suffice? https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/supercruise-can-we-fix-this.585133/
So far I have not seen any convincing points.

As I mentioned above, I am not going to be lured down the rabbit-hole of this explanation again. There are loads of threads where the game's adopted "physics model" version of the Alcubierre Drive is explained and the constraints the game has placed with regards to gravitational effects. Go have fun reading, I have more interesting things to do than spout on this for the Nth time.

As I mentioned above, I am not going to be lured down the rabbit-hole of this explanation again. There are loads of threads where the game's adopted "physics model" version of the Alcubierre Drive is explained and the constraints the game has placed with regards to gravitational effects. Go have fun reading, I have more interesting things to do than spout on this for the Nth time.
I have already read plenty.

Please provide a link, I am new to the forum...

OK I give in, here is one of my very early E D bookmarks:

That Fandom wiki article has no references to anything Frontier has said, seems more like conjecture.

Outwardly, Supercruise resembles Alcubierre drive but this is a game implementation, not hypothetical physics. What if a class of FSD can compress space faster than another? Perhaps it is larger or aligned a certain way? Why should acceleration and max speed be so rigid? What do you gain from the current system? I have played 1300+ hours and after the first 500 hours, flying toward white dots has become mundane. This takes up far too much time to be useful. Interdiction is already advantaged enough or can easily be adjusted to compensate.

Last edited:
That Fandom wiki article has no references to anything Frontier has said, seems more like conjecture.

Outwardly, Supercruise resembles Alcubierre drive but this is a game implementation, not hypothetical physics. What if a class of FSD can compress space faster than another? Perhaps it is larger or aligned a certain way? Why should acceleration and max speed be so rigid? What do you gain from the current system? I have played 1300+ hours and after the first 500 hours, flying toward white dots has become mundane. This takes up far too much time to be useful. Interdiction is already advantaged enough or can easily be adjusted to compensate.

read the post above - I relented and dug out the "bible" link - I am not going to discuss the handwavium of the game

read the post above - I relented and dug out the "bible" link - I am not going to discuss the handwavium of the game
Rubbish - there's nothing in the game that can't be changed by the developers.

I've seen and participated in many many threads about this where the same people object to changing to SuperCruise over and over again, but their arguments always come down to the same 2 things:
  1. "You can't change the laws of physics."
    As if the 'physics' in the game is some immutable thing that absolutely cannot be changed, completely disregarding the fact that all FTL travel is based on theory (not reality), and that someone obviously decided what the current acceleration/deceleration rates were and implemented them. Only a developer from Frontier would know whether or not SuperCruise acceleration could be changed.
    Unless you can provide actual evidence that you have seen the source code of Elite Dangerous firsthand, with proof showing what impact any changes would have, then any argument about lore/physics/code/etc... is just a distraction for argument (2), below:
  2. "Hutton Orbital."
    Let's be honest here - this is the only real reason you don't want to change SuperCruise isn't it? A whole bunch of 'truckers' have got more free time than most of us, and so have created a nice little cash-cow whereby they point their ship towards Hutton with a large cargo haul, and then go off and do something else for an hour safe in the knowledge that absolutely nothing bad is going to happen to their ship en-route. Dock, sell goods, and repeat.
    It's a cheap, lazy, and skill-less way to make in-game credits, and too many people have gotten rather too comfortable with it in my opinion.
    It's so easy, in fact, that a bot could probably be written to do it and how would anyone even know?
The sooner we get rid of the Hutton Orbital thing, the better off the game will be.

So, @NyanTurian - I'm in favour of your suggestion, and any other suggestion that improves on the current (boring) SuperCruise mechanic.

Top Bottom