Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

So, I tried this last night and I must say that the first effort was very disappointing and I noticed no change.

For future reference for others, don't copy the 3Dmigoto files over when you are also updating E: D. At the end of the update, E: D seems to do some file check, and deletes the extra files. :)

Once I'd realised this, I restored 3Dmigoto, and adjusted the .ini just to get rid of the speed lines and interstellar dust. Worked perfectly.

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!

I've figured out how to map shaders to keys, so can now toggle on and off shaders.

Here is an example for turning the HUD on and off :-

Code:
; Variables must be declared here (so put this at the top!)
[Constants]
global $toggleHUD = 0.0
; hud is off by default.

; This section changes vars on keyboard actions (here ALT-H changes var $toggleHUD)
[keyToggleHUDOn]
Key = alt h
$toggleHUD = 1

[keyToggleHUDOff]
Key = ctrl h
$toggleHUD = 0

….

….

; Now in the shader section
; Remove all "outside" HUD elements...
;
[ShaderOverrideHUD]
Hash=74a61bc54382d4d9
if $toggleHUD == 0 ; edit was 1!
    Handling=skip
endif

Pretty simple and easy in the end.

So the above example allows the hud to be turned off with ctrl-h and turned back on again with alt-h.

I'm not going to do keys for them all as only some stuff needs to be a toggle, but I think you can see the general gist of how to do it.
p.s. It works with the Oculus keyboard.

Last edited:
Nice work @ifthisworks

With a small tweak you can use the same key as the toggle:

Code:
; Variables must be declared here (so put this at the top!)
[Constants]
global $toggleHUD = 0.0
; hud is on by default.

[keyToggleHUD]
Key = VK_NUMPAD0
run = CommandListT

[CommandListT]
$toggleHUD = 1-$toggleHUD

;...  ...  ...
; Old Duck's other shader mods
;...  ...  ...

; Remove all "outside" HUD elements - circles around planets, labels, etc. It makes looking out
; the window feel just like that. This means you'll need to rely on your instruments, and aiming
; fixed weapons will be very difficult!
; NOTE - two shaders affect this, 74a61bc54382d4d9 and e61a98e9d493cdea (the latter retains glass)
[ShaderOverrideCanopyHUD]
;Hash=74a61bc54382d4d9
Hash=e61a98e9d493cdea
if $toggleHUD == 1
    Handling=skip
endif

; Remove the "speed lines" on each side of the cockpit when in Supercruise
[ShaderOverrideSpeedLines]
Hash=89fe00881332dc43
if $toggleHUD == 1
    Handling=skip
endif

; Disable HUD "sidelines"
[ShaderOverrideUselessHUDLines]
Hash=178045604e0b329c
if $toggleHUD == 1
    Handling=skip
endif

;...  ...  ...
; etc
;...  ...  ...
Tested on flat monitor rather than in VR. That was a miserable experience.

I set the key to numpad 0 as it is easy to grope for in VR. I suppose it is mapped to some existing function but I don't know what it is.
I am now toying with the idea of using JoyToKey to map this to a HOTAS button combo. Space does look quite good without nav info ringing every planet and moon.

Last edited:
Oi, you people are brilliant! Excellent work :D

I'll play with this code over the next few days and then update my original file accordingly. I look forward to being able to easily toggle off my cockpit lights when exploring or mining!

Great stuff. I'll add toggles to the shaders so that I can see what they do. :) I like the ones I've enabled so far, but haven't tried many as I didn't fancy a session of changing settings and restarting the game. This will be a much better way to experiment.

I have modified the original d3dx file to include toggle switches for the HUD and interior lights using the F1 and F2 keys. The code should be clear enough to allow anyone to modify and replicate toggles for any of the other filters. Thanks again to @ifthisworks and @Slowfiddler - excellent work!

Now your next assignment is to figure out how to reduce the intensity of a particular shader without actually reverse-engineering the shader itself. I would be happy if I could dial down the galactic space dust / core / nebula by 80-90%, so bright nebula and the core are barely visible and the rest of the dust is faded to black. I would also dim my interior lights without turning them off completely. On the other side of the scale, I would likely crank up the sunshine, as most stars are just too dark.

In the original original thread, before the one you reference in the OP, CMDR Furrycat came up with some code to change the space dust color and intensity. Perhaps it will give you a clue about how to turn down certain effects without eliminating them entirely.

Here's a link to his post, in the old thread:

In the original original thread, before the one you reference in the OP, CMDR Furrycat came up with some code to change the space dust color and intensity.
Look at all the fun stuff I missed back when I was on PS4! I had no idea there was a thread before the thread. Well, that's okay, as I've enjoyed the journey of discovering all this stuff myself.

Speaking of, I just applied the PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled = 0 setting the main config file (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/new-lighting.468728/page-4#post-7299680) and combined with the black sky and black shadow mods, this is exactly what I'm looking for! I'll be commenting further on why over in this thread:

Here are a couple of images from the dark side of a planet using the OLD (pre-tint) lighting system, combined with the modifications in OP:

darkside 2.jpg

darkside 1.jpg

Here are a couple shots taken from a station close to the parent star. Notice how the very black space, devoid of most stars (by setting PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled to 0), makes the station, sun, and light side of the planet feel properly bright. Framing is as important as the image itself. Now I actually feel I'm close to the sun, something missing when the stars were all bright regardless of distance to the sun.

close to sun.jpg

close to sun 2.jpg

I realize this is a personal preference, but "personally" I absolutely love it this way!

Agreed, it looks great. It is interesting to see the dimmer stars come slowly into view as you move away from the star. The galaxy does become very bright but is still difficult to see when close to the star - as it should be. Space also looks "colder" somehow.

FDev should not only keep this lighting balances setting but should also add it as a setting in the graphics options. You reading this FDev?

Agreed, it looks great. It is interesting to see the dimmer stars come slowly into view as you move away from the star. The galaxy does become very bright but is still difficult to see when close to the star - as it should be. Space also looks "colder" somehow.

FDev should not only keep this lighting balances setting but should also add it as a setting in the graphics options. You reading this FDev?
I'm kinda terrified that they'll see this and remove the setting entirely. For right now I'm very thankful that I can change it at all, even if it does require some digging and tweaking. Having come from PS4 where we had literally NO options, the ability to customize the appearance like this is a godsend!

Hi,

Have installed this and really like the options - a big step forward from the Hide Stardust mod.
However I am getting a load error when I try the toggle commands - all OK when I strip them out of the .ini

20200128_234242 (1).jpg

Any ideas?

Sorry for bad image - had to use phone :)

MP

You need to post the ini file. There are obviously errors in it. Post using the code tag.

Did you edit the ini file yourself? I have had script problems in the past where the lines ended with a Windows CR/LF rather than just a UNIX LF.

Last edited:
Apologies for the late reply - RL got in the way :)

You need to post the ini file. There are obviously errors in it. Post using the code tag.

Did you edit the ini file yourself? I have had script problems in the past where the lines ended with a Windows CR/LF rather than just a UNIX LF.

No: was with the "stock" .ini downloaded.
I subsequently edited out the [Constants] section and the hash sections that corresponded to the error message - all was fine.

I just re-uploaded the d3dx file using the one I'm playing off of (verified to work). Try installing it again (just this one file). If you are editing it in any way, be careful what you comment out.

Downloaded again from first post and had exactly the same errors. It's no biggie as I can edit in/out what I don't want, but seem unable to use the toggles.

Thanks for your help

MP

Downloaded again from first post and had exactly the same errors. It's no biggie as I can edit in/out what I don't want, but seem unable to use the toggles.
I suspect you downloaded an older version of 3DMigoto, one that doesn't have the advanced toggling features. The latest version is 1.3.16.

Top Bottom