Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

If you close your eyes when you engage supercruise assist you won't see the alert.
f8deef878867dee11b7a15a0a55765b4.jpg

Yes, I guess I'll use Elite's. Is there a way to change the output folder and file type? (Sorry for hijacking the thread)
Not within ED, AFAIK.
But some time ago I used this little tool
Later I used ED Discovery which is (next to all the other awesome stuff) able to convert your screens aswell...

Btt: nice work, Old Duck. Let's try to get the elephant butt leather back with your Mod :D

You can program more than one key to toggle specific overrides. For example, I usually fly with my external HUD icons turned off, but I need the HUD shaders on for when I use the FSS. My plan is to map the toggle for this to my FSS key, so that entering the FSS automatically turns on the HUD shader and exiting turns it back off again. I will still keep my original toggle button mapped, since I do like being able to access the HUD in certain non-FSS situations, like combat and mining.

In other news, I probably won't be updating this thread much in the future unless there is a special request, and even then it may take me some time to respond. Send me a direct message if you really want to get my attention.

@Old Duck , first of all, thanks for this mod! Really!

It solved the brightness issue for my Krait most of all, but also as a bonus I can turn of lights of any cockpit to sit quietly and enjoy the darkness of space. I now only turn the cockpit lights on when about to dock and lights off when leaving station. Super immersive. :)

I have one question about the local dust and galactic core setting. I am currently on a long voyage. While I enjoy the total darkness, I realized that it also removed the Nebulas even when I am really inside of one. I cant even see the nebula from distance as I approach it within few jumps.
Also we can somewhat see the galactic core realistically such as this picture taken from earth?
cook-forest-milkyway.jpg

Is there a way to not fully turn off the core? I am assuming even when I am super close to the core I wont even see it due to this mod setting? By the way I commented out the 3 lines that handles the dust/core and I can see the core as intended with default ED.

Well done, I really like it on my Rift S. Improves things a lot but now I REALLY want to order a Pimax 5K XR which is OLED so I can really have the blacks to do it justice.

Thank you for making this mod. Just found out about it on Obsidian's latest vid today.

Wondering if there is any way of using this mod with the galactic core and dust turned on. Specifically, I'm only interested in turning off the "snow" while flying in normal space (would be nice to remove the snow while in supercruise as well).

Without any environmental light pollution around, even on the surface of Earth one can quite clearly see the galactic accretion and core - and even faintly make out the Orion nebula with the naked eye - after about 30 minutes/1 hour of vision adjustment. Anyone who's spent months at a time at sea will tell you that on clear nights (especially with no Venus, Jupiter, Mars, or no moon in view) the sky becomes absolutely saturated with stars from horizon to horizon. The galactic core and accretion sticks out very conspicuously. It's actually kinda frightening to witness for the first time, being aware of exactly what you're looking at! You can almost read a book by the light produced, the view becomes so brilliant. The picture that Christian_A_Hill posts gives some idea but doesn't do the experience justice at all. No picture can.

Given the clarity of such visual experiences as viewed from Earth, I could only imagine the view from deep space itself. It'd be nice to not have that removed. However, once one gets close to very bright objects like stars and star-shone planets then the details in the background would be overwhelmed and diminish - but that would be a function of exposure (as in adjustable camera exposure - something ED doesn't model, apparently).

Again, thanks for the mod.

Last edited:
Yes. Open the d3dx.ini file.
Comment out these lines:
Code:
; Make space BLACK by removing interstellar dust and galactic core. Very good for IRL skybox.
;[ShaderOverrideInterstellarDust]
;Hash=4db942934cad0b29
;Handling=skip

Uncomment these:
Code:
; Remove the particles that move past the ship when in normal flight
[ShaderOverrideSnow]
Hash=06b5574cbb67cb5c
Handling=skip

; Turn off Supercruise "dust"
[ShaderOverrideWarp]
Hash=13c7cd6955a2b95e
Handling=skip

However, once one gets close to very bright objects like stars and star-shone planets then the details in the background would be overwhelmed and diminish - but that would be a function of exposure (as in adjustable camera exposure - something ED doesn't model, apparently)
Find your GraphicsConfiguration.xml file (ED home directory I think) and change this line as follows (line 21 in the file):
Code:
<PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled>0</PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled>

Last edited:
Find your GraphicsConfiguration.xml file (ED home directory I think) and change this line as follows (line 21 in the file):
Code:
<PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled>0</PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled>

Thank you.

As for the graphics configuration xml file, it is located at ...Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics. Using the Steam version (for better or worse.....). However, this was all that was in the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<GraphicsConfig />

Nvm, I looked in the AppData folder like an idiot, hurr-durr... ( o__O)

Last edited:
This mod is gorgeous!

Is it possible to remove the colored clouds/nebulae from hyperspace? Jumping between systems? If it left the stars, it would look a lot more like Star Trek/Star Wars. I would pay dearly for this.

Apologies if this came up already in this super-long thread.

, making the dark side of objects (stations, outposts, ships, landable planets) black as night. This is more realistic to how shadows look in the empty void of space when there are no sources of reflected light like planetshine.

Just curious....how do you know this? Your claim implies that you know how this should look....have you been?

Dear Turd.

I think what Old Duck really means is with planets with no atmospheres, there is no refraction of light through the atmosphere, so shadow lines will be sharp and light and dark separated.

Of course there is relected light from other planets.

Thank you for making this mod. Just found out about it on Obsidian's latest vid today.

Wondering if there is any way of using this mod with the galactic core and dust turned on. Specifically, I'm only interested in turning off the "snow" while flying in normal space (would be nice to remove the snow while in supercruise as well).

Without any environmental light pollution around, even on the surface of Earth one can quite clearly see the galactic accretion and core - and even faintly make out the Orion nebula with the naked eye - after about 30 minutes/1 hour of vision adjustment. Anyone who's spent months at a time at sea will tell you that on clear nights (especially with no Venus, Jupiter, Mars, or no moon in view) the sky becomes absolutely saturated with stars from horizon to horizon. The galactic core and accretion sticks out very conspicuously. It's actually kinda frightening to witness for the first time, being aware of exactly what you're looking at! You can almost read a book by the light produced, the view becomes so brilliant. The picture that Christian_A_Hill posts gives some idea but doesn't do the experience justice at all. No picture can.

Given the clarity of such visual experiences as viewed from Earth, I could only imagine the view from deep space itself. It'd be nice to not have that removed. However, once one gets close to very bright objects like stars and star-shone planets then the details in the background would be overwhelmed and diminish - but that would be a function of exposure (as in adjustable camera exposure - something ED doesn't model, apparently).

Again, thanks for the mod.

@Old Duck , first of all, thanks for this mod! Really!

It solved the brightness issue for my Krait most of all, but also as a bonus I can turn of lights of any cockpit to sit quietly and enjoy the darkness of space. I now only turn the cockpit lights on when about to dock and lights off when leaving station. Super immersive. :)

I have one question about the local dust and galactic core setting. I am currently on a long voyage. While I enjoy the total darkness, I realized that it also removed the Nebulas even when I am really inside of one. I cant even see the nebula from distance as I approach it within few jumps.
Also we can somewhat see the galactic core realistically such as this picture taken from earth?
View attachment 165043

Is there a way to not fully turn off the core? I am assuming even when I am super close to the core I wont even see it due to this mod setting? By the way I commented out the 3 lines that handles the dust/core and I can see the core as intended with default ED.
I would love to have a "proper" galactic core as seen from my own back yard here in rural America, rather than the ugly brown thing we currently have in ED, but unfortunately I've not found out any way to provide this. In theory it might be possible to "reshade" a specific shader using this mod, but that likely requires reverse-engineering and advanced shader programming experience, something I do not have.

One option I've considered for myself is tying the black sky filter to the cockpit light filter. The idea is that if you turn off your cockpit lights, your eyes will adjust (instantly) to allow you to see nebula and other things. It's a hack, obviously, but it would make for an easy toggle that is somewhat "logical" in how it works. You would just need to modify the code like this:
Code:
[ShaderOverrideInterstellarDust]
Hash=4db942934cad0b29
if $showInteriorLights == 1
  Handling=skip
endif
For those unaware, I'm pretty much done with this forum, at least until the next major update. I only logged in today to answer a couple of questions related to this thread. There are others who contributed to this mod who can answer most of the "How do I __?" questions on my behalf. If you have a serious question that nobody else can answer, direct message me and eventually I'll respond.

I would love to have a "proper" galactic core as seen from my own back yard here in rural America, rather than the ugly brown thing we currently have in ED, but unfortunately I've not found out any way to provide this. In theory it might be possible to "reshade" a specific shader using this mod, but that likely requires reverse-engineering and advanced shader programming experience, something I do not have.

One option I've considered for myself is tying the black sky filter to the cockpit light filter. The idea is that if you turn off your cockpit lights, your eyes will adjust (instantly) to allow you to see nebula and other things. It's a hack, obviously, but it would make for an easy toggle that is somewhat "logical" in how it works. You would just need to modify the code like this:
Code:
[ShaderOverrideInterstellarDust]
Hash=4db942934cad0b29
if $showInteriorLights == 1
  Handling=skip
endif
For those unaware, I'm pretty much done with this forum, at least until the next major update. I only logged in today to answer a couple of questions related to this thread. There are others who contributed to this mod who can answer most of the "How do I __?" questions on my behalf. If you have a serious question that nobody else can answer, direct message me and eventually I'll respond.

I thought you’d disappeared, was concerned. Glad to see you again!

Top Bottom