Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

First off, I need to give credit to CMDR AD for his initial work in this field, as detailed in his original thread located here. He is the giant whose shoulders I stand upon. Continuing his work, I have further modded Elite Dangerous to provide the following changes:
  • BLACK Space - That's right, space is now BLACK. The clouds of interstellar dust have been removed. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how realistic you want space to mirror the night sky you see IRL, this also removes the galactic core and the few distant galaxies normally visible. All stars, however, are clearly visible. If you normally operate in the Bubble, you may appreciate the black and realistic night sky over the default. If you're an explorer, you may wish to disable this particular option. See the thread below for screenshots (in particular post #16).
  • BLACK Shadows (TOGGLE) - A perfect complement to the black sky is black shadows. This modification removes ambient light from space, making the dark side of objects (stations, outposts, ships, landable planets) black as night. This is more realistic to how shadows look in the empty void of space when there are no sources of reflected light like planetshine. Don't worry, it looks better than I make it sound. Think of is as HDR Mode. This feature is can be turned on and off with the F3 key.
  • No External HUD Elements (TOGGLE)- All circles and labels around planets and ships are disabled, making it feel like you're looking outside a simple glass window. I find this much more immersive, but it also adds a challenge as you'll need to use your cockpit HUD (radar, compass, etc) to navigate. It will also make combat much more challenging without the targeting reticles. Not for the faint of heart, but for those desiring an immersive world outside your spaceship along with the challenge of IFR flight, this mod is for you! Also disabled is the blue "TRON" glow around mapped planets along with the bright, crazy "comet trails" for ships in Supercruise. Toggle with F1 key.
  • Turn Off Cockpit Lights (TOGGLE) - If you want a dark cockpit, or you are annoyed by those flashing red lights, you can now turn these lights off. The side effect is that some station lights will also turn off, so I recommend this for miners and explorers. Toggle with F2 key.
  • Cleaner HUD - Normally our instrument HUD and side-panels have a "drop shadow" behind them, which this mod removes. The result is a cleaner look that doesn't block your view, but it may be harder to read the side panels in certain bright locations. I've also removed those lines that do nothing but clutter the view.
  • Space Snow Removed - The "snow" in space and the blizzards over planets have been removed. However I have retained the "flying warp stars" effect in Supercruise. Like all modifications, you can turn off this mod to keep the "space snow" in the game if you depend on it for your vectors.
  • Cockpit Smoke Removed - No more fires in the cockpit when your ship is only at 80% heat. This also removes smoke in certain places inside the stations, but not others. For example, humidity still can be seen coming from overhead vents, but the mailslot is no longer boiling with smoke.
The way this mod works is that it intercepts calls to Windows graphics subsystem, allowing certain pixel shaders to be turned off. It does not replace or change any of ED's files, rather it adds some new files which ED will use when present. AFAIK this is in accordance with Frontier's EULA, as it's not changing the game files in any way, nor does it allow or promote cheating in any way that I can imagine. If anything, it makes the game HARDER to play, but in a way us realism nuts will enjoy.

The program you need is called 3Dmigoto. Click the name to download the file (version 1.3.16). Extract the file and then copy the CONTENTS of the x64 directory to your elite-dangerous-64 directory (in my case this is found at D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64). Next you need to download the d3dx.txt I've attached to this post, rename it to d3dx.ini, and save it to the elite-dangerous-64 directory, replacing the one that comes with 3Dmigoto. That should do the trick! To disable any particular modification, just insert a semicolon ( ; ) in front of the 3 lines of code for that specific mod, thus commenting it out and turning it off.

I highly recommend setting PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled to 0 and StarInstanceCount to 10000 in your GraphicsConfiguration.xml file (or add these entries to your override file) to compliment this mod.

DISCLAIMER - Whatever you do, you do of your own accord. If your computer catches fire and your Arx disappear and Stigbob knocks on your door demanding cookies, I am not responsible! Blame TJ, or better yet, don't blame anyone. AFAIK there is no risk, but a prudent person would research all of this before installing "alien" software on his/her computer.

NOTE - If you want things like haze in stations removed, see CMDR AD's original mod as linked above. You can copy-n-paste settings from his .ini file to mine to remove haze, "warp stars", etc. Speaking of removing haze, it looks a lot better IMO to remove haze using the game's built-in settings (effects) than this mod.
More laymen fdevs doing more than frontier.....Classic!

Going to quote myself here :) - in this new version, how would I remove the side lights from the AspX (just these lights, not the entire HUD)? The existing "cockpit lights" shader (8330ab10a104d1b1) doesn't quite seem to cut it, unfortunately.
I'll look into it sometime. You're not the first one to ask about this, but for most of the summer I was in deep space away from any shipyard (I don't own the Asp myself).

I cant get this to work. I get malformed line errors, unrecognized parameters, etc. and nothing woks. F!-F3 does nothing.

So far ive tried evry single mod like this for Elite, none work. I guess FD changed things enough recently that broke all these mods, Ill have to get the word out.

I actually got it to work, had wrong version of the program.

Question: Is it possible to get the clean canopy look while still being able to see the external targeting reticules and such?

Does anyone know which shader is used to disable the whole HUD (including the panels)? In the game this can be turned on and off with 'ctrl alt g', but I want to include it in the *.ini file so that the cockpit is 'off' when the game starts.

Any idea?

Last edited:
Does anyone know which shader is used to disable the whole HUD (including the panels)? In the game this can be turned on and off with 'ctrl alt g', but I want to include it in the *.ini file so that the cockpit is 'off' when the game starts.

As far as I know there isn't 'one shader to rule them all'

f6f4895ec35cc873 turns off most things on the HUD, including the panels. But you'll still need to turn off the Own Ship Hologram, Target Hologram and the radar elements. If you find all those bits and pieces you could have them set to off when you load in, and then press a key to activate them all simultaneously

Any idea?
This is build into the latest update (a page or two back). It's the third toggle on the F1 switch. Just change the global HUD variable to default to everything off.

This is build into the latest update (a page or two back). It's the third toggle on the F1 switch. Just change the global HUD variable to default to everything off.

Frack... I missed page 41... :oops: - thanks Old Duck for the hint - exactly what I was looking for, perfect!

I now have two setups, one for VR and one for FS - what more could you want?

See you out there (and maybe in springtime also 'in there' ;))

Cmdr Decus Crux

As far as I know there isn't 'one shader to rule them all'

f6f4895ec35cc873 turns off most things on the HUD, including the panels. But you'll still need to turn off the Own Ship Hologram, Target Hologram and the radar elements. If you find all those bits and pieces you could have them set to off when you load in, and then press a key to activate them all simultaneously
Damn, still can't find the hash for the radar chevrons around targeted objects, the zoom slider or most of the SRV radar elements. So close. =D

Damn, still can't find the hash for the radar chevrons around targeted objects, the zoom slider or most of the SRV radar elements. So close. =D

That's a good point about the target chevron, had totally missed that

Target Chevron
a21b8e41ec493648

Radar Zoom widget - is that the one you mean?
a3c2d4187e44e72c

Also, I should add a few notes about f6f4895ec35cc873 (the multi-element HUD shader)

It changes / swaps according to the materials quality setting.

At Med (and sometimes High) you'll find the same shader at
0d5457b8319da235

And for Low quality materials it becomes
fb1851691797d2a6

And when taking damage, it randomly becomes
4ed9bdc658a034d0

EDIT: I nearly forgot, in the Elite graphics options, if the player sets
DISABLE GUI EFFECTS = ON

Then it will load yet another version of this shader, dcf4442f0c926aae

Hence, this shader is nicknamed the PITA shader

I haven't done much with the SRV yet .. to be honest I'm a bit scared to look :) A new can of worms

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Is there a complete HOW-TO anywhere? I installed to the best of my knowledge. Got the HUD and interior lights options working. But I'm still seeing space dust in the core and snow when in supercruise. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

That's a good point about the target chevron, had totally missed that

Target Chevron
a21b8e41ec493648

Radar Zoom widget - is that the one you mean?
a3c2d4187e44e72c

Also, I should add a few notes about f6f4895ec35cc873 (the multi-element HUD shader)

It changes / swaps according to the materials quality setting.

At Med (and sometimes High) you'll find the same shader at
0d5457b8319da235

And for Low quality materials it becomes
fb1851691797d2a6

And when taking damage, it randomly becomes
4ed9bdc658a034d0

EDIT: I nearly forgot, in the Elite graphics options, if the player sets
DISABLE GUI EFFECTS = ON

Then it will load yet another version of this shader, dcf4442f0c926aae

Hence, this shader is nicknamed the PITA shader

I haven't done much with the SRV yet .. to be honest I'm a bit scared to look :) A new can of worms
That is indeed the one for that zoom widget. Thank you.

The SRV is a whole new can of worms indeed. There are a lot of hashes that work in the ship that don't carry over into the srv. Even elements (like the terrain appearing at low elevations or the landing pad) that aren't even an issue most of the time. It's unfortunate but that's the game we play. :cool: I enjoy playing with all these shaders and mods.

The SRV is a whole new can of worms indeed. There are a lot of hashes that work in the ship that don't carry over into the srv. Even elements (like the terrain appearing at low elevations or the landing pad) that aren't even an issue most of the time. It's unfortunate but that's the game we play. :cool: I enjoy playing with all these shaders and mods.

Yeah me too, it's like a complex puzzle you assemble in your mind and then see the results on the screen

I was just in my SRV a few moments ago, and the part of the radar that shows your elevation is 7cf9cfa0f016b2b0 .. well, I think that's the one you mean .. the diagonal lines that show the underground area?

The landing coaster is 71d9a779e90e46a1, landing distance line is 169f3d42070f42f8, and the landing pad target thingy is 927f01581186fdb6. I only just found these today so I'm not sure if they're linked to other elements. The rest of the holographic landing pad seems linked to the OwnShip hologram

What sort of mod are you working on?

I have the mod installed and use some of the options regularly now: Hud targeting elements off, darker blacks, and interior/acc lights off. What I really want is the ability to toggle every element of the display (even better to change their colors too). My primary need is to be able to toggle the vertical bars on/off when in analysis mode. Possible now? Is so what do I add to the override file?

I'm also waiting to see if Frontier says anything. So far, nothing. In fact, a very old thread from 2016 popped up recently where somebody else posted actual shaders (to get rid of dust) and it seems Frontier was fine with that. I'll take no news as good news.

Hi Old Duck and Immersion mod gang, I wanted to share with you a statement from FDev via CMDR Exigeous who recently asked his FDev contacts about modding with 3Dmigoto. This is their reply
Code:
---------------
Thanks for waiting so patiently whilst we got back to you.

Whilst we cannot officially support or condone the use of this tool as you say, 
it does seem pretty simple and the use of this tool will not cause an account to be restricted.

This may change in the future of course if the tool goes under significant changes so that it 
alters gameplay or provides an advantage to players using it, but for now it is safe to use.

With this information in mind I may include a disclaimer if you do make a YouTube video about this tool.
--------------

I think we're fine as long as no-one modifies anything that might provide an advantage to players, and I think it goes without saying that we don't mod anything ARX related.

The reason I encode all the files in my mod is to reduce the likelihood the techniques will be used for 'unethical modding' (which will lead to migoto getting blocked), but that being said I'm happy to collaborate with anyone who is dedicated to making the game look better in a 'Frontier friendly' way

o7

So this happened when I installed the plugin ...
Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) 10_9_2020 5_52_23 PM.png

Top Bottom