AMD RX 6000 series driver issues & workarounds

I'm still expirencing the crashes even after U14 so while they have fixed the teal thing, approaching a planet still crashes 6600 cards

-edit-

the vulcan work around isn't even working for me anymore

The crashes you're experiencing likely aren't due to this issue.

Try completely clearing the shader caches.

I get orange sidewinder errors when trying to enter an atmosphere with the latest AMD drivers - I had to roll back to the old version to play. This is the same in Update 14 (as it was in 13).

I get orange sidewinder errors when trying to enter an atmosphere with the latest AMD drivers - I had to roll back to the old version to play. This is the same in Update 14 (as it was in 13).

The Orange Sidewinder crash when entering atmosphere should have been fixed in 22.10.3. If not, you should still be able to disable double precision floats in the AppConfig.xml...which is much faster than swapping drivers.

No issues with the atmosphere, just chewed-up-looking landable planets, which is still a thing in VR.
I will retry the workarounds again. Maybe this time they'll work. There's a bit of a performance boost even under the older 22.5.1 driver.

No issues with the atmosphere, just chewed-up-looking landable planets, which is still a thing in VR.

Oh, so it looks like I am having the same problem in VR: planets look like a 3d puzzle put together by a mad man.

Do you know if it is related to rx6000 series graphic cards only? Did you find any planet you could land on which was not affected by this bug?

I tried to find a bug report at:
but when searching for "VR" I could not find anything that resembles this issue. If it was not reported yet then maybe we should do this and make sure it is visible...

but when searching for "VR" I could not find anything that resembles this issue. If it was not reported yet then maybe we should do this and make sure it is visible...
If this is VR only, it might get a low priority :(
But if you could take a screenshot or two (I forgot so far to post), it might be worth it to post in one of the update 14 threads (although IIRC I also saw that before update 14) and ping sallymorganmoore.

If this is VR only, it might get a low priority :(
But if you could take a screenshot or two (I forgot so far to post), it might be worth it to post in one of the update 14 threads (although IIRC I also saw that before update 14) and ping sallymorganmoore.
Hello all. New here, and new'ish ED player. I have noticed the same exact issue in VR. I have an all AMD rig, including a PowerColor RX6900XT Ultimate GPU. I'm running the latest AMD drivers (22.11.2 atm). I have a screen pic. It's attached below

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-09 013106.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-09 013106.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 76
Hello all. New here, and new'ish ED player. I have noticed the same exact issue in VR. I have an all AMD rig, including a PowerColor RX6900XT Ultimate GPU. I'm running the latest AMD drivers (22.11.2 atm). I have a screen pic. It's attached below
Try steps 2-6 from this, no need to put any workarounds in since the issues are not linked like that:
Excuse the double post.

Was very easy to see if terrain generation was broken at bletones 2 a for me affected area has been in the light the whole time I tested.

I went through all permutations of fma on/off and terrainshaderreplacement in the borked state. changes nothing.
Only difference there is when replacing the terrainshaders, it loads a little longer at the planetary generation phase before the main menu because its recalculating something from anew because the shader changed. which is totally expected. It just doesn't take as long as generating a completely new gpuworktable from scratch.

I then just removed the gpu worktable and started the generation of the new one in steam vr mode and it's still borked.
Then I forgot that I didn't clear the shader chache. clear both started in vr first. no change still borked.

Then I did clear shader cache again and deleted gpuworktable. but had permitnativedoubles set to true (to try to retrace back the steps that seemed to fix it for me the first time.)
Still borked on the first start in vr, went to get my orange sidewinder by trying to land.
set permitnativedoubles to false
Still borked on the first start in vr, went to get my orange sidewinder by trying to land.

Full steps I took to fix it.
Tried to again recreate the situation I had in the first post to the letter.
start in nonvr first (fixes and everything as decribed in my edhm method, cleared shader cache and deleted gpuworktable before that start.)
planet is looking fine in non vr.
Went to vr to see the state of my initial post. it didn't look like the first problem just like a texture is missing for a quarter of the planet.

set permitnativedoubles="true" restart in vr. and get the orange sidewinder
set permitnativedoubles="false" restart in vr. still borked went to try to land.
hmmm... still no change probably all useless what I did before? the steps that I tried for 3 slight different vairiation seem useless.

went close to the surface near bugged area. logged out close to the surface
deleted gpuworktable (no shader cache cleaning.)
restarted in vr
I see terrain where there was none before!

Then was unable to find any problems with bletones 2 a or any other landable planet thin atmosphere or not.

@TomCatT would be nice if you'd try the steps below. To see if it fixes it for you aswell.
Fix for vr should be:
  1. with the workaround in place start vr and see that the planet are borked (if its not borked or you're not playing in vr anyway, you're fine go play)
  2. try to land or get as close as possible to borked area in vr (just bonk it gently at 2.4Mm or whatever your equivalent may be so that the shield got taken down a notch to be really sure. but its probably enough to properly finishing the glide phase)
  3. log out just a few meters before surface (best close everything part of elite dangerous)
  4. delete gpuworktable.xml
  5. restart in vr.
  6. Planet surface should have reappeared.
Again some steps from this list might be not important, but best to just retrace these steps. steps that I omitted from my full steps in the spoiler above didn't seem to change anything.

Edit added some screenshots in the full steps spoilers showing the state of bletones 2 a at certain steps.

Once planet surfaces are fixed be sure to open the game in VR mode first upon the next update. Since it seemed that what promted it to not work was it having a brand new start on desktop mode, though when starting in vr first I had to try and force it get into the jumbled up state. It kinda seems that this issue is not linked to the amd drivers specifically, as I remember it happening way back with Horizons.

Try steps 2-6 from this, no need to put any workarounds in since the issues are not linked like that:

Once planet surfaces are fixed be sure to open the game in VR mode first upon the next update. Since it seemed that what promted it to not work was it having a brand new start on desktop mode, though when starting in vr first I had to try and force it get into the jumbled up state. It kinda seems that this issue is not linked to the amd drivers specifically, as I remember it happening way back with Horizons.
I appreciate the reply, and the help. I am coming into this thread late, so I apologize. When you say in the last part of "how to fix it". Step 1 says "with the workaround in place". Is this "workaround" a prerequisite? If it's listed elsewhere, can you direct me to it, or describe the workaround? Sorry, I feel needy asking. Just don't want to take any steps backwards by guessing. I have zero experience with editing any of the ED specific files, or what needs to be deleted, or cleared. So i'm coming into this with complete noob eyes.

Thanks

I appreciate the reply, and the help. I am coming into this thread late, so I apologize. When you say in the last part of "how to fix it". Step 1 says "with the workaround in place". Is this "workaround" a prerequisite? If it's listed elsewhere, can you direct me to it, or describe the workaround? Sorry, I feel needy asking. Just don't want to take any steps backwards by guessing. I have zero experience with editing any of the ED specific files, or what needs to be deleted, or cleared. So i'm coming into this with complete noob eyes.

Thanks
The workaround mentioned there was workaround #2 from the very first post, which isn't needed anymore since that issue that this workaround solved got a proper fix with update 14. It is not needed thats why I mentioned to skip the first step.
The remaining steps are just:
  • try to land or get as close as possible to borked area in vr (just bonk it gently at 2.4Mm or whatever your equivalent may be so that the shield got taken down a notch to be really sure. but its probably enough to properly finishing the glide phase)
  • log out just a few meters before surface (best close everything part of elite dangerous)
  • delete gpuworktable.xml
  • restart in vr.
  • Planet surface should have reappeared.
And for later:
  • on the next update start the game in vr first.

The workaround mentioned there was workaround #2 from the very first post, which isn't needed anymore since that issue that this workaround solved got a proper fix with update 14. It is not needed thats why I mentioned to skip the first step.
The remaining steps are just:
  • try to land or get as close as possible to borked area in vr (just bonk it gently at 2.4Mm or whatever your equivalent may be so that the shield got taken down a notch to be really sure. but its probably enough to properly finishing the glide phase)
  • log out just a few meters before surface (best close everything part of elite dangerous)
  • restart in vr.
  • Planet surface should have reappeared.
And for later:
  • on the next update start the game in vr first.
Thanks for the patience. I got it now :). I'll give it a try tomorrow and get back here to let you know how it turned out. Thanks again.

• restart in vr.
  • Planet surface should have reappeared
Dumb question though: does it fix the the planet generation problem for both VR and regular modes? Or does it mean it is fixed for VR but could make it broken for a regular mode instead?

Created a ticket for this: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/56183

Hmmm... I'll give it a try. I don't think, though, that this is related to starting up in pancake mode. With me and (at least) one other CMDR, the issue appeared even though none of us ever play in pancake. The issue also disappeared again, only to reappear for me yetserday evening when I tried to grab a Guardian Module Blueprint. It's somewhat difficult to land at a Guardian Structure if that structure is 40 km distant, the planet's surface 2 Mm distant and you were just dropped out of glide because you were approaching the surface (which was the usual ~20 km distance in Glide).

uoSwLrO.jpg

I didn't attempt to approach the structure in real space - I'm in a paperhull Dolphin right now, I don't think it'll survive even a gentle nose bump with an invisible planet.

Bavald,

I tried your suggestions and it worked! It's not 100%, but I can see and land on planets now in Odyssey and legacy ED, for when I'm playing with some friends. Horizons seems to be attached to the Odyssey gpu file, but doesnt apply it the same, but the improvement is enough to play with till Frontier or AMD put some effort into this. Won't hold my breath, but at least I have a workaround now to keep playing. THANK YOU!! :)

The planet rendering issues have been solved for my AMD RX6950XT graphics card. All I did was uninstall the graphics driver and then install the earlier driver 22.5.1 The only remaining issue is that the orbit lines are still too thin in VR. A simple workaround to make them more visible is to tilt my head by 5 degrees, either left or right while in VR, and then the orbit lines jump into view.

Last edited:
Dumb question though: does it fix the the planet generation problem for both VR and regular modes? Or does it mean it is fixed for VR but could make it broken for a regular mode instead?
Sadly no. Just recreates the problem.
I did have the latest driver working one time until I went to land on a planet with an atmosphere. Crashed in OC, restarted, and everything went back to square one. It almost gave me hope that it was the planet with an atmosphere and that the other landables were fine.

Back to the drawing board.

Top Bottom