AMD RX 6000 series driver issues & workarounds

I tried 23.2.1 (without VR) and observed the oddities with the orbit and gravity lines were still there - meaning the gravity lines tend to break / disappear when they are positioned exactly horizontally or exactly vertically, and the orbit lines are very faint.

That has been an issue since the release of the RX 6000 series two years ago. For whatever reason, single pixel lines, especially on overlay type effects, have never been anti-aliased correctly in this game, on these parts.

I tried 23.2.1 (without VR) and observed the oddities with the orbit and gravity lines were still there - meaning the gravity lines tend to break / disappear when they are positioned exactly horizontally or exactly vertically, and the orbit lines are very faint.
  • Installed 23.2.1 over the 22.11.2 - in place upgrade.
  • Rebooted
  • Launched Odyssey and it rebuilt whatever it does upon startup when it detects a new driver has been installed
  • Tested - in space only, haven't landed yet
This is still the only anomaly I've observed in EDO going from NVidia to AMD 6900XT just a few months ago (I do not run in VR). Will update this as I land and test on foot.

That has been an issue since the release of the RX 6000 series two years ago. For whatever reason, single pixel lines, especially on overlay type effects, have never been anti-aliased correctly in this game, on these parts.
Yeah, I wish this would get fixed. It's a real eyesore.

Interesting to learn it's an AMD issue, though. I bought a 1440p monitor the same time that I upgraded from an Nvidia GTX 970 to an AMD RX 6700 XT. When I saw the orbit & gravity lines, I just assumed "damn this game doesn't like running in 1440p" and it didn't even occur to me this could be an AMD vs Nvidia issue...

Yeah, I wish this would get fixed. It's a real eyesore.

Interesting to learn it's an AMD issue, though. I bought a 1440p monitor the same time that I upgraded from an Nvidia GTX 970 to an AMD RX 6700 XT. When I saw the orbit & gravity lines, I just assumed "damn this game doesn't like running in 1440p" and it didn't even occur to me this could be an AMD vs Nvidia issue...
While some of the symptoms are GPU specific (e.g. orbit lines for AMD), the general anti-aliasing broken-nes is not - it affects all GPUs. It's a long-standing issue present since Odyssey's release, with major impact for many players. Here's a thread on this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/any-updates-on-anti-aliasing-work.600982/ and here's the corresponding issue tracker issue (please up-vote): https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/32228 .

Testing out the old Radeon VII still works but a bit slower in VR. I was able to land on planets with 23.2.1.

Didn’t test the 6900xt because the 7900xtx showed me the mangled planets in windows.

The good news is playing ED under Linux in VR was the breath of fresh air that was needed after waiting nine months for a fix. Just haven’t tried to land because I’m learning how to setup my EVO and pedals the Linux way.

So we’ll see how this goes for the unforeseeable future.

If the driver issue is not going to be addressed by AMD, Can Frontier include a workaround in game at the very least? Do they even know what's causing the issue?

So far, this is the only game I'm having this issue with while using newer drivers- and having to revert to older drivers just to play this game isn't a viable solution given the ramifications of performance increases with the newer drivers for all other games. It would sure be nice if Frontier could at least give us an indication if they are even working on a solution, or just passing the buck to AMD.

If the driver issue is not going to be addressed by AMD, Can Frontier include a workaround in game at the very least? Do they even know what's causing the issue?

So far, this is the only game I'm having this issue with while using newer drivers- and having to revert to older drivers just to play this game isn't a viable solution given the ramifications of performance increases with the newer drivers for all other games. It would sure be nice if Frontier could at least give us an indication if they are even working on a solution, or just passing the buck to AMD.
The latest 23.2.1 drivers fix everything for me in ED, Space Engine an DayZ except the aliasing on ED orbit lines etc... which is a known issue since forever. I think that IS an fdev issue.

In the issue
was an interesting post
Just noting for those that are playing ED in VR with a WMR headset and SteamVR, Ive just discovered that if you use OpenXR with OpenComposite the broken planet rendering and landings no longer occurs.
So I gave it a try with my HP Reverb G2 and ...... it works !!!! Planets are fine and are landable. But it comes with some costs, this solution bypasses SteamVR including Overlay and SteamVR apps completely.

I also stumbled over some obstacles:
  • Make sure that neither the MixedReality app starts SteamVR automatically nor SteamVR is active when using OpenXR
  • In ED I have to set FPS very time to 120 (with 90 FPS limit) because this setting also limits FPS within VR (in my case)
In the moment I am tweaking the graphic settings within OpenXR to get an acceptable balance between quality and FPS.

At least it's a workaround for some but I hope FDev will fix it globally.

except the aliasing on ED orbit lines etc... which is a known issue since forever.
The 7000 Series drivers 'fixed' the orbit lines with 22.12.1 (first release) so this is 'exclusive' to 6000 series currently.
I think that IS an fdev issue.
It does seem to affect one generation of GPU only... The same driver on other generations does not have an issue - clever move by Frontier if they managed to only break a subset of the whole..

Still issues in EDO VR with 6000 & 7000 Series drivers though.

I tried to post something two times now, but my posts don't appear :(

Check out the post about OpenXR and OpenComposite within

for me with HP Reverb G2, it worked !
But it comes with some costs, this solution bypasses SteamVR including Overlay and SteamVR apps completely.
I also stumbled over some obstacles:
  • Make sure that neither the MixedReality app starts SteamVR automatically nor SteamVR is active when using OpenXR
  • In ED I have to set FPS very time to 120 (with 90 FPS limit) because this setting also limits FPS within VR (in my case)
In the moment I am tweaking the graphic settings within OpenXR to get an acceptable balance between quality and FPS.
At least it's a workaround for some but I hope FDev will fix it globally.

Still issues in EDO VR with 6000 & 7000 Series drivers though.
Exactly.

Running AMD Radeon 6700xt in VR with EDO here. Anything above 22.5.1 breaks planets.

On the same system, if I swap to the GeForce 3080, I don't have this issue. I have yet to try the old Vega 64, but I'm pretty sure it would probably not have this issue with newer drivers either.

just for gits and shingles, I may do this later and post the results.

The 7000 Series drivers 'fixed' the orbit lines with 22.12.1 (first release) so this is 'exclusive' to 6000 series currently.

It does seem to affect one generation of GPU only...

Today I learned, good to know and thanks for that.

It does not normally affect me as I have the orbit lines toggle with a key bind and usually off.

23.2.1 was is global Driver updates from AMD after all the Issues... The December and january versions were very specific GPU updates only...

They have returned to supporting every body again with updates not just a few GPUs...
Windows 11 fixes are key...
AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.2.1 Release Notes
Article Number
RN-RAD-WIN-23-2-1
Highlights
Support for:
Forspoken™
Up to 7% increase in performance for Forspoken @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-524
Dead Space™
IREE compiler using MLIR interface on Vulkan.
Additional Vulkan® extensions. Click here for more information.
Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs now have support for newly introduced streaming capabilities including pre-filter toggle, pre-analysis feature and CAML technology.
A new version of AMD Link improves overall connectivity across all supported Radeon products, RX 400 series and newer, so you can game from anywhere on virtually any device.
Boost your performance with AMD Software - read the latest blog HERE and learn how this newly unified driver delivers performance gains since Windows 11 first launched.
Game Optimizations
Up to 4% increase in performance for Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-518
Up to 3% increase in performance for Sniper Elite 5 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-519
Up to 6% increase in performance for Shadow of the Tomb Raider @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-520
Up to 7% increase in performance for Quake II RTX @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-521
Up to 4% increase in performance for Hitman 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-522
Up to 6% increase in performance for Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-523
Up to 19% increase in performance for F1 2022 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-525
Up to 9% increase in performance for DOOM Eternal @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-526
Up to 4% increase in performance for Borderlands 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 22.11.2 RS-527
Up to 4% increase in performance for Hogwarts Legacy @ 4K using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.1 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950 XT and Radeon™ 7900 XTX, versus the previous software driver version (22.11.2 for 6950 XT, 23.1.2 for 7900 XTX) RS-530

Fixed Issues
AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition may fail to launch with the error message “Delayed Write Failed” on Microsoft® Windows® 11 version 22H2.
Poor performance and load time may be observed while playing SpaceEngine™.
Corruption may be observed while scrolling the points shop in STEAM™ on Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs.
Performance drop may be observed during Fortnite™ and YouTube playback with Enhanced Sync enabled on some AMD Graphics Products such as AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT.
Corruption or game crash may be observed while playing Door Kickers 2™.
Missing or flickering textures may be observed while playing Emergency 4™.
Application crash may be observed when launching Baldur's Gate 3™ using Vulkan® API on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Stuttering may be observed while playing Sea of Thieves™ on Radeon™ RX 6000 and above series GPUs.
Corruption may be observed while playing Battlefield™ 4 with Post Process Quality settings set to high or ultra on Radeon™ RX 6000 and above series GPUs.
White foliage may be observed while playing Hogwarts Legacy™ on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Intermittent system stuttering or UI flickering may occur when two videos are simultaneously playing using chromium-based browsers on some multi-display configurations.

Known Issues
High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configurations on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Application crash may be observed while opening Premium Gold Packs in EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23.
Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower-than-expected performance on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
AMD Bug Report Tool pop-up or system hang may be observed after driver upgrade on some hybrid graphics notebooks. Users are recommended to use the factory reset install option as a workaround.
Corruption may be briefly observed when moving Netflix video between displays or minimize-to-fullscreen on some AMD Products such as AMD Ryzen™ 7 6800U.
Certain videos played with Movies and TV may briefly show corruption when moving the window between displays on some AMD Graphics Products such as AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
Maximum encode bitrate is limited to 100Mbps for certain applications.
Important Notes
AMD Link users running Radeon RX 7000 series GPUs will need to update to a newer version of AMD Link now available on various platforms.
AMD is working with the game developers of Hogwarts Legacy™ to resolve performance issues when enabling ray tracing.

The list is way long after 3 months of nothing.. lol

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.2.2 Release becomes the "recommended version" replacing 22.5 so Everybody should be on this version if they're updating ...

Highlights
Support for:
Atomic Heart™
Company of Heroes™ 3
Up to 13% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 7900XTX, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-528
Up to 14% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 7900XT, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-529
Up to 9% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 6950XT, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-530
Up to 9% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 6800XT, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-531
Up to 7% increase in performance for Company of Heroes 3 @ 4k, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ 23.2.2 on the Radeon™️ RX 6650XT, versus the previous software driver version 23.2.1 RS-532

Fixed Issues
Corruption may be briefly observed when moving Netflix video between displays or minimize-to-fullscreen on some AMD Products such as AMD Ryzen™ 7 6800U.
Maximum encode bitrate is limited to 100Mbps for certain applications.
AMD Bug Report Tool pop-up or system hang may be observed after driver upgrade on some hybrid graphics notebooks.
Application crash may be observed while playing Hitman 3™ with ray tracing settings enabled.
Valve Index® VR headset may show a blank screen with 144Hz refresh rate setting on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Certain videos played with Movies and TV may briefly show corruption when moving the window between displays on some AMD Graphics Products such as AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
Situational performance drop may be observed in DirectX® 11 based games on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs using Ryzen™ processors.

Known Issues
High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configurations on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Application crash may be observed while opening Premium Gold Packs in EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23.
Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower-than-expected performance on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
Metrics overlay may intermittently re-size to 50% after gameplay.
Corruption may be observed in Returnal™ in certain scenes with ray tracing enabled on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.2.2 Release becomes the "recommended version" replacing 22.5 so Everybody should be on this version if they're updating ...

[...]
It may be the required version, but
  • i get a blank screen on boot when my Index is connected (works with 22.5.1)
  • i get messed up planet textures (works with 22.5.1)
I am going back to 22.5.1

Edit: I am playing in VR

Last edited:
There seems to be spark of hope. In a thread on the AMD forum

is now an entry of an official AMD admin which says

Thanks for the posts.
We are currently investigating an issue whereby Plants can become visually corrupted, and you cannot always land on plants. This is affecting Elite Dangerous in VR.
I'll update the thread once I have more information to share.

So maybe AMD will fix it someday.

Top Bottom