AMD RX 6000 series driver issues & workarounds

Okay, it looks like it works now. DDUed the system again, reinstalled your files, and it works now as usual. My HUD colors are not correct (I forgot to remove EDHM), but now I wonder what I could keep out of your setup vers digging around in that 3dmigoto app.

I want to test this out some more.

This is exactly what 2D looks like without the shader workaround. Probably needs a different hash for VR. You should take a look at the 3Dmigoto documentation, enable hunting, and find which shaders your setup needs to bypass by on-foot content.

Frontier is aware of the issue, but have not announced a fix. AMD might be aware of the issue, but have not announced a fix. A patch for this issue might come next game or driver version, or never.

For non-VR setups, Workaround #2 involves editing a single variable in a text file and putting three files in the game directory. If you figured out how to install the game, this should not be difficult.
Well reading between the lines... I'm hearing it as, don't hold your breath mate :) ... I'll give workaround 2 a try at some point maybe. Thanks for the info.

now I wonder what I could keep out of your setup vers digging around in that 3dmigoto app.

EDHM uses 3Dmigoto. As referenced in the OP and noted in post #7, all you need to do is put the lines to disable the problematic shader in the d3dx.ini it already uses.

Specifically, this goes in your d3d.ini:
INI:
[ShaderOverride-cdec4a73fdecbea7]
Hash=cdec4a73fdecbea7
Handling=skip

Crash to desktop at game start with method 2. This happens right before the main menu pops up (I can see the old Horizons menu with the SRV and station rotating in the background for 2 secs). Oddly enough I don't see shaders being regenerated at game start.

Hardware: RX 6900 on Ryzen 9 5900X, driver version 22.8.2.

Tried resetting shaders (via Adrenaline gui) and deleting GpuWorkTable.xml; no change.

Crash to desktop at game start with method 2. This happens right before the main menu pops up (I can see the old Horizons menu with the SRV and station rotating in the background for 2 secs). Oddly enough I don't see shaders being regenerated at game start.

Hardware: RX 6900 on Ryzen 9 5900X, driver version 22.8.2.

Tried resetting shaders (via Adrenaline gui) and deleting GpuWorkTable.xml; no change.

Can you post your AppConfig.xml here?

No, I didn't. After some more testing I think the shaders are regenerated but the progress message is invisible. When I clear the shader cache and remove GpuWorkTable.xml the game takes a lot longer to crash - it hangs quite a while after the intro movie, then I see the old horizons menu for a second, then the crash reporter.

I'm not sure what's causing that and I'm not able to reproduce it.

Is there anything in EliteDangerous64.exe.watchdog.log?

What happens if you don't use 3Dmigoto's files?

I've removed 3dmigoto, validated game files, rolled back to 22.5.1, started the game - this works. Rolled forward to 22.8.2, installed 3dmigoto, removed GpuWorkTable.xml and cleared the cache, and did the AppConfig change. Game starts now, regenerates shaders, but planet surfaces are very broken. Will roll back to 22.5.1 until Frontier fixes this I guess.

I've removed 3dmigoto, validated game files, rolled back to 22.5.1, started the game - this works. Rolled forward to 22.8.2, installed 3dmigoto, removed GpuWorkTable.xml and cleared the cache, and did the AppConfig change. Game starts now, regenerates shaders, but planet surfaces are very broken. Will roll back to 22.5.1 until Frontier fixes this I guess.

Is this a Steam install of the game?

That's correct.

I was thinking it could be an issue with Steam automatically validating files, but I'm not terribly familiar with how steam works in this regard.

The problem systems similar to what Balvald and TomCatT encountered in VR. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce either issue on my AMD systems, so I'm at a loss.

I was thinking it could be an issue with Steam automatically validating files, but I'm not terribly familiar with how steam works in this regard.
Nah, validation must be triggered, it's not automated. Also, other dx11 mods like reshade (which I'm not using with the current set-up) do work.

After a bit of digging I found it's a known issue with steam overlay: https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/issues/112
The issue was fixed in main but only after the last release (1.3.16, released Jan 2018; fix merged June 2019): https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/commit/2f96f59a90ce2fcb21f6ccaa52adec54db7cc158

Guess that means 2. does not work with Steam - maybe update the first post?

Good catch.

Should be trivial to disable the Steam overlay, but I will make note of the issue in the OP.

Maybe if this issue isn't resolved by the next recommended driver I'll build up to date 3Dmigoto binaries.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured if it was a universal issue there would be more reports of problems. That said, it does seem like a possible source of intermittent issues, so I've made note of it.

latest update did reset my Appconfig.xml. Manually changed PermitNativeDoubles to false again.

Confirmed for myself that hash to skip the blue shader is still the same and the skip is still needed.

Morbad, thank you thank you thank you!

Running fantastic in linux on rx6650xt using the settings you provided. Most appreciated.

Top Bottom